Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    I still have to chuckle when some people put the JJ films below V, or Nemesis, or Insurrection, etc. Like no just no.
    I don't put the JJ films higher or lower than any of them. They just aren't the same animal, and putting the Trek name on them doesn't makes them Star Trek. They have more in common with Die Hard than Star Trek.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Star Trek II: Wrath of Khan
    Star Trek: The Motion Picture

Boisterously Confused

I still have to chuckle when some people put the JJ films below V, or Nemesis, or Insurrection, etc. Like no just no.
    With the exception of Beyond, the reboots were not films. They were video games with their controller disabled.

Above all else, I want films with charisma, the ability to draw folks in and immerse them. I get that with Beyond, '09, but also The Final Frontier and Generations. Insurrection, Nemesis, and Into Darkness felt like either lectures or the filmmakers trying to overcompensate.

Nemesis taught me that action scenes really can be boring ("aft-port-ventral shields down to 37%!), and Into Darkness (oh look, another chase scene) repeated that lesson.

There is no such film as Star Trek Into Darkness.

Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

I ranked them higher and I consider them to be superior films from an entertainment standpoint than Insurrection, Nemesis, Motion Picture, or Final Frontier.

Having said that, it's pretty obvious and understanding why fans wouldn't rank them higher, or rank them at all. I may disagree with it, but I get it. I mean, it doesn't seem like Paramount is planning on revisiting that universe again, as Discovery and Picard will firmly take place in the pre-Kelvin/original timeline.

I enjoyed the first film in the Kelvinverse, but the level of stupidity and fan service in the second film just annihilated the momentum for me. Beyond was ok, but really took all the meat off the bones and went with cotton candy instead. The subpar performance of Into Darkness at the box office seemed to make Paramount panic. Then when Beyond dipped even lower, well ...

The series was a nice idea
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by Beaddle View Post
    What about the undeserved hate the reboot JJ Abrams Star Trek gets? Into Darkness should have happened differently, however Star Trek 2009 is a top star trek movie, I usually have a hard time convincing the old school Aristotle TOS trek purists of that. Is it snobbery or is it not adapting to something different?
    Personally, I don't think they're that good as Star Trek movies or movies in general. Made my peace with them a long time ago, though; just another piece of the franchise that I didn't like, which is what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormel View Post
    It's an unopular opinion but I have a soft spot for Generations. Certainly a notch above the ridiculousness of Insurrection and the drabness of Nemesis.
    I liked Generations, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormel View Post
    Into Darkness was freaking solid until its final act. The whole TWoK mirror thing is what keeps it from excellence and in mere greatness. Still haven't seen Beyond!
    Not a fan of Into Darkness; didn't really connect with the characters and the plot holes make it kinda hard to follow certain points in the story. Agree, though, that the TWOK stuff at the end was pretty cringeworthy.

I think Beyond was the best of the Abramsverse movies. It certainly captured the spirit of the old show the best, if that was something that you felt was laking in the other ones.

I think the fifth one was arguably worse on a craftsmanship level, although I think I find it a more interesting failure then I do the first two Abrams movies. The other two I could above those. IMHO, Insurrection is fine, but just something I didn't really connect to.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    I think the fifth one was arguably worse on a craftsmanship level, although I think I find it a more interesting failure then I do the first two Abrams movies. The other two I could above those. IMHO, Insurrection is fine, but just something I didn't really connect to.
    Not saying this would have made V better or worse, but sometimes whenever I watch ST09, I'm convinced that's the kind of movie that Shatner was aiming for with V. But he was hampered in both skill and resources (i.e. the powers that be cutting the budget for the rock-man fight, and cutting short the breach into the Great Barrier).

TFF was the first movie with an actual ground-level gun fight, the movie that was more action packed (as far as human levels go) than the predecessors, and the one that painted Kirk as a thrillseeker. As much as the first four movies focused on Shatner, TFF had Kirk revisiting the sense of exploration he was known for in the show, which helped spurn Pine-Kirk to join Starfleet. And cosmic anomalies played an important role in both films.

Essentially the things the Abrams movies are known(or are infamous) for are things Shatner exhibited in TFF, and it was a difference from the previous four movies.

Like many of you have a soft spot for Generations, I have a big soft spot for TFF. For me, its so bad its good. As a glimpse into the mind of Shatner, its equally compelling.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Empty is thy hand!

1 Wrath of Khan
    2 First Contact
    3 The Motion Picture
    4 The Undiscovered Country
    5 Search for Spock
    6 Final Frontier
    7 Insurrection
    8 Generations
    9 Voyage Home
    10 Nemesis

JJ's not on the radar. Have a chuckle.

To be quite honest, I only really love the movies with the original cast, but that's my Trek. Those are the characters I grew up with and that I'm more invested in still.

The JJ first movie is fine, I like it overall, even though I feel it was a bit dumbed down to appeal to a wider audience, and I think it worked because that movie was very successful and sold VERY well in home media too. After that, things went downhill for that franchise. They couldn't keep the momentum. Into Darkness still did well at the box office I think, but not as good as 2009. The original movies weren't huge at the BO but the writing quality was more consistent, and fans were still more invested in those characters.

I remember Beyond went through a bit of a rough patch as well-Orci was let go and there were script problems as well. (Yelchin's death didn't happen until after production was wrapped and the film was pretty much set to go).
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    Not saying this would have made V better or worse, but sometimes whenever I watch ST09, I'm convinced that's the kind of movie that Shatner was aiming for with V. But he was hampered in both skill and resources (i.e. the powers that be cutting the budget for the rock-man fight, and cutting short the breach into the Great Barrier).

TFF was the first movie with an actual ground-level gun fight, the movie that was more action packed (as far as human levels go) than the predecessors, and the one that painted Kirk as a thrillseeker. As much as the first four movies focused on Shatner, TFF had Kirk revisiting the sense of exploration he was known for in the show, which helped spurn Pine-Kirk to join Starfleet. And cosmic anomalies played an important role in both films.

Essentially the things the Abrams movies are known(or are infamous) for are things Shatner exhibited in TFF, and it was a difference from the previous four movies.
    Interesting thoughts. If we had "like" buttons, I would've mashed it (and why the heck do we not have "like" buttons in the first place, Mr. Moderator?).

Maybe. I will say that I do think that the fifth movie did shoot higher in terms of themes and story, while I think the Abrams movies contented themselves with the lowest-hanging fruit, they did have better action sequences and I do think that characterization has proven to be Abrams' strong suite in directing. Can't say I agree with all his choices in that regards to the latter in the '90 movie, but he did showcase them well. I didn't like his take on Kirk, for example, but I always felt like I understood who this Kirk was and why he was doing what he did.

Funny thing, though, in both movies, the bits I like the best are the quieter moments. Best scene in V was McCoy reliving his father's death and the opening in the original where Kirk, sr. was saying goodbye to his family.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Star Trek V gave us Captain Of The Mount, so we'll always have that. I'd still place it over STID though, and possibly Abrams Star Trek too depending on how generous I'm feeling toward his particular brand of flashy but competent emptiness at the moment. Generations, Nemesis, and the one on the planet of the space yokels, whatever that's called... they exist.