Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    All-New Member

I choose Runaways since it got me into comics in the first place and because of Alex

Quote Originally Posted by Songbird/Diamondback View Post
    Though I love some of Gileon's writing, I think he just does the same thing too much... "Partying is God's gift to the world" Like, he kinda keeps emphasizing this amazingness of raves and concerts and stuff, that when I tried to get into that whole lifestyle, I just ended up really depressed at the end of the night. The YA run feels like it entirely hinges on "Life is a party, so party as hard as you can!" sort of thing. The original run felt like it had heart. The volume 2 felt like it had to be as loud as possible to stay hip. It just didn't click with me, and it felt like it had no real message besides "PARTY HARD CAUSE YOU ARE YOUNG!"

As much as I originally based the first volume of Runaways, it does end pretty strong. It's just that REALLY STUPID Vampire arc that brings the series down. That and I thing Runaways and YA Vol 1 had better teams. YA Vol 2 was just a bunch of bros.

EDIT: I swear, I'm the only person who loves Stature on this board...
    I guess you weren't doing it right.

But Runaways hands down. Alex Wilder is a pretty cool character. Does anyone know if he's being seen in SW?

Interesting to see this discussion as I can't say I ever cared for either team very much, which is interesting as I read Runaways when I was 15. I'd say by default Young Avengers since I liked Cassie and Eli, and found most of the Runaways to be the kind of teen characters that turn me off 90% of young adult literature, but it's hard to say since this article brings up the second volume, which I didn't enjoy. I suppose I'm undecided.

I dislike most of the Runaways characters. Some of them immensely. So, despite some interesting stories along the way, I was never invested in most of them.

Victor's alright, but the rest I either loathe outright or couldn't care less about.

Young Avengers just seems to have a better cast, imho. Billy, Tommy, Kate, Teddy, and now America and Noh too... These are characters that I full loved on contact.

Granted there have been characters and plots I've been underwhelmed with, but even they were resolved in spectacular fashion that I enjoyed. 'Children's Crusade' is one of my favorite modern Marvel stories.
    Freedom is the ability to live without fear of persecution.

Astonishing Member The_Greatest_Username's Avatar

No, you're not. Cassie was my second favorite Young Avenger. Her current status of being depowered and (possibly) deaged is kind of a bummer.

I loved every single one of the original YA. Everyone.

But then we lost Cassie and Eli and we got an obnoxious Loki, a pointless Noh-Var and a so-so Miss America.

Initial excitement at the article deflated real fast when I realized it was about the recent Gillen run...
    I tried reading it but gave up after the first 3 tedious issues because the Mother villain was just so terrible and everybody seemed to be acting like complete imbeciles.
    Liked the art but not nearly enough to keep going.

Never read Runaways, it just never caught my attention.

Heinberg's original YA was superb, loved almost everything about it. Would get my vote over 90% of anything else except Nextwave and X-Statix.
    I was so hyped for Children's Crusade, but sadly it turned into an Avengers/X-Men show with the YA as collateral, where most of the team doesn't do jack squat and Cassie gets needlessly killed, total bummer.
    Haven't seen what's been going on with her since she was resurrected, but if she's depowered and de-aged then it sucks.
    At least Kate Bishop is being gloriously used in Hawkeye!

As far as I'm concerned Avengers Arena tramples both Runaways and Gillen YA.

CHOOSE between the Runaways and the Young Avengers??

Okay so firstly, the specificity of the question seems entirely unbalanced and unfair.
    We're talking about Volume 1 of the Runaways -- their inception and subsequent presumed finale (which we would be later/unexpectedly treated to a volume 2 and 3), versus Volume 2 (?) of the Young Avengers (Heinberg's being Volume 1, followed by a slew of participatory event morsels -- Civil War, Siege, Secret Invasion, Crusade--which let's be real, Crusade was volume 2, so Gillen's should really be called volume 3 imho).

My gawd.
    Putting aside the massive aesthetic juxtaposition alone -- we're talking INTRODUCTION vs. HISTORY ---"Meeting for the first time" vs. "Hello Old Friends".

Okay, SURE, the BKV's Runaways volume 1 deals with a band of plucky powered youths trying to navigate/defeat evil adults/parents.
    And, YEAH, Gillen's Young Avengers volume 2 deals with a band of plucky powered youths trying to navigate/defeat evil adults/parents.
    You've got me there.

But we're seriously comparing Alphona's and Mckelvie's work?? New to the buffet vs. Brought his stretch pants and ziploc baggies?
    Both artists WOW their respective readership with their sense of style and dynamism -- but each had remarkable support from additional artists. Norton's environment's took Mckelvie's figures to new depths and Strain's colors took Alphona's to incredible heights. And speaking specifically to their handling of the cast members, Mckelvie never misses an emotional or actiony beat, panel after panel,--The details! The Fashions! The camera angles! The Experimentation! Gah! Whereas Alphona's 2nd act stuff, and subsequent mastery (volumes 2, 3, and beyond) is exceedingly superior to his first act. The details! The Fashions! The camera angles! The Experimentation! Gah! So should consistency play a significant role in deciding who dominates, when the progression is something to marvel at as well?

But....
    For myself, asking a question like this is tantamount to asking which leg I wish to have severed from my body. I'm significantly attached to both, and its just painful to think about.
    Last edited by Fokken; 06-17-2015 at 05:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Project Initiative Cascada View Post
    People hate Stature???!! How can anyone ever hate her?
    Ask them. A lot of people seem to hate her here.

It's not so much 'hate' as it is an averison to the severe physical pain caused by the blood gushing from one's eyes every time they see her on the page.

I don't hate her, I just value my own health...
    Freedom is the ability to live without fear of persecution.

She's just an easy target for angst-bonding, is what I gather.
    To be fair -- each member of the Young Avengers has their own personal band of haters, as you well know.
    Haters complaining about haters is always so hilarious.

Quote Originally Posted by klinton View Post
    It's not so much 'hate' as it is an averison to the severe physical pain caused by the blood gushing from one's eyes every time they see her on the page.

I don't hate her, I just value my own health...
    Which is me with Avengers Arena

Mighty Member America / Bucky / Russia's Avatar

Though I love some of Gileon's writing, I think he just does the same thing too much... "Partying is God's gift to the world" Like, he kinda keeps emphasizing this amazingness of raves and concerts and stuff, that when I tried to get into that whole lifestyle, I just ended up really depressed at the end of the night. The YA run feels like it entirely hinges on "Life is a party, so party as hard as you can!" sort of thing. The original run felt like it had heart. The volume 2 felt like it had to be as loud as possible to stay hip. It just didn't click with me, and it felt like it had no real message besides "PARTY HARD CAUSE YOU ARE YOUNG!"
    Well, I'm no fan of parties, but I'm not expecting fictional characters to be an exact reflection of me. Thankfully the LGBT themes - the idea that a perfect relationship isn't always perfect and CAN break up; or the guy who is presumed straight coming out as bi; or the fact "most of my friends are LGBT" - were able to resonate with me. Oh and Northstar listening to 60s music.
    Films blog / Books blog / Comics blog / Tumblr / Twitter / Flickr / Photobucket / Dailymotion / YouTube
    My BFI Film Academy short film Hold-Out
    Review column on Doctor Who fansite kasterborous.com
    CBR's LGBT Community

Quote Originally Posted by America / Bucky / Russia View Post
    Well, I'm no fan of parties, but I'm not expecting fictional characters to be an exact reflection of me. Thankfully the LGBT themes - the idea that a perfect relationship isn't always perfect and CAN break up; or the guy who is presumed straight coming out as bi; or the fact "most of my friends are LGBT" - were able to resonate with me. Oh and Northstar listening to 60s music.
    Honey no. Noh-VARR.
    Not Northstar.

I have to say, I didn't read the article but this thread has been kind of interesting.

Honestly, I did not care for Gillen's Young Avengers at all. With all the love it was receiving on these boards and this site when it was running, I thought I was the only one. I agree with what others have said, the book just seemed to lack heart for me. They kind of came off as little narcissists a lot of the time and I couldn't really connect with any of the characters. It was all "look how young and hip and cool I am." I liked the first volume of YA, much better.

Also (and this is a personal pet peeve), nothing turns me off more than when someone starts speaking in "text speak." As soon as someone drops an "OMG," I'm out lol.