Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Paradox View Post
    It's not about "ownership" or "prohibitions". It's about manners. It's not illegal, it's just exceedingly rude.
    Speaking of "manners" and being "rude" -- your little edits like "misses the point" aren't cute...

Quote Originally Posted by heretic View Post
    In terms of music (the first thing that came to my head), when the artists are willing to acknowledge the people they are inspired by openly, rather than claim the music sprung from their own brow like Athena.

The BS Elvis claimed about black people only being fit to shine his shoes is something I will never let slide.
    Hate to tell you this, but you're holding a grudge over something that never happened.

That line was created by a white-owned magazine for black people. Supposedly it was something Elvis said on a show called "Person to Person" in the city of Boston.

At that point in his life, Elvis had never actually been to Boston, nor had he appeared on the show Person to person.

Elvis was about as Un-racists as a guy gets. He grew up in a black neighborhood, went to black only music events, and openly talked about his love for gospel, R&B, and soul and the black musicians that inspired him. James Brown and Sammy Davis Jr both referred to Elvis as a good friend of theirs and everybody he knew said that he treated people the same regardless of skin color.

That was the problem. The of the time weren't ready for that kind of acceptance yet and wanted to try and paint the guy as a racist.

It's been fun. Toodles. Paradox's Avatar

ABH-1979 doesn't like my schtick:

Speaking of "manners" and being "rude" -- your little edits like "misses the point" aren't cute...
    To be honest, most people disagree.

Should I go get some reviews?
    'Dox out.

"It’s cold and it’s mean-spirited and I don’t like it here anymore." - Alan Moore

"Can it, you nit!" - Violet Beauregard

"And Paradox is never correct. About anything."- Kid Omega

The Conclave group page on Primus (a work in progress)
    Champions: The Conclave (an updating Facebook Gallery)
    Decorum & Friends (A City of Heroes archive)

To be honest, most people disagree.

Should I go get some reviews?
    I'm glad you have fans... but I thought we were having an actual discussion. Maybe you can tell me, with a little more effort, what point you think I missed.

That would be why I said "just about everyone" instead of "everyone".
    I'm saying it's not a minority of people who don't find it problematic.

Quote Originally Posted by TroubleWithTrebles View Post
    How do you feel about the Hetero actor who plays Cam on Modern Family making a mint off being campier than Harvey Feirstein?
    Well at worst it's really only a disservice to openly gay actors. though some would argue acting is about transformation and not playing someone like yourself. A hetero actor can profit of playing an LGTBQ character but it can still benefit that same community in general.

ABH-1979 really did miss it:

I'm glad you have fans... but I thought we were having an actual discussion. Maybe you can tell me, with a little more effort, what point you think I missed.
    The point I posted. That it's not about "ownership", etc.
    'Dox out.

"It’s cold and it’s mean-spirited and I don’t like it here anymore." - Alan Moore

Tracer Bullet almost lost me in the double negative:

I'm saying it's not a minority of people who don't find it problematic.
    I don't know that I'd agree, but without running a poll, I don't think we can be sure. I'm operating too much on anecdotal to make it factual.
    Last edited by Paradox; 05-31-2014 at 12:10 PM.
    'Dox out.

The point I posted. That it's not about "ownership", etc.
    It's that simple, huh? Fair enough.

I guess I'll wait for someone else to post something a little more substantial...

I don't know what more you need, but OK by me.
    'Dox out.

What about Black Americans who adopt African language and aesthetics in almost fetishitic way? Is it appropriation to adopt these elements, often coming from a variety of disparate tribes and cultures, to fashion an Afrocentric identity?

Quote Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet View Post
    What about Black Americans who adopt African language and aesthetics in almost fetishitic way? Is it appropriation to adopt these elements, often coming from a variety of disparate tribes and cultures, to fashion an Afrocentric identity?
    Oh trust, there's a backlash against that as well (see: n**gas with ankhs). There's a line between appreciation and exploitation as well.

But yeah, the line is about respect. Respect is shown by effort, attitude, research, and actual discourse between you and the specific culture you are sharing with.

It's like the difference between appreciating and objectifying women.

Quote Originally Posted by Double 0 View Post
    Oh trust, there's a backlash against that as well (see: n**gas with ankhs). There's a line between appreciation and exploitation as well.

But yeah, the line is about respect. Respect is shown by effort, attitude, research, and actual discourse between you and the specific culture you are sharing with.

It's like the difference between appreciating and objectifying women.
    Can you provide a positive example of what you're saying?

BANNED

The distinction ultimately comes down to artistic merit. If you're going to be borrowing elements from another culture, the best way to do it respectfully is to do it well. The problem comes about in situations such as white musicians copying black forms poorly, but becoming more successful anyway because of racist attitudes.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by TroubleWithTrebles View Post
    How do you feel about the Hetero actor who plays Cam on Modern Family making a mint off being campier than Harvey Feirstein?
    He plays the role well enough. So as a gay man, I don't give a rat's ass... this might also be because I actually know guys who make Cam look like a butch daddy. He's an actor who plays a comedic role, I had to chuckle unapologetically at some of the jokes, so he's pretty succesful at doing his job.

How do I feel about it? Delighted, he's actually not at all offensive... now if you want to complain about the way Phill is being characterized... you might have a point.