Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Double 0 View Post
    But they are considered it, namely the recent two. Despite what happened in said recent two.

Are they really though? I don't recall them being praised for being racially or ethnically diverse, unless you're suggesting some other kind of diversity.
    Last edited by Tracer Bullet; 06-08-2014 at 03:29 PM.

Unless someone is trying to insult and demean a culture or group of people, I really don't think you should care what other people are wearing. It's their decision to make, not yours.

The whole idea of culture needs to be lessened unless when talking about the problems of said culture (like rape culture for example). Focus on the individual, not the culture they come from.

Quote Originally Posted by 7thangel View Post
    then that's the fault of the schools. it's there responsibility to make sure that respect is given and understood. bringing items, food, and clothing to show and educate/bring awareness isn't appropriation.

the whole point is to research, learn about different perspectives and needs. they research what a stated country position is. and they're encouraged to think of solutions. claiming that it's white privilege in scare quotes, something you obviously don't believe exists, which makes this a waste of time due to it being disingenuous, ignores that, you know, many of the kids that participate in the u.s./canada aren't white.
    See, I was obviously playing devil's advocate (I think cultural appropriation is B.S.). I think the Model UN is a great way to learn about other cultures. I think it's fantastic to see the students dress in the traditional garb of the countries they are assigned to. IF they are doing it a non-mocking way. The IDEA of business dress means WESTERN business dress (ironic in its inherit racism, huh?). I've participated and been to many Model U.N. functions and know first hand that while researching other countries MOST students still bring in their country's biases in their debate despite how 'method' their approach is in putting themselves in the shoes of another culture/country. No matter how hard they try, there is ALWAYS an element of this country should do <this> OR would do <this>.

Culture Appropriation is an evil strategy to decide who & when another country/culture is being mocked. It's thought control.

I read earlier on this thread that it was "classy" for Pharell to apologize for wearing a headdress on a magazine cover. I think it's a PR move. What would have been classy is if Pharrell used the opportunity to discuss his Native American heritage and the role of the headdress in it. He obviously wasn't mocking or trying to demean any Native American culture, but I'm not a member of the thought police.
    Team Photo & Silver Surfer Flash Mob

SHSO Name: Gallant Centurion Spy

CBR/SHSO Player Directory

If you want your squad name added to the CBR/SHSO player directory or our wiki let me know!

If people are allowed to choose what gender they are, is it unreasonable to assume people can choose what race they are?

If you want your squad name added to the CBR/SHSO player directory or our wiki let me know!

Quote Originally Posted by CenturianSpy View Post
    If people are allowed to choose what gender they are, is it unreasonable to assume people can choose what race they are?
    Yeah, I don't see how any of this is harming anyone.

As ABH said, no one owns culture. Cultural appropriation was bad when there was a clear aggressor stealing from a certain group of people (like the Europeans' treatment of Native Americans), but that's really not the case in the first world in 2014. Some white guy having dreadlocks is such an incredible non-issue compared to everything wrong else the world (like human rights violations, poverty, disease, the threat of nuclear weapons, global warming etc).

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mastermind View Post
    Yeah, I don't see how any of this is harming anyone.

As ABH said, no one owns culture. Cultural appropriation was bad when there was a clear aggressor stealing from a certain group of people (like the Europeans' treatment of Native Americans), but that's really not the case in the first world in 2014.
    Since when? It didn't just magically disappear; the stealing is still happening. Domestically, and especially internationally.

The whole idea of culture needs to be lessened unless when talking about the problems of said culture (like rape culture for example). Focus on the individual, not the culture they come from.
    I'm having a hard time making sense of this. The idea of culture should only be relevant when it's a critique of culture? Individuals matter more than the culture that shapes them except if it's a negative aspect about that culture like it's behavior regarding rape? So does culture matter or does it not?

Quote Originally Posted by Double 0 View Post
    Since when? It didn't just magically disappear; the stealing is still happening. Domestically, and especially internationally.
    Are you really going to compare the life of anyone of the First World in 2014 to the Trail of Tears? It's not even remotely comparable.

Yes, racism is still a big problem almost everywhere in the world. But no, we are not currently going around and robbing countries of their cultures by force. Unless you count oil as part of culture, which is not in anyway unique to Arabic cultures.

No one person owns a culture. But there is a collective in a culture, and hey, sometimes they'd like to be treated with respect. Like for instance, when they are historically not respected.

When I hear "Nobody owns a culture" it tends to be a slippery slope to "I want to play in your culture and I have the right to do that because, well, I want to, so why shouldn't I?"

Followed up by "I don't mind if people of color write about white people like me, so why should they mind if white people like me write about people of color?"

Followed up by "You should take it as a compliment! Because it's saying that white people are boring and commonplace, while your culture is all cool and exotic and something people would want to read about!"

And then there's a fringe responses, like the ones in this thread. Does anyone not see the privilege from any of these quotes?

But really, there is no obligation to respect people or a culture. Do whatever you want. Just don't get hyper-defensive when someone calls you an *******. Don't blame the victim for feeling disrespected, and then ask for them to "be civil" or to let it slide.
    Last edited by Double 0; 06-08-2014 at 04:14 PM.

Are you really going to compare the life of anyone of the First World in 2014 to the Trail of Tears?
    No comparison, but there is still a clear aggressor (and many who choose to join in with the aggressor, whether they benefit or not), and there's still cultural theft and destruction within the US, and outside of it. Just because you can't see it, or want to compare it to something very extreme, doesn't mean it non-existent.

Yes, racism is still a big problem almost everywhere in the world. But no, we are not currently going around and robbing countries of their cultures by force. Unless you count oil as part of culture, which is not in anyway unique to Arabic cultures.
    How do you think this oil is taken? The transactions, the land taken, the people forced out of their homes? The same people we see as victims that need to be saved, or cultures that are so unique? You're right, it's not limited to Arabic cultures; Latin American, African, and Eastern Asian countries suffer from it too, in many cases for reasons other than oil.
    Last edited by Double 0; 06-08-2014 at 04:16 PM.

Extraordinary Member

People can choose what race they are? Really? Where? This is a problem with a lot of the dismissing of cultural appropriation, in order to do it you have to indulge in heavy fantasy.

Quote Originally Posted by Paradox View Post
    Basically don't treat other peoples' cultures, particularly those you've either enslaved or massacred nearly out of existence, like they're a Halloween costume.
    Given how women have been oppressed and dominated over men in various ways, historically and in contemporary times, isn't something like drag queen performances by cis men an act of appropriation? Womanhood as a costume you can put on and take off when convenient

Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post
    People can choose what race they are? Really? Where? This is a problem with a lot of the dismissing of cultural appropriation, in order to do it you have to indulge in heavy fantasy.
    That response was in response to the male who spent mucho dinero (phrase culturally appropriated from Spanish-speaking people) to transform himself into a 'Korean'. Xiahn Nishi (the Brazilian man who went under the knife) does not identify himself as Caucasian, Latino, or Korean but something "in between". I stand by my posit that if one can choose gender one can choose race. It's not "heavy fantasy" if there is a friggin' example in the question.

I dismiss Cultural Appropriation because it's bunk.

I don't buy that as a gut reaction, but ok.