Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Default War Dogz webcomic

Greetings everyone, I nervously launched a web-comic series recently. Its been everything I hoped for and more.

Comic description
    The War Dawgs are a fictional team of four anthropomorphic canines, who were born in a research laboratory. Genetically altered for warfare, they escape with the unwitting aide of a janitor. Their adventure has just begun as they try to make sense of the world.

War dawgz - War Dawgz

Feel free to offer suggestions or advice on how I can make anything better. Thanks for checking out this thread.

Spectacular Member

I wish my pooch was a War Dawg. This is such a good comic.

BANNED

I have a couple of questions/observations:

You're drawing the pages on regular paper and then you scan them in. Do you use a pencil or do you use ink? I'm guessing you're using a pencil and then you're playing with the contrast in photoshop to make the lines a bit darker. Is that correct?

If you're using photoshop I'd advise you to start using layers and use the multiply setting while colouring. This allow you to avoid tiny white bits and pieces near the lines you've drawn, and will accentuate the linework.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by End of Time View Post
    I have a couple of questions/observations:

You're drawing the pages on regular paper and then you scan them in. Do you use a pencil or do you use ink? I'm guessing you're using a pencil and then you're playing with the contrast in photoshop to make the lines a bit darker. Is that correct?

If you're using photoshop I'd advise you to start using layers and use the multiply setting while colouring. This allow you to avoid tiny white bits and pieces near the lines you've drawn, and will accentuate the linework.
    great observation...I am doing exactly that. Thanks for the advice. I am also new to photoshop CS..the whole layer thing is a mystery, I can do simple smoke effects and layer sound fx...but as far as using it properly..im not there.

I know this is asking alot but could you explain the layering process a bit more..or direct me to a url that explains how to do what you suggest..

Again thanks for the comments.

BANNED

Decent enough tutorial on youtube:

and a bit harder to wade through:
    http://www.photoshopessentials.com/p...odes/multiply/

I agree about the Photoshop layers. It really improved my digitally-colored work.

Also, this is a good opening. I especially like the "BLAH BLAH BLAH" parts in the security guard's dialogue--stuff like that gets me to turn pages.

How long can fan fiction be on this thread?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Top Carnivore View Post
    How long can fan fiction be on this thread?
    The Artist/Writer showcase thread description is as follows---Show off your creative side! Share your sketches, drawings, paintings, fan-fic, poetry...any kind of creative work. Also discuss tools, techniques, and resources related to your craft.

I think your fan-fic can last as long as you want it to last as long as there is no excessive bumping of thread. But you may have to specifically ask the mod of this art/writer forum.

Quote Originally Posted by End of Time View Post
    Decent enough tutorial on youtube:

and a bit harder to wade through:
    .photoshopessentials help
    I appreciate the tips. I had no idea how to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by plunderpuss View Post
    I agree about the Photoshop layers. It really improved my digitally-colored work.

Also, this is a good opening. I especially like the "BLAH BLAH BLAH" parts in the security guard's dialogue--stuff like that gets me to turn pages.
    Thanks. I was inspired by Charlie Brown's teachers wah wah wah voices from those classic Peanuts cartoons
    Last edited by ExcelsiorPrime; 05-01-2014 at 11:00 AM.

Cool stuff man. Ive always been fond of anthropomorphic comics like Ninja Turtles & Bucky O'Hare. You have an interesting concept, which is the hardest part for most. Just keep drawing, coloring and learning. Were all students of the craft.

If you are interested in studying comics more deeply I would suggest reading Scott McClouds "Understanding Comics". This has really expanded my knowledge on sequential storytelling and changed the way I approach it. Im also in the process of reading Will Eisners "Comics and Sequential Art" right now, can get back to you on that later lol.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    Cool stuff man. Ive always been fond of anthropomorphic comics like Ninja Turtles & Bucky O'Hare. You have an interesting concept, which is the hardest part for most. Just keep drawing, coloring and learning. Were all students of the craft.

If you are interested in studying comics more deeply I would suggest reading Scott McClouds "Understanding Comics". This has really expanded my knowledge on sequential storytelling and changed the way I approach it. Im also in the process of reading Will Eisners "Comics and Sequential Art" right now, can get back to you on that later lol.

Ill check that out at the library. Also thanks to your and End Of Time Photoshop help..I think I got better.

Quote Originally Posted by ExcelsiorPrime View Post
    Ill check that out at the library. Also thanks to your and End Of Time Photoshop help..I think I got better.
    I agree, I already see an improvement. Good advice by End of Time and Plunderpuss.

I think its easiest to think of layers as transparent sheets that can be stacked on top of each other in a pile and reorganized freely. Each layer can even have different settings to create some interesting effects.. try putting a 2-3 color gradient layer on top and multiplying it. Lower the opacity a bit, reverse or change the colors in the gradient for different effects.

BANNED

Last edited by ExcelsiorPrime; 05-12-2014 at 04:14 AM.

I just want to say War Dogz is a very interesting comic! If you keep creating more of it I will try to follow as much as I can

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Rei View Post
    I just want to say War Dogz is a very interesting comic! If you keep creating more of it I will try to follow as much as I can
    Thanks. I am having so much fun working on it. I appreciate the interest.

BANNED