Page 474 of 492 FirstFirst ... 374424464470471472473474475476477478484 ... LastLast
Results 7,096 to 7,110 of 7375

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    Has anyone seen Marvel Rising: Secret Warriors yet? I had a ton of fun with it. To me, this show feels at least on par with quality of the shows I enjoyed as a kid, although the animation is a bit rougher. Victor/Exile has a really interesting power set and I like him a lot. Ms. America Chavez manages to still be my favorite character. Although, did MAC straight-up murder that Kree Accuser?
    I enjoyed it too. Compared to the other Marvel cartoons it felt much more like the older shows, and even reminded me of some DC cartoons. The ending even seemed to be setting up something similar to Young Justice.

Visually it was much better looking then pretty much any other Marvel cartoon even if it was still rough and choppy in some areas. A certain character who had a cameo at the end looked pretty cheap, all the more surprising considering how major a character they were.

They did kind of lean hard on the Inhumans being Mutants stand-in's in my opinion, at least up until Hala showed up. Kind of surprised they never acknowledged the Royal Family at all, even with Lockjaw there.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I enjoyed it too. Compared to the other Marvel cartoons it felt much more like the older shows, and even reminded me of some DC cartoons. The ending even seemed to be setting up something similar to Young Justice.

Visually it was much better looking then pretty much any other Marvel cartoon even if it was still rough and choppy in some areas. A certain character who had a cameo at the end looked pretty cheap, all the more surprising considering how major a character they were.

They did kind of lean hard on the Inhumans being Mutants stand-in's in my opinion, at least up until Hala showed up. Kind of surprised they never acknowledged the Royal Family at all, even with Lockjaw there.
    I'm guessing they wanted to stay focused on the main cast, the Royal family could make an appearance in a possible short with maybe one of their kids joining the team since the 2017 SW must have had the influence to make this and Ahura plus Leer showed up in that.

This was made before the fox deal was looking good right, but they do include a line that while yes Mutants are the most associated to being a representation of someone being hated on the line "they should all go back to where they came from" is a line that really doesn't work on Mutants.

Quote Originally Posted by Noek View Post
    I'm guessing they wanted to stay focused on the main cast, the Royal family could make an appearance in a possible short with maybe one of their kids joining the team since the 2017 SW must have had the influence to make this and Ahura plus Leer showed up in that.
    The weirdest thing is I think Medusa's current cartoon VA (Catherine Taber) was an additional voice in the movie (specifically voicing the female SHIELD Agent who arrests Daisy), so I was expecting at least a Medusa appearance.
    This was made before the fox deal was looking good right, but they do include a line that while yes Mutants are the most associated to being a representation of someone being hated on the line "they should all go back to where they came from" is a line that really doesn't work on Mutants.
    This does feel like it was produced back when every Marvel cartoon had to tie-in to the Inhumans.

I guess that line wouldn't make sense for Mutants, but it does feel like something a bigot would probably say about a Mutant. A lot of times I felt like they could have substituted "Mutant" for "Inhuman" in that movie and it wouldn't have changed a thing, at least up until we got into the Kree/Hala stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Owl View Post
    This is a bit of topic, but I have managed to see the future avengers anime (the one with inhumans in it). The season two has not been dubbed yet, so I didn't undenstand a word, but there are still some things I can tell you.
    The animation quality of their powers is the best I have seen so far in any animation. Black bolt is nerfed but still wery powerful. Medusa only moves her hair when she fights (so far) but when she does it look awesome. One thing I dont undestand is that with exeption of Crystal and Maximus none of them have irises or pupils. Attilan is on the moon.
    Now plot wise (they appeared in only two episodes so far).....they seem to have come to earth for Kamala and one other character. Maximus is scheming something.
    I will wait for an english dub to continue watching, but I will give it a shot.
    I am super excited to see this. I loved the images I saw from this and now you saying their power depictions are the best you have seen in animation gets me really excited.

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

I think there's room for the royal family in the future or not. It helps that I'm reading Amazing Adventures right now to see that the "Inhumans as a scary other" has existed pretty much from the beginning. What I noticed is the show seemed to tap into the immigration aspects to a degree. "Go back where you came from" is something someone would say to an Inhuman, not to a mutant. No one who is Inhuman in the show came from somewhere else, but they are confused for those who did because they belong to the same race. To me, mutants have clearly never had a monopoly on being hated and feared, but a good writer would find a way to treat the two very differently.

This does feel like it was produced back when every Marvel cartoon had to tie-in to the Inhumans.
    I mean, I don't know how a show with Kamala, Dante, and Daisy could possibly not tie into Inhumans.

ETA: Since I'm likely to end up double posting with my next Amazing Adventures review, let me ask this now? As part of the read through, I'm going to be reading Avengers #95. Does anyone remember which issue of Royals retcons the story?
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Royals #3 is the one where the maximus retcons come in

Quote Originally Posted by Keyotheseasons View Post
    I am super excited to see this. I loved the images I saw from this and now you saying their power depictions are the best you have seen in animation gets me really excited.
    Well, I am comparing it to 1994 Fantastic Four animated series, agents of S.M.A.S.H., ultimate spider-man and avengers tv show all of which have very simple animation but still. It looks good. I hope it gets good ratings. The first season didn't do well (I haven't seen it, only read about it.). But this is new season so I am hopefull. Maybe it could help inhumans to dig themselves from the hole the live action tv show got them in to.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    I think there's room for the royal family in the future or not. It helps that I'm reading Amazing Adventures right now to see that the "Inhumans as a scary other" has existed pretty much from the beginning. What I noticed is the show seemed to tap into the immigration aspects to a degree. "Go back where you came from" is something someone would say to an Inhuman, not to a mutant. No one who is Inhuman in the show came from somewhere else, but they are confused for those who did because they belong to the same race. To me, mutants have clearly never had a monopoly on being hated and feared, but a good writer would find a way to treat the two very differently.
    I agree, I just don't feel like the movie did a very good job of that.
    I mean, I don't know how a show with Kamala, Dante, and Daisy could possibly not tie into Inhumans.
    True, but it just reminded me of when NuHumans were put into prominent roles in the cartoons and TV shows in order to promote the property back when it was more of a priority of Marvel media then it is right now.

Amazing Adventures Vol. 2 #8 - An Hour for Thunder

I said part of my inspiration for this readthrough was that I was reading the Kree-Skrull War and the stories intersect. Not a lot has happened so far to justify that, but most people place the point where Triton runs off in Amazing Adventures as occurring prior to Avengers #94. In that issue, he crawls out of the sewer and says "I'm here at last." That being said, just because Triton next appears in Avengers #94 doesn't mean Amazing Adventures #8 is immediately after that. Instead, it's more accurate to say that Triton leaves in #7 and doesn't appear in the rest of this book, only to surface again in Avengers #94. That being said, I was a bit fooled into thinking I read it in the right order because #8 begins with the Avengers. They're watching Mr. Dibbs on TV and wondering the burning question of the 1970s. Who is Black Bolt? It turns out that most of the Avengers have no idea. However, Thor seems to and insists on going to San Francisco alone.

In San Francisco, the rest of the royal family watch in horror as molecules channel around Black Bolt and wanton destruction hits the city. They decide to attack Black Bolt and stop him when suddenly Thor appears. The Inhumans and Thor fight. It's a little unclear, why would Thor be defending Black Bolt, who is destroying the city? Turns out, he isn't. It wasn't Black Bolt he recognized, but Mr. Dibbs. Turns out, as Doctor Blake, he diagnosed the man with cancer and amputated his hand. That set off the chain of events that led him to becoming a cyborg and making his demands today.

Anyway, back in the present, the royal family gets to Black Bolt only to realize that Black Bolt isn't the one behind the costume. It's Roscoe. But he still has Black Bolt's tuning fork and harnesses the molecules - which kills him because he's not Black Bolt and not able to withstand its power. The issue concludes with a news report stating that Mr. Dibbs likely won't go to trial for a couple months (at which point he will have died of his cancer).

I left this issue even more confused about Black Bolt's powers. How much of his power comes from his costume versus being native to him? Probably the most interesting thing about this issue is how no one knows who the Inhumans are. Honestly, this story is more interesting as a Thor story than an Inhuman story.

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

I don't think the suit giving other people Black Bolt powers ever happens in any other story. The fork helps Black Bolt use his powers more efficiently and energy. he has used his powers without it before but it hasn't happen often.

I did some digging and found these after an earlier conversation regarding the Inhumans in Marvel Future Avengers.

Attached Images Attached Images

The look really great I especially love how Medusa is depicted

Amazing Adventures Vol. 2 #9 - And the Madness of Magneto

We're back to Gerry Conway and, sadly, no longer with Neal Adams on art but Mike Sekowsky. The art is fine, just nowhere near as good. While I'm reading this, I'm listening to the podcast Journey Into Misery's episode on Magneto. In that episode, they start with Magneto: Testament and go through the subtle intricacies of his life. This story will not have those subtle intricacies.

The issue starts with Medusa, Gorgon, and Karnak wallowing in self-pitty for their failure to find Black Bolt. Then Gorgon looks out the window and finds, to his shock, the Trikon - a trio of three stars that may well signal the end of all Inhumans. But let's not worry about that now. Instead, some weird looking goons sneak in. A fight ensues that's halfway decent. Turns out the weird looking dudes are mutants. I guess Medusa would presumably know all the Inhumans, which is why her mind doesn't go there, but it's weird that it's not brought up. Speaking of weird, because the mutant is an ESPer (a term I'm a fan of), Medusa is able to see the image on his unconscious brain. She sees Black Bolt! Ad she sees destruction!

Meanwhile, Joey offers Black Bolt coffee. Black Bolt, ignorant of the world, spills the coffee on himself since he apparently doesn't know that hot things are hot in Attilan. Luckily, he doesn't scream out in pain. Black Bolt runs outside where he is captured by the mutants.

Speaking of mutants, Magneto is the one behind all this. For some strange reason, he dressed Black Bolt in his outfit when he was unconscious and is now strapped into a chair with something covering his mouth. I think the mutants are actually mutates because that was a thing Magneto was into at the time. They're ugly troll-like things, but Black Bolt has seen worse. Magneto offers to let Black Bolt lead his army.

The royal family arrives and another fight breaks out. The central theme of the narration during the fight is that they're having a really bad day and now they're lashing out. Durng the middle of this fight, Black Bolt sees them and remembers who he (and they) are. However, it turns out Black Bolt was just bait and the mutates defeat the rest of the royal family. Dooming all of them ... unless Joey can save the day.

This was more or less a full-length story. Unfortunately, that makes me less inclined to be forgiving of it. It's not entirely fair to judge Magneto based on better versions of the character, but this is pretty one-note. At the time, the X-Men were so unpopular that they had to be squeezed into other books (does that technically make the Inhumans more successful at this point? I probably wouldn't go that far). They're continuing to play up how hated and feared the Inhumans are, which bothers me. I know Magneto didn't have the character development of later, but you figure they could have played some lip service to the idea that both mutants and Inhumans are oppressed. Instead, Magneto is transparently villainous and not much else happens. I liked the first fight scene a lot.