Boisterously Confused

Default Dang it! Hate I missed that ...

I've been reading a lot of old comics online, following a few selected titles of the Marvel Universe from 1961 forward (currently in mid-1985). I've come across a few that I really wish I'd tried back in the day:
    • Byrne's Fantastic Four
    • James Rhodes as Iron Man
    • Simonson's Thor

There was interesting stuff happening in those comics that I wish I'd experienced when it was being written. It's not bad now, but there's a flavor to it that belongs to its moment in history.

Regardless of when you started reading comics, is there a series that, after reading it online, that you're sorry you missed in first run?

I didn't read the other 2, but Rhodey as Iron Man back in the day was some great stuff. Him being Iron Man while Tony was dealing with his addiction to me is one of the best runs in all of comics.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

I haven't read it yet, but I'm sorry I missed Thunderbolts when it came out. The twist is such a big one but it's been thoroughly spoiled by now and there's no putting that genie back in the bottle.

There are some great runs that might have been fun when they came out, but I could also see it having been frustrating. Frank Miller's Daredevil run is one of my all time favorites but it started only printing every other month and then then monthly and there wasn't really a direct market so I could easily see a scenario where I didn't get to read it or I missed out because of the month's delay.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

Way before my time, but the Roy Thomas Avengers run, the Steve Englehart Avengers, Defenders, Captain America and Doctor Strange runs.
    Comic-Watch Reviewer

Titles:
    /Doctor Strange/Captain Marvel\Scarlet Witch\
    /Iron Man/Captain Britain/Wasp\X-Men\
    /JSA\/X-Treme X-Men\/WILDCATS\

https://comic-watch.com/author/baradtzgmail-com

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Frank Miller's Daredevil comes to mind. I pretty much tuned out my friends at the time who were hyping the book nonstop. About a year or two after Miller left the book I read the full run and was totally in awe.
    “True peace is not merely the absence of tension; it is the presence of justice.”
    ~Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

“If I love you, I have to make you conscious of what you don’t see.”
    ~James Baldwin

Baby Thanos Member catbellysqueezer's Avatar

Just started reading comics and I wish I had gotten the recent sentry, death of the inhumans, cloak and dagger, and some one-shots.
    Baby Thanos

Spectacular Member

the original secret wars. I started buying comics during secret wars II. the original is still one of the best stories in comics

The original Micronauts by Mantlo and Golden.
    My first issue of the Micaronauts was #15 because is guest starred the Fantastic Four.
    I quickly remedied this by haunting second hand stores until I was able to get copies of the first 14 issues.

The pre-Infinity Gauntlet Jim Starlin Thanos/Captain Marvel/Warlock stuff.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

For me, it would be the whole experimental phase that Marvel was going through during the 70's. Marvel was putting out a lot of weird and interesting titles like Nova, Omega the Unknown, Howard the Duck, etc. It sounded like everyone had a good time reading comics back then.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    For me, it would be the whole experimental phase that Marvel was going through during the 70's. Marvel was putting out a lot of weird and interesting titles like Nova, Omega the Unknown, Howard the Duck, etc. It sounded like everyone had a good time reading comics back then.
    I don't know this for a fact, but it feels like Marvel put out more unique titles back in the 70s spanning all of the various genres than at any other time in its history.
    “True peace is not merely the absence of tension; it is the presence of justice.”
    ~Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

“If I love you, I have to make you conscious of what you don’t see.”
    ~James Baldwin