Page 51 of 492 FirstFirst ... 4147484950515253545561101151 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by CookieVonDoom View Post
    In this case, and with all that said, I think it's more about your view (or image/perception if you will) of the royal family that has changed rather than the Inhumans losing what makes them grandiose.
    I wanted to just focus on this aspect, as the rest of what you said makes total sense, but does not really factor into why I had this perception of the Inhumans revitalization, so to speak.

Definitely it is my perception, because I have very little exposure to these characters. Granted, I tried a couple of issues of the new book that was launched by Soule and Madureira (the one that was to be written by Matt Fraction before he stepped away) and it just seemed like something that was more intimiate and small compared to what my perception says was cool about the Inhumans.

I think some of that perception was informed by how Matt Fraction initially described his take on the new book he was going to launch, which was something like Game of Thrones. Game of Thrones may deal with kings and queens, but it also deals with stories of peasants, servants, working class folks, etc. When I try to align thew few instances that I have read of Inhumans (I also tried the book about the new Inhuman students launched around the time that Marvel launched their Tsunami comics), to the one by Soule and Madureira...it didn't seem to really give off that vibe. They had this story of some outcast Inhuman collecting still in their chrysalis and some guy with his pregnant wife who was down on his luck or something.

Further to this impression that the tone of the book isn't very regal, and this is solely my perception of the characters visually, I look at Black Bolt's look on the image I posted. I look at his mask and it looks like a hockey helmet with a logo of the tuning fork. I realize that Black Bolt's look was really inspired by the superhero look back in the 60s, but now he just looks like SWAT-chic, you know? Even the guy with no eyes, Reader I believe his name is, just comes across as a sidekick. There doesn't seem to be anything majestic about his appearance. It looks like they just put Triton in scuba gear.

So definitely it's my perception of the Inhumans seeming pedestrian. I guess I'm not hearing a lot about why they aren't pedestrian.
    Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    https://whoaskd.com/

Quote Originally Posted by idisestablish View Post
    The short answer, for me, is no they didn't. Now, of course, if you were to follow the events that started in Infinity, it would seem a lot more organic. I can see how jumping straight from Lee's book to now might seem a stark contrast. During the Infinity event, the Avengers were gallivanting across the galaxy worried about the builders, and Thanos showed up on Earth. The Inhumans were really the only force strong enough to stand up to him present on Earth. Thanos offered to spare them in exchange for the location of his son, Thane, and the "tribute" of killing every Inhuman between 16 and 22 years old. Black Bolt refused and as a result, Attilan crash landed into the Hudson River. Of course they have lost some of their elevated (pun) status, and that was the intention of the story. Their characterizations haven't changed, they're still royalty, still not really part of this world, it's a storyline. I'm sure Attilan isn't going to remain a permanent fixture of NYC, but it is for now. The Inhuman Royal Family are at a low point (pun), sure, but that's what makes drama. I would hardly call anything we've seen of the Inhumans "street level," as far as pure blooded Inhumans, at least. It's not like Medusa's out stopping muggings or Crystal is going after a local drug runner. I'm not sure what you're getting at with that image. It looks like a standard cover; I really don't see a fundamental difference between it and these:
    Nothing wrong with the composition of the cover, as...you say, it's a standard cover. But I look at some of the images you posted and when I look at them, none of them give me the impression that their attire can be bought at an army surplus store or Hot Topic, you know?

This is going to be a very crude visual representation of what I'm talking about. Please bear in mind that I realize that you can't replicate the kind of detail the following image has in a monthly comic, but I'm trying to go for a very blunt point:

Compared to this type of look...

...the new image of Black Bolt looks to me like...

Once again...just how I'm looking at the Inhumans, in this case, specifically someone like Black Bolt
    Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    https://whoaskd.com/

Extraordinary X-Man redrunner97's Avatar

To me it sounds like you want them to dress fantastically, like Asguardians. But they're not Asguardians.

I get the appeal of the regal element that makes Inhumans cool. But that's still there. Black Bolt's new suit is needed in the context of the story (Kang essentially destroyed his old suit when his guards impaled him with arrows; naturally a more durable one is needed consider he's going to battle him for Ahura), and everyone else looks just as weird as they've always looked IMO (especially Medusa, who at times still dons her crown and everything). Also, Reader is not from Attilan so it would make sense that his attire is not in line with what the rest of the Inhumans wear -same goes for the NuHumans and others who also didn't originate from Attilan. And their fight is most certainly not street-level.

Their stories are also still the same, just a new setting and on a wider scale. Different factions of Inhumans all over the world (like Red Raven's civilization, or Orrolan) have caused an international crisis for New Attilan. It's very political and several group have tried to take down or seize the throne of the Inhumans. Just like Maximus has done for 50 years. It's still very much the same. Just new elements added into the mix.
    MY TOP 5 MARVEL HEROES:
    BLACK BOLT | CYCLOPS | SPIDER-MAN 2099 | WICCAN | MS. MARVEL

MY TOP 5 DC HEROES:
    BATMAN | MIDNIGHTER | SWAMP THING | INFINITY MAN | NIGHTWING

SPIDER-MAN 2099 APPRECIATION THREAD | MAN-THING APPRECIATION THREAD

BANNED

I don't know how many people have seen it, but there's a three page lettered preview of Uncanny Inhumans #1out in a preview book I was given at the can store yesterday. It reveals one thing that may be spoilery, so I will put it below, but it also confirms that Reader is an Inhuman (something I was honestly somewhat sceptical of seeing how much his power was tied to those cards). He is from Orollan, where Lash and his crazy-pants priesthood reigned.

The other thing is spoilers:
    They're in the past, specifically in Attilan circa its time as a Kree colony. It sounds like Reader was the one who brought them there, adding to his list of skills.
    end of spoilers

Incredible Member idisestablish's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ImprobableQuestion View Post
    I don't know how many people have seen it, but there's a three page lettered preview of Uncanny Inhumans #1out in a preview book I was given at the can store yesterday. It reveals one thing that may be spoilery, so I will put it below, but it also confirms that Reader is an Inhuman (something I was honestly somewhat sceptical of seeing how much his power was tied to those cards). He is from Orollan, where Lash and his crazy-pants priesthood reigned.

They're in the past, specifically in Attilan circa its time as a Kree colony. It sounds like Reader was the one who brought them there, adding to his list of skills.
    end of spoilers
    Not sure if you're aware, but Reader can essentially make anything he reads reality. There's nothing special about the cards, but the citizens of Orollan removed his eyes because they were afraid of his power. The cards he uses have braille on them, so he carries them so he can use those powers when he reads them. Honestly, he's pretty freaking awesome.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by idisestablish View Post
    Not sure if you're aware, but Reader can essentially make anything he reads reality. There's nothing special about the cards, but the citizens of Orollan removed his eyes because they were afraid of his power. The cards he uses have braille on them, so he carries them so he can use those powers when he reads them. Honestly, he's pretty freaking awesome.
    You know, now that you mentioned it I do remember that thing about how he lost his eyes. I still think there's some mystery left there though.

In other news, GAZE. FOR THE CHIANG HAS COME.

Look at it! Kamala! Naja! Medusa on the throne but Black Bolt with his hand on her shoulder! 'Tis glorious.

end of spoilers
    Very cool. I love Reader, his powers are fascinating and quite unique.
    Last edited by redrunner97; 10-16-2015 at 09:34 PM.
    MY TOP 5 MARVEL HEROES:

MY TOP 5 DC HEROES:

BANNED

So, Uncanny #1 came out today. I didn't read it, bit seeing as the discussion thread is compromised I figured we could continue here. It looked like Kang and Black Bolt's fight has escalated in a big way.

BANNED

I do think that for the one page it's pertinent, Beast's inclusion in Attilan is an interesting point for discussion. There was a conflict in the timeskip we still don't know too much about, and though it seems like the main players have come to an understanding there are apparently X-Men that still foster some bad blood towards the Inhumans. Obviously Marvel wants aa good guy fight at some point in the near future. It will be interesting to see how they get us there.

In the ANAD Point 1, Strucker came into possession of a Mutant "cure," and I wonder if that has a place in all this, e.g. Strucker found a way to disperse it within the T-Cloud.

Scarlet Witch~4~LIFE!!^_^ CJStriker's Avatar

So, Uncanny #1 came out today. I didn't read it, bit seeing as the discussion thread is compromised I figured we could continue here. It looked like Kang and Black Bolt's fight has escalated in a big way.
    I Completely Enjoyed This Book Allot Being one of My 1st Major Inhuman Books of the ANAD Era of Marvel!

The Artworks was Amazing, Completely in Awe by McNiven and Peterson's work each of their individual Issues. Gave a great sense of detail and life towards each character and the world they inhabit.

Will not go into much detail to give away the plot, but the 2 main plots the one with Black Bolts travel I like how the conflict between him and Kang was Handled. For any fan of Kang this was a great showing by him, like how he was used. The other Story being Medusa's and her new team of Inhumans and how she was handle in this issue really spoke well for her I felt, really like her by the end, already being a fan of hers that means allot.

Overall a Great Story and leadings into a Nice Mythos surrounding this story, 5 out of 5 Stars For Me!
    "By Earth and Sky, By Craft and Hex -- By The Past and The Future – I Call HOPE Forth From The DARKNESS! I Speak The Words We Made Into MAGIC! Let THEIR Power Augment Our OWN! To Strike ONE BLOW From Our HEARTS and SOULS – From ALL THAT WE ARE! Let The CALL Go Forth -- AVENGERS! ASSEMBLE!" Scarlet Witch/Wanda Maximoff ~~ From Avengers #689!

Come Join and Learn about Wanda Maximoff at: The Scarlet Witch Appreciation Thread 2023!

Scarlet Witch~4~LIFE!!^_^ CJStriker's Avatar

For Me Personally as a Fan of Comics; The Uncanny Inhuman's #1 is my Official Kick-Off Book in Growing my own Personal Inhuman Fandom!

Ever since the 1990's Animated Fantastic Four Series I was always in awe of the Inhumans, but never put enough of the work down in learning more about them or above my basic favorites like Crystal and basic knowledge.

Well NOW is a better time than EVER to start anew and Start My Fandom for the Inhumans!

I like to Introduce Myself the The Terrigen Mist Thread, Inhuman's Appreciation; My name is CJStriker and It is GREAT to be here and meet many fellow Inhuman Fans! I look forward to talking about Inhuman's with all of you and learning as I Go Along, it is Great to be Here!

As part of my Inhuman Fan Growing I like to share the Variant Covers and Issue I got today of The Uncanny Inhumans #1 at my Local Comic Shop! They are below, this is not ALL that I will be getting, just a start. I also bought the Issue at Marvel.com digitally today before I got to my Local Comic Shop cause I wanted to read it THAT MUCH!

Last edited by CJStriker; 10-21-2015 at 10:21 PM.
    "By Earth and Sky, By Craft and Hex -- By The Past and The Future – I Call HOPE Forth From The DARKNESS! I Speak The Words We Made Into MAGIC! Let THEIR Power Augment Our OWN! To Strike ONE BLOW From Our HEARTS and SOULS – From ALL THAT WE ARE! Let The CALL Go Forth -- AVENGERS! ASSEMBLE!" Scarlet Witch/Wanda Maximoff ~~ From Avengers #689!

Come Join and Learn about Wanda Maximoff at: The Scarlet Witch Appreciation Thread 2023!

You know, now that you mentioned it I do remember that thing about how he lost his eyes. I still think there's some mystery left there though.

In other news, GAZE. FOR THE CHIANG HAS COME.

Look at it! Kamala! Naja! Medusa on the throne but Black Bolt with his hand on her shoulder! 'Tis glorious.
    The arrow and tone of colour reminded me of Hawkeye.
    Beside, it's awesome arts! Gorgon without wheelchair, Reader, and the greatest hero Kamala.

I thoroughly enjoyed Uncanny Inhumans #1!

Although I did think Medusa looked a little... off...; very masculine and different from how McNiven portrayed her in Uncanny Inhumans #0.

And while it was fun to see Crystal, I think she looked similarly odd. Maybe it's the inking, looked thinner than his usual work this time around.
    MY TOP 5 MARVEL HEROES:

MY TOP 5 DC HEROES:

BANNED

I thought Medusa looked off as well. That costume design wasn't flattering on her at all.

Seems like whenever that particular purple suit is drawn without the mask it just comes off weird or something.