Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    BANNED

Default What do you think of Iron Man being Marvel's new flagship book?

So, those Iron Man films made a lot of money didn't they? Marvel noticed to so their replacing Spider-Man with Iron Man as their new flagship book. Now the term "flagship book" doesn't really mean too much, it doesn't necessarily reflect the importance of the character in the big stories, Spidey was the flagship for years yet he wasn't really important in the larger scope of the Marvel Universe? But I can't help but worry that their going to try to make Tony the center of the universe (as if his ego wasn't big enough), I'm probably being paranoid. But it does seem like a strange time, considering Spidey will be joining the MCU soon. Anyways, what do you think about it?

Heres a link to the article discussing Iron Man's upgrade to flagship status: http://www.newsarama.com/24779-bendi...-iron-man.html

I can wait for the series, but of course people will be butt hurt over Tony getting a bigger profile lol. It's a fact that he is more known now and Marvel will try and show that, but they can never put anyone over Spider-Man. Spider-Man is usually the first character people think of when you say Marvel. It's been that way for decades and I don't see it changing because Bendis is doing Tony's book now. Tony's been at the front line of a lot of the major events recently. So it's not something new about him being very visible.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

I think it's not actually a thing that's happening.
    "It's not whether you win or lose, it's whether I win or lose." - Peter David, on life

"If you can't say anything nice about someone, sit right here by me." - Alice Roosevelt Longworth, on manners

"You're much stronger than you think you are." - Superman, on humankind

All-New, All-Different Marvel Checklist

Quote Originally Posted by Michael P View Post
    I think it's not actually a thing that's happening.
    It's not. Spider-Man is Marvel. Although about Tony getting a bigger profile, why shouldn't Marvel make Tony have a bigger profile after the success of the movies?! It's smart business.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

BANNED

I don't get why solo titles have to be the flagship books? Wouldn't it make sense for Avengers to be the flagship book?

From a business POV, it's a logical move.

But from a comic POV, I highly doubt this will effect the quality and quantity of Spider-Man's own comics.

I won't be reading it. I've a marginal (at best) interest in Tony, and a perpetual distaste for Bendis. This looks to be about the worst possible scenario, in my head. Hahaha.

And, at the end of the day, I don't see how much it will matter at all. Much like 'Uncanny Avengers' was the 'flagship' book of 'Marvel Now', and 'All New X-trash' was the X-men 'flagship'....niether were all that important in the grande scheme, outside of shpherding thier own cast of characters.
    Freedom is the ability to live without fear of persecution.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Stark View Post
    I can wait for the series, but of course people will be butt hurt over Tony getting a bigger profile lol. It's a fact that he is more known now and Marvel will try and show that, but they can never put anyone over Spider-Man. Spider-Man is usually the first character people think of when you say Marvel. It's been that way for decades and I don't see it changing because Bendis is doing Tony's book now. Tony's been at the front line of a lot of the major events recently. So it's not something new about him being very visible.
    This is pretty much why I question the decision to put it out there in this way. I mean, Iron Man has always been very prominent in the comics but for as long as I can remember his comic has never really been what is considered a top seller, not even over the last 10 years or so when Iron Man has been the face of the MCU. While it would certainly make sense if this would somehow increase the readership of Marvel comics, I just don't see that happening, and I think the current readers can see through this kind of posturing.

I feel if the MCU's influence in raising the profile of its heroes actually mattered in regards to the sale of comics, Iron Man would've been selling a lot better up until now. I'm not sure how much more of a profile they could raise for Tony without it seeming slightly pushy. I've actually felt like he's had a decent amount of exposure across multiple titles. He had his solo, was a big influence on all the major events, was in Avengers and New Avengers, was pushed as Superior Iron Man and even had a stint on Guardians of the Galaxy. I'm not sure how much more of a big deal Marvel can make out of Tony Stark tbh.

Quote Originally Posted by klinton View Post
    I won't be reading it. I've a marginal (at best) interest in Tony, and a perpetual distaste for Bendis. This looks to be about the worst possible scenario, in my head. Hahaha.
    Anyone but Bendis could've had me pick up this book in all honesty. Bendis and Iron Man just seems like a recipe for disaster. I'd rather just sit back and watch the fireworks. Mind you, this is the guy who wrote that infamous Tony-centric Civil War tie-in New Avengers issue.
    Last edited by Of Atlantis; 06-22-2015 at 08:48 AM.
    Currently Reading: DC: Shazam /// MARVEL: Daredevil, Invaders, Winter Soldier /// IMAGE: Seven to Eternity /// TITAN: Bloodborne

Upcoming Reading:

Trade Waiting: IMAGE: East of West, Black Road, The Black Monday Murders /// DARK HORSE: Hellboy, Witcher

Niffleheim

I liken this to the "monarchy" in UK - he will be more of a figure head and the flagship will be in name only. Stark will be a King without a kingdom lol!
    "Dedra Meero is not just a woman in a men’s world, but a fascist in a world of fascists.” - Denise Gough

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by klinton View Post

And, at the end of the day, I don't see how much it will matter at all. Much like 'Uncanny Avengers' was the 'flagship' book of 'Marvel Now', and 'All New X-trash' was the X-men 'flagship'....niether were all that important in the grande scheme, outside of shpherding thier own cast of characters.
    Bendis got what he always yearned for these past 11 years ; to be the prime architect of the new mainstream marvel universe post Secret Wars. Jonathan Hickman granted him his wish.

Quote Originally Posted by 616MarvelYear is LeapYear View Post
    Bendis got what he always yearned for these past 11 years ; to be the prime architect of the new mainstream marvel universe post Secret Wars. Jonathan Hickman granted him his wish.
    I hope not. We went through more than enough Bendis' Avengers. It was such tepid rot by the end, I could barely bring myself to read each issue.

We've done our time in that hell. If I thought for a second that Marvel actually indended to go down that road again, I'd sit this round out entirely.

Let him ruin Iron Man some more to his heart's contentment. But leave the grand designs to someone else capable of plotting stories beyond "how can I work this witty quip into the dialogue?".
    Freedom is the ability to live without fear of persecution.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

I think it's a flagship title due to the high profile of the character in merchandising. Lots of toys, and Iron Man has been in the most movies in the MCU if I'm not mistaken.

But historically speaking in the realm of publishing? The flagship title will always be Stan and Jack's Fantastic Four. Most of the MU started there. When a new character debuted, that character frequently would get a guest shot in the Fantastic Four ala the Avengers crossover with the Hulk that occured early on. Or the Fantastic Four appearing on the cover of the first issue of ASM followed by Doctor Doom in #5 where the FF are also mentioned. Good marketing moves by Stan back then to promote his new titles once the the FF was launched successfully.
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 06-22-2015 at 09:25 AM.

Bendis does whatever he wants at Marvel.

As if Iron Man has interesting in stories on his own.