Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by PiercedMonk View Post
    Not Jane Foster, Thor Girl.
    Oh, you mean Tarene.

With regards to worthiness, it's probably worth noting that all these Thors are worthy according to some parameters established by Doom, not Odin.

Regardless of whether or not Doom created the Mjolnirs himself -- forging them out of stars taken from the sky as Kit claims in CAPTAIN MARVEL AND THE CAROL CORPS -- or plucked them out of the last remains of some hundreds of collapsed realities, there can't be much doubt that Doom's influence has altered them in some significant way. Otherwise, I can't imagine that a Thor that serves the will of Doom would be considered worthy.

So, the Odinson we're all familiar with could still be worthy, just not in the eyes of Doom.
    a very good point.

With regards to worthiness, it's probably worth noting that all these Thors are worthy according to some parameters established by Doom, not Odin.
    It is also worth considering that Aaron has been writing around the subject of the forging of the hammer and its inscription for many months now and he has stated he will be addressing it directly after Secret Wars, so we know that he is particularly interested in this subject.

But, I can't help thinking there was another hammer floating around outside the crack in reality, and it was right next to Doom when he presumably projected a portion of reality through that crack to begin his new creation.
    “And I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, 'If this isn't nice, I don't know what is.” ― Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

How was Ororo Munroe as Thor in this issue? Did she have a strong showing?

Rachel turned into Ahab's baby momma by Marvel. Disgusting.

Any sign of Rogue as Thor or even Spider-Man?

Quote Originally Posted by Project Initiative Cascada View Post
    How was Ororo Munroe as Thor in this issue? Did she have a strong showing?
    You can say that. She is mutant and proud, and ready to put that racist ***k of Rune thor in his place. And her partner on job is...Thor Groot! And seem she going to have lot of presence in the series.

Quote Originally Posted by silence. View Post
    Early guess. Thororo did it.
    I'd put money its definitely another Thor who did this. Inside job.

None of these Thors are 616. Only 616 survivors were on the rafts.

Jane Foster 616 Thor is set to appear after Secret Wars #4. Just as 616 Starlord will show up in Starlord and Kitty Pryde #1 and 616 Miles in Ultimate End #4.
    "Dear World: the nation of mutantkind is watching you. Do not #$%& with us." -Cable-

Amazing Member

I hope Red Norvell makes an appearance.

Quote Originally Posted by Sardorim View Post
    Why not? Doom saved them, all he did extra was overwrite memories with fake ones.
    There's proof that there's copies running around - there's a pre-Phoenix Scott right now in Ultimate End with the (supposed) 616 and Ultimate-verse group. We know this can't be the 'real' Scott because we have Phoenixed-Scott revealed on the raft in Secret Wars #3.

Therefore either we have copies, or that Doom grabbed people across time and space, so we will get versions of people further back in their timeline/history.

Whether or not they're 'copies', or simply the real people from different points in their history, remains to be seen.

On-topic:

Mutant racism makes so little sense here, and I don't even know why it's there. You have some Thors who are Asgardians - a race superior physically and magically. You have Beta Ray Bill - from the Corbonite race who are humanoid but of different color, and then Bill got gene-spliced into his current form. You have a fucking Frog Thor.

Why would you pick on someone whose racial power is to control the weather? Or on a race whose sole signifier is "they get superpowers"!?

Really, the 'mutant racism' angle has seen less and less point in modern Marvel, because everyone and their fucking dog has superpowers. It only really works in a very narrow context, like the MCU/Fox-movies where meta-humans are rare, so mutant racism and fear makes a lot of sense.

That context does not include people who are all different races with different superpowers. And where superpowers help their jobs.
    Last edited by Byakko; 06-17-2015 at 09:40 PM.

Rachel turned into Ahab's baby momma by Marvel. Disgusting.

There are copies and there are real versions.

Spider-Gwen proves that as does the Spiderverse team. 616 and 1610 are specifically said to be in their zone, not an AU take of them. Thus the characters there are real, only iffy ones are the ones who have Life Raft members.

Quote Originally Posted by Sardorim View Post
    There are copies and there are real versions.

Spider-Gwen proves that as does the Spiderverse team. 616 and 1610 are specifically said to be in their zone, not an AU take of them. Thus the characters there are real, only iffy ones are the ones who have Life Raft members.
    To clarify, is that in-universe said by a character, by the writer for the series?

The thing is that because there are iffy characters, that places suspicion of authenticity on all of them. It can't be just one special snowflake out of the group, not unless Doom is specifically repairing team line-ups by inserting copies or time-displaced versions of specific members. I don't think he'd micromanage to that extent.

But taking into account ability to pull time-displaced versions effectively handles both 'copies' and 'authenticity'. They are the real ones, just from different times other than the absolute present at the point of incursions.

Quote Originally Posted by Byakko View Post
    Mutant racism makes so little sense here, and I don't even know why it's there. You have some Thors who are Asgardians - a race superior physically and magically. You have Beta Ray Bill - from the Corbonite race who are humanoid but of different color, and then Bill got gene-spliced into his current form. You have a fucking Frog Thor.

Why would you pick on someone whose racial power is to control the weather? Or on a race whose sole signifier is "they get superpowers"!?

Really, the 'mutant racism' angle has seen less and less point in modern Marvel, because everyone and their fucking dog has superpowers. It only really works in a very narrow context, like the MCU/Fox-movies where meta-humans are rare, so mutant racism and fear makes a lot of sense.

That context does not include people who are all different races with different superpowers. And where superpowers help their jobs.
    Mutant discrimination has less to do with fear of dangerous people -- though that's certainly a factor -- than it does fear of an other. That's the thing about bigotry: it never makes sense. It's all just in-group vs. out-group dynamics.

That said, Rune Thor's discrimination against mutants has very little to do pre-established reasons for anti-mutant sentiment, and everything to do with cop drama archetypes. It seems that the characters on THORS are even further disassociated from their more familiar incarnations than most of Battleworld's inhabitants. Ultimate Thor was a social justice advocate and rabble-rouser, not an investigative prodigy, and Throg was certainly never a forensic scientist. Rune Thor fits the police drama role of the loud, boorish, jackass cop whom the others can barely tolerate. If he wasn't a Thor, he'd likely also be overweight and unkempt, just to fit the trope better. Mutants are a convenient focus for his bigotry -- though probably not the only one -- because of their extant status in almost every version of the Marvel universe.

Which is interesting. Obviously it makes sense within the story to differentiate between the various Thors so they're not just carbon copies of one another, but having them conform to police drama roles would seem to imply something about the nature of Battleworld, and about Doom's thought process in it's construction. If the heavily meta analysis that Battleworld is constructed not from actual fragments of other realities, but from stories and ideas is correct within the context of the story itself, then Doom's blending of the Thors with cop drama archetypes makes a lot of sense, provided you assume Doom enjoys watching -- or is at least familiar with -- police procedurals.

Or maybe Jason Aaron just thought it would be a fun take on this concept.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Raye View Post
    Could be. I have a hard time picturing any Thor (of the Odinson variety) killing Jane, though. but it was a big multiverse, you never know. And if he does remember his past world, it could cause him to snap. In any case, it was said that the body had been dead for 'months' but the bodies had been moved to locations to be found only within the past week. So obviously there is some elaborate thing going on here, the killer had been killing and hanging on to the bodies for MONTHS, and only now are they allowing them to be found. Clearly, some message is being sent. Does the killer want to remind the Thors of who they used to be in some twisted way?

Perhaps Ragnarock is here too? I could see that crazy Thor clone doing this!

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    I died during the exchange with Frog Thor.

The whole book is so ludicrous and I loved every second.
    Only part that was close to being as good was the Captain's trope-y speech and the banter between Bill and Leif. I was expecting Bill to have a, "I'm too old for this" crack before he died.

No, I take it back. It was the latex gloves over the biker gloves gag.
    "Magneto, you ARE the father!"