Super Moderator

Default Walt Simonson Still Hasn't "Figured Out" Comics - But He's Trying!

Speaking with CBR about his career, the legendary creator explains why he likes seeing his older work recolored, and the importance of serendipity.

Full article here.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Fantastic interview.

I am glad for the remastered Star Slammers and Thor. Yeah I like the colors, but I agree about the lines. The books look sharp and remind you that this art can stand with what they put out these days. I bought the original Visionaries and hates how the art looked like a fuzzed out, spotty back issue.

You can look at a lot of Walt's career and see typecasting and confinement in the superhero game. I feel bad for always wanting him to stay there, but I basically just read comics to see my favorite creators on my favorite characters, and find new favorites in the process. Have not come across Manhunter yet, but I still have this old Doc Fate story.

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

One of the greatest living talents in comics. No hyperbole at all.

Kuwagaton, Manhunter is great. That whole era of Goodwin-arranged Detective was fantastic.

And, Judas Coin doesn't get enough love. That was total comics, there. Everything from the styles of drawing, the pacing, the color and techniques just made an amazing package, and it's an excellent loveletter to DC from a unique perspective.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

Better late than never.
    BB

Astonishing Member FanboyStranger's Avatar

Walt Simonson is my favorite artist, not just in comics but in art overall. His work has such remarkable power, and his design sense is unparalleled. I also love that he's always pushing himself to try different things. His current work is every bit as good as his classic stuff. If Ragnarok continues at its current quality, I think it may actually turn out to be the finest work of his career, and considering his career, that's really saying something!