Super Moderator

Default Remender & Tocchini's "Low" Examines the Buoyancy of the Human Spirit in an Aquatic Dystopia

Rick Remender spoke with CBR about the aquatic-set Image series' return, the fallout from the first arc finale and the story's next deep dive.

Full article here.

This has been a great series! Highly underrated and unappreciated for it's take on Dystopian fiction. This series would make such a fantastic movie franchise.

Quote Originally Posted by cray_ws View Post
    This has been a great series! Highly underrated and unappreciated for it's take on Dystopian fiction. This series would make such a fantastic movie franchise.
    Yeah, I'm quite enjoying it. The art is so beautiful and the story is keeping me interested. My only complaints are that (1) the publishing schedule seems to have slipped to "periodic" rather than "monthly" and (2) by extension by the time the new issue comes out, I've kinda forgotten what happened last time. That paragraph in the article about how we're going to be seeing some characters again that we thought were one-offs? That kinda terrifies me, since I have no doubt completely forgotten who they were. It's the sort of thing that makes me wonder if I shouldn't just start trade-waiting the series. Or, while I try to buy stuff in print to support my LCS, I might start going digital on this, and then pick up the trades or hardcovers down the line.

(Side note: I really wish there was a way to know in advance if they were going to do nice hardcover editions, a la Saga.)

Probably a good idea to bring in a separate colorist. Not to say the book hasn't been beautiful anyway.

Spectacular Member

Picked up the trade the other day, read it all in one sitting, and grabbed the new issue today. This book is so, so good. I absolutely love it.

Low #7 was amazing. A one-shot about a new character in a new setting, but it was a fantastic issue. Very sad stuff, the Low dystopia gets bleaker by the month.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Weevil View Post
    Yeah, I'm quite enjoying it. The art is so beautiful and the story is keeping me interested. My only complaints are that (1) the publishing schedule seems to have slipped to "periodic" rather than "monthly" and (2) by extension by the time the new issue comes out, I've kinda forgotten what happened last time. That paragraph in the article about how we're going to be seeing some characters again that we thought were one-offs? That kinda terrifies me, since I have no doubt completely forgotten who they were. It's the sort of thing that makes me wonder if I shouldn't just start trade-waiting the series. Or, while I try to buy stuff in print to support my LCS, I might start going digital on this, and then pick up the trades or hardcovers down the line.

(Side note: I really wish there was a way to know in advance if they were going to do nice hardcover editions, a la Saga.)
    I can understand how you feel, but I don't mind long gaps between the gaps. I'm trying to be good with my money and it allowes me to take a breather

Great series. Absolutely love the fact that each creator own series is in a way autobiographical and Remender express himself (or his beliefs) throug them.

I must admit that because of the art it was the series I needed longest time to fully enjoy... I struggled with Toccini's artwork... Yes the double page splashes and covers of underwater world were breath taking, but overall I needed time to get to like it... I have to say that at this stage I grown to love it.

Issue 7 is just brutally fantastic. I can't wait to see how first arc story and this new plot developement start to 'interact'.

"Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

This is a comic I want to like or enjoy at least, like most comics I read. I think there are good ideas here, directions that story goes in that aren't too bad, and the main character of the first arc is pretty good overall. However, the execution feels lacking at times, some of the plot is predictable or there are missed opportunities, and such.

Though the biggest problem I have with the comic is the artwork. It's easily this giant double-edge sword for the series. Greg Tocchini is fantastic artist at points (I love his covers he did for Hinterkind) and he can draw some amazing imagery or shots. However, his storytelling leaves a lot to be desired. It can be difficult to follow, the colors can be muddy and just visually ugly in areas, things blend together at points with the visuals and locations, and the people look horrendous.

This is a comic I want to like more and I can ultimately see why people like it so much. However, it needs a lot more polish in the writing and the art. Maybe things got better in the 7th issue like you guys are talking about (I only read this trade-wise), but I'll have to wait and see.

I think because of the setting being at the bottom of the ocean... Tocchini is able to be a little more abstract with his lines and art in general.. which I like. Issue 7 looked very clean though. And a new colorist may help keep the book on track and help keep it clean.

Low #8:
    spoilers:
    The art with the bees in the opening pages was stunning. I love how Remender picks amazing artists the build the craziest, most outlandish landscapes possible.
    I thought the discussions about Marik's death were really well written, and I even teared up a little. It made you really feel the weight of his sacrifice, and how he didn't even think twice because of how important the mission is, and how some things are just bigger than you. It made me stop and have some long thoughts before continuing reading. Like, I wouldn't sacrifice myself to save 10 people, but as a gamble on all of humanity? ****, I like to hope I would be that brave, but hell, I might be more likely to get a gambling debt and sell my family into slavery instead, like our troubled new sidekick Zem.
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Weevil View Post

I had this same problem. So I started to re-read the previous issues before I read the new issue.

I'm really loving this book as well. The artwork is really amazing. I can look at it for a long time and see all kinds of new things each time. Plus the story is very cool. It will be fun to see how it all ends eventually.