Page 255 of 267 FirstFirst ... 155205245251252253254255256257258259265 ... LastLast
Results 3,811 to 3,825 of 3996
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    I wouldn't mind three jokers getting adapted by Reeves and Pattinson. It's a big swing for the Joker and a way to lean into a horror vibe.
    I don't see how this should work, since they had to make Killing Joke, Death in the Family and Under the Red Hood first.

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    I don't see how this should work, since they had to make Killing Joke, Death in the Family and Under the Red Hood first.
    Most of the movies and the TV shows are loose adaptations. I'm just looking for Pattinson going up against multiple jokers. Joker trying to create more of himself through tossing people in the chemicals interests me.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 11-17-2022 at 06:53 AM.

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    As much as I appreciate some of the groundwork he laid, Chuck Dixon was a paint-by-numbers kind of writer.
    I respectfully disagree. I think Dixon is really exceptional with fight scenes I also think what makes Dixon's comic distinct is that his stories tend to be a bit more grounded than the other Bat writers relatively speaking.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Hunter View Post
    I respectfully disagree. I think Dixon is really exceptional with fight scenes I also think what makes Dixon's comic distinct is that his stories tend to be a bit more grounded than the other Bat writers relatively speaking.
    Beyond Tim Drake (which I do think he did a good job on. At least in that first mini), I think a lot of his characterization is rather flat, tbh. But, hey, your mileage may vary.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Extraordinary Member

I’ve sort of come around to thinking that Dixon was at his best when paired with O’Neill as his editor, who helped him emphasize his real strengths, but Dixon was still so thoroughly competent in his heyday that pretty much everyone has had to put up with subpar writers that suck in comparison and longed for something as consistent as his stuff was.

But yeah, I do think that O’Neill knew Dixon was at his best when either developing a cast and setting or making the skeleton of the larger crossovers with other writers. I think O’Neill being gone when Dixon made his brief comeback at DC likely lead to a slight drop in Dixon’s performance then - again, Dixon was better than most journeyman and pretty much all the lickspittles that Didio would give too many chances too even at his worst, but I’ve read both some of his old non-Batman stuff (Green Hornet from NOW! Comics) and his later stuff at DC and GIJoe, and he tends to be more formulaic and less well-paced when not paired with O’Neill.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

In regards to the Joker's origin story, I prefer the version from Mask of the Phantasm, where rather than the Red Hood, he was just a normal, unremarkable plainclothes gangster you'd pass by on the street without a second thought. I find it just makes him more mysterious and frightening.

Basically, I picked the middle card, except that I prefer him to be completely nameless.

https://scontent-dub4-1.xx.fbcdn.net...HqkNUNpJC1w&oe

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Harpsikord View Post
    I've seen (and participated in) threads akin to this one in other boards on this forum, and thought it might be a good idea to stick one up here. Basically the premise is to post opinions about members of the batfamily, or the behind the scenes aspects, that you have realized are controversial opinions to have around these-- or most-- parts. Here are a few examples, and some of my own:

Bruce Wayne is hardly interesting; the rest of the batfamily are the more interesting ones.
    Damian Wayne is probably better off dead.
    Barbara Gordon as Batgirl is weak, whiny, and was an unnecessary character degradation.
    Scott Lobdell is the best writer for Red Hood and the Outlaws.
    I now consider Roy Harper and Starfire unofficial members of the batfamily.
    Cassandra Cain is vastly unappealing.
    The "Harley Quinn" series is trite and disgusting.

How about you guys?
    Orphan is an underused character with a lot of potential.

Damian Wayne should have his own fan-made solo series to develop his character.

Scott Lobdell IS one of the best Red Hood writers we've ever had. That arc at the end where Jason helps rehabilitate Duela was just golden.

The Harley Quinn series is self-satire of the Batman franchise, but they do a somewhat decent job characterizing Harley, or at least it's better than some of her comics where she goes full Deadpool. The OOC Joker moments are also adorable.

Bruce Wayne as Batman is fun; he just has to be paired with one of his villains, friends, lovers, or proteges for it to show.

Duela Dent should be back on the Teen Titans; she is a fun character when she's written correctly, and an anti-hero Joker girl who is not Harley Quinn and is also a master of disguise is a nice concept.

Batman: White Knight and some of the more famous Elseworlds' Joker stories should be adapted to animated movies. (Does DC have some kind of rule where they can't show the Joker as anything besides a villain in animation? Even Crisis on Two Earths had him blowing up himself to kill some bad guys, and he was clearly one of the good guys in that universe.)

DC should hire and pay the fans to help them come up with good storylines for underused characters. I'd jump for the opportunity if DC had a Kindle Worlds series.
    Last edited by kcomics; 11-18-2022 at 09:06 PM.

To add on to that...

Jade Nguyen and Roy Harper make a better couple than Batman and Catwoman. :P

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    To add on to that...

Jade Nguyen and Roy Harper make a better couple than Batman and Catwoman. :P
    ...Yeah, not gonna touch that one. I mean, Young Justice animated series is one thing. Comics version, well...

Amazing Member

Adam West was the most realistic version of Batman in Live Action and the best version in my opinion a real Batman will most likely look like that and not the Super Human Comic Book Fantasy like other Batman movies portray him this would be unpopular but for me i find the rest of all the Live Action Batman movies to be Generic and boring Super Hero movies i feel that the Batman character has to be reinvented so i can take him seriously again but still i like Batman more than the rest of other Super Heroes because Batman is a character that could exist in real life unlike Superman,Flash,Green Lantern etc although for a Batman to exist in real life as realistic as possible that Batman would be very different as how he is represented by the Comic Books and the movies
    Last edited by JediBatman54; 11-20-2022 at 03:15 AM.

Extraordinary Member

No one calls out Steph for getting Orpheus killed.
    Or War Games in general.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    No one calls out Steph for getting Orpheus killed.
    Or War Games in general.
    I think that gets blamed more on bad writing / editors than on the character itself?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    I think that gets blamed more on bad writing / editors than on the character itself?
    It's funny when sometimes the fans blame the writing and sometimes the fans blame the character. I mean, technically it's always the writing if you really stop and think about it because the characters can be written any which way they want because DC technically owns them. This generally shows character bias than any sort of point.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Extraordinary Member

Steph got called out all the time for War Games pre-flashpoint. But even with her time as Robin restored in recent years it doesn't look like War Games has been restored to continuity.

And that's for the best. A number of the Bat-book writers hated War Games from the moment editorial first told them about the plan to have a big gang war in which Steph would be killed off. This was not a story in which the writers were putting their hearts and souls because it was a story they never wanted to tell in the first place and were forced to by a shortsighted editorial with bad ideas and no room for argument. The entire story is dependent on not only Steph, but Batman and Tim suffering from an inexcusable bout of plot-induced stupidity just to get started.

The way DC's current continuity works, the current Steph is not the same Steph who existed from 1992-2011. She is an amalgamation of that Steph and the Nu-52 Steph with DC picking and choosing what parts of each should remain canon. Her time as Robin was chosen to be canon, while her subsequent causing of a gang war has not, because current DC has no interest in revisiting a story which was so bad their own writers hated it before it was ever published. Most DC characters are this weird amalgamation of pick and choose continuity right now and even stories as recent as Rebirth can no longer have happened exactly as they were originally written because of how screwy DC has been with continuity for the last 10 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    ...Yeah, not gonna touch that one. I mean, Young Justice animated series is one thing. Comics version, well...
    That was more me hating on cat/bat. I actually totally get why people think Jade and Roy are horribly dysfunctional. I was saying I think Batman and Catwoman is in it's own way worse.
    Quote Originally Posted by JediBatman54 View Post
    Adam West was the most realistic version of Batman in Live Action and the best version in my opinion a real Batman will most likely look like that and not the Super Human Comic Book Fantasy like other Batman movies portray him this would be unpopular but for me i find the rest of all the Live Action Batman movies to be Generic and boring Super Hero movies i feel that the Batman character has to be reinvented so i can take him seriously again but still i like Batman more than the rest of other Super Heroes because Batman is a character that could exist in real life unlike Superman,Flash,Green Lantern etc although for a Batman to exist in real life as realistic as possible that Batman would be very different as how he is represented by the Comic Books and the movies
    What I liked most about it? the relationship between Gordon and Batman. Batman wasn't a cop, but the cops respected him and helped him. a lot of the time cooperation was important to solving crimes.