Page 158 of 267 FirstFirst ... 58108148154155156157158159160161162168208258 ... LastLast
Results 2,356 to 2,370 of 3996
    Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    Oh f... that is a jumping shark moment
    It actually works in context.
    And death in comics is a joke anyway, so...

Jean Grey? ^^

Elaboration?

No more Robin after Jason died until he's old age?
    Correct but in his old age he took on a 3rd Robin

A 3rd Robin who was a big fan from the suburbs with neglectful parents who figured out bruce's identity. Recognised that Batman need help since his world has gotten much darker. Batman refuses to take on another kid but the kid saved Batman's life and impressed batman with their skills so much that batman accepts.

The kid becomes a valuable sidekick who though lacking in physical abilities more than makes up for that with her tech skills and her intuition all the while juggling a hero life with her personal and school life.

This Robin was more of a partner than a sidekick. Later a predecessor returns and attempts to kill the replacement Robin but Carrie Survives.

I wasn't sure if the original comment was being serious since the main universe writers clearly took something big from Millar's Work.
    Last edited by dietrich; 02-24-2020 at 11:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gotham citizen View Post
    Not only! They started a clone factory (synchronized with their telepath computer Cerebro), to resurrect themselves every time they die.
    Now I have flashbacks to the Paranoia RPG…
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    It actually works in context.
    And death in comics is a joke anyway, so...
    It does kinda fit with how people would react if they keep coming back from the dead that I talked about in the Pennyworth RIP discussion thread... I just need to hear a better wording because as is it's just "omg"

It's time for the Batfam to date within their own circle. I don't know at one part they are brothers and sisters. Then you have them dating. It's a weird incest thing. This is why I often like Dick with Kori. More because it's outside the family

Extraordinary Member CPSparkles's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    It's time for the Batfam to date within their own circle. I don't know at one part they are brothers and sisters. Then you have them dating. It's a weird incest thing. This is why I often like Dick with Kori. More because it's outside the family
    They don't date within the family.

Babs isn't family and neither is Steph.

Here's another odd one - I'm not at all sure they all need to be close. Fanfic loves to paint them as one big family (happy or dysfunctional). But, of course, originally Barbara was separate from Bruce and Dick. Then built a sort of partnership with Dick while she was a congresswoman, but still didn't have much to do with Bruce. I like that, that he wouldn't have to be the center of everything. I'd keep her dynamic with Cass as it played out. I prefer Steph as a non-Batgirl, with her connections being Tim and later Cass. Damian, maybe, but not Bruce or Jason or Duke or Dick. Tim could have a close relationship with Dick (I really enjoyed that), but I feel less strongly about his relationships with Jason or Cass (can take or leave, esp. Cass) and he doesn't have be close with Damian or Duke. Barbara and Jason appeared in like two issues together post-COIE before he died, as far as I can recall, and I dislike later recons on the two of them. I think I could like a Duke and Damian dynamic, but don't really care about Duke building a close rapport with the others (am not reading Outsiders, though, so maybe if I was I'd be swayed on him and Cass). Jason could be close with Tim, I kinda like the idea, but it's not super-necessary to me. But he needn't be close with really any of the others to me.

I'd prefer Barbara and Steph (who I definitely ship with former Robins), especially, who have not been fostered or lived with Bruce, to not have close relationships with him as the others do, and have to not necessarily have close relationships with all the others (though, like I said, I do want some of them).

I also think each of them having consistent people outside the family would help. Poor Damian can't keep any - Colin, Suren, Maya, ...bye bye. Jason's doing better in that regard lately, and Dick has been okay since the Teen Titans. Tim's back with YJ, though I don't know about any civilian friends. But Barbara and Steph and Cass and Duke, I'm just not so sure about.
    Last edited by Tzigone; 03-27-2020 at 06:43 PM.

Spectacular Member

I think The Batman (which aired from 2004 to 2008) is a more consistently enjoyable series overall than BTAS. It never quite reaches the heights of BTAS, but it also has really consistent quality and I prefer its takes on several villains, including Riddler, Catwoman, Penguin, Clayface, and Joker. The Penguin in BTAS is a really bland version, while The Batman's Penguin is a really fun, comedic take that is a pathetic loser. Mark Hamill is unmatchable, but the writing for the animated series Joker was inconsistent and the only great Joker centric episodes, IMO, are "Laughing Fish" and "Mad Love". The Batman, meanwhile, does a better job at having the Joker be both hilarious and genuinely creepy and disturbing (that design does a lot of the work) and almost every Joker episode is really good, with a few of them ("Strange Minds" and "The laughing Bat") being some of my favorite Joker stories in any medium.

I also like that The Batman has more continuity and we really get to see Bruce Wayne grow and evolve. We see him go from a year one type Batman who had only fought regular criminals and mobsters into the traditional Batman from modern comics with a full fledged rogues gallery and several sidekicks. The anthology style of BTAs worked, but it prevented that kind of development in some ways.

Plus, The Batman's version of Bruce Wayne cured Vampirism. That is all.

The Batman had some fun bits. But my interest was already waning and it absolutely died completely when the JL showed up and he'd taken over all the computers and stuff. I hate Batgod. You just have to understand. I was so excited at the idea of Batman not as a founding member or not involved in setting it up. It something different and potentially interesting. Excited to seem him on the team...and them my dreams came crashing down. Same crap all over again. Ruined, absolutely ruined any hope of me wanting to see more of him with the other heroes in that verse. I think I watched one more episode (to see Oracle) and that was it. I may be misremembering, though, it's been a while.

Hate The Batman's Joker and didn't care for Harley. Penguin was good. The cops were good. I did like the start of a Batman that feels fulfilled and happy with all that he's done with Batman and so forth.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    The Batman had some fun bits. But my interest was already waning and it absolutely died completely when the JL showed up and he'd taken over all the computers and stuff. I hate Batgod. You just have to understand. I was so excited at the idea of Batman not as a founding member or not involved in setting it up. It something different and potentially interesting. Excited to seem him on the team...and them my dreams came crashing down. Same crap all over again. Ruined, absolutely ruined any hope of me wanting to see more of him with the other heroes in that verse. I think I watched one more episode (to see Oracle) and that was it. I may be misremembering, though, it's been a while.

Hate The Batman's Joker and didn't care for Harley. Penguin was good. The cops were good. I did like the start of a Batman that feels fulfilled and happy with all that he's done with Batman and so forth.
    Interesting. I am currently rewatching the series for the first time in 8 years and I am mid season 2. What about the Joker don't you like? I understand his redesign was controversial for many. The Batman was what introduced me to the Batman mythology along with BTAS, so their Joker was ingrained on me from a young age.

I agree that I became less interested when the Justice League came in, but I might like that stuff more upon a rewatch. My favorite thing about the series, aside from finding their take on Batman himself to be on par with the BTAS version (my opinion, of course) is that I love seeing Batman grow and evolve over a long period of time. Most modern stories start at the very beginning and then jump ahead to an older and established Batman. This is what the Post-Crisis books did and this is what the New 52 did. The animated series, meanwhile, started in a bizarre and contradictory status quo where Batman had been around long enough to have established relationships with the police, a college aged-Robin, and storied histories with Joker and Penguin and yet had never met any other super villains or superheroes. Therefore, I found the Batman's commitment to showing Bruce grow from young and idealistic newbie to a more grizzled and cynical (but still thoroughly heroic and likable) crimefighter as the seasons went on to be really refreshing and cool.
    Last edited by Matt Parker; 03-29-2020 at 09:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Yeah that's what I meant.
    And I know fanboys would be upset that the Batman they read about or the past few decades was a clone, but it would be for the best!
    You mean the one that's so gloomy and depressing that Blackrock decided he was an unsuitable host?
    BatmanBlackrock.jpg
    Seriously... how depressing do you have to be for the Blackrock to not want you as a host? Oh right, you have to be willing to commit suicide by Superman. THAT depressing!
    Oh f... that is a jumping shark moment
    Nah, he left out how the Xmen currently have several X-teams, which is normal. But one of the X-teams is lead by Apocalypse, which is not normal.

What about the Joker don't you like?
    Honestly, I don't remember specifics, just that he irritated me a lot. So I suppose "hate" is too strong, since I evidently don't have the passion to recall. FTR, I prefer the more calculated, less psychotic, less gory, but also less zany Joker.

Quote Originally Posted by CPSparkles View Post
    They don't date within the family.

Babs isn't family and neither is Steph.

I don't know how much time and involved they are it can be to others they are family. But I still rejected Bruce and Babs

BANNED

Birds of Prey is Batman's harem.

Quote Originally Posted by Gurz View Post
    Birds of Prey is Batman's harem.
    Argument could be made that its Dick's