Page 230 of 267 FirstFirst ... 130180220226227228229230231232233234240 ... LastLast
Results 3,436 to 3,450 of 3996
    Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheRay View Post
    Every member of the Batfamily could probably carry their own book.
    We already know it's not true, as runs were ended due to low sales, and one shots already showed that there are characters that can't guarantee stable sales.

That’s happened to much more popular characters, though. It might be the popular thing to do, but you can’t only factor sales in.

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    duplicate Dicks? DO NOT WANT! I'd rather have Damian as Nightwing.
    I’m glad this was a joke.

Incredible Member

That’s happened to much more popular characters, though. It might be the popular thing to do, but you can’t only factor sales in.
    Right now we have solo books for Nightwing, Robin, Catwoman, Harley, the Batgirls share a book, and Jason has Task force Z. So with the exception of Tim, all the inner circle of the batfamily and main Gotham characters are accounted for in ongoing or maxi series.
    In the second circle we have Batwoman and Huntress that right now are leading Detective comics, with Huntress appearing there regularly for over a year. Bluebird has the punchline backup and Duke appears in Urban legends. Even Azreal appears in a mini.
    The facts are that not every single batfamily member can have a solo, and sales are a critical factor when DC decide which of the characters would get a book. It's clear why DC prefers to publish books that would sell 40k over books that would sell 20k, and if talent is limited and they are more conservative and prefer to examine readers interest with minis and one shots, it makes a lot of sense.
    But right now it seems that even less popular characters appear in either team books or anthologies. Urban legends spesifically allow characters to appear from time to time and not fade even if they aren't leading a book.
    Last edited by Lal; 01-09-2022 at 06:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lal View Post
    Right now we have solo books for Nightwing, Robin, Catwoman, Harley, the Batgirls share a book, and Jason has Task force Z. So with the exception of Tim, all the inner circle of the batfamily and main Gotham characters are accounted for in ongoing or maxi series.
    In the second circle we have Batwoman and Huntress that right now are leading Detective comics, with Huntress appearing there regularly for over a year. Bluebird has the punchline backup and Duke appears in Urban legends. Even Azreal appears in a mini.
    The facts are that not every single batfamily member can have a solo, and sales are a critical factor when DC decide which of the characters would get a book. It's clear why DC prefers to publish books that would sell 40k over books that would sell 20k, and if talent is limited and they are more conservative and prefer to examine readers interest with minis and one shots, it makes a lot of sense.
    But right now it seems that even less popular characters appear in either team books or anthologies. Urban legends spesifically allow characters to appear from time to time and not fade even if they aren't leading a book.
    Jason also has Future State: Gotham. For all intents and purposes, he is the main protagonist.

The facts are that not every single batfamily member can have a solo
    It seems like you're arguing for whether or not there's enough room for them to have a solo, not whether or not they actually can.

Extraordinary Member

It seems like you're arguing for whether or not there's enough room for them to have a solo, not whether or not they actually can.
    Yeah, there’s plenty of room - as I said earlier, the logistics of getting the right talent is the hard part… but the Bat Books have had that before.

Chuck Dixon used to be basically the workhorse/utility player of the BatBooks, able to handle any combination of books on an utterly insane level of workload with always good execution. Meanwhile, the roster of writers around the Inc. era was absolutely insane on its own, and better than anything that really came afterwards.

Again, though, I’d argue that editorials attempts to conserve strength outside fo book assignments has usually backfired - though that’s more with how often they fumbled and flailed on the Batgirls than the Robins.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Its a bit of both really. Not all of them can sell, and oversaturation can effect the ones that do.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 01-09-2022 at 09:59 PM.

Incredible Member

I'm saying that not all bat characters have a big enough fan base or generate enough interest to support an ongoing book with sustainable sales. I think we can all agree on that.

So as to who is able to have a sustainable solo - DC are now trying to give many characters a chance and testing their popularity in one shots or minis. That's a valid way, and if a character wasn't able to sell well, there's no reason to expect DC to announce an ongoing or a follow up book for them, when they could instead just give a book to a different character that generates more interest and sales.

So by "can" I mean all factors. Enough room, enough creators, general interest, sales. I'm sure that if a Duke one shot or an Azreal mini would have sold spectecularily, DC would have found the talent to write an ongoing for them.

There's also another problem with many writers trying to show the relevance or capability of their characters by undermining other characters. Especially in the bat books, with so many bat characters sharing similar traits, that is a problem. If a character is the only one smart enough, capable enough, or seen by Batman as the only one worthy, other brands and characters are hurt.
    Last edited by Lal; 01-10-2022 at 02:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    Again, though, I’d argue that editorials attempts to conserve strength outside fo book assignments has usually backfired.
    Okay, let's hear that argument.

Extraordinary Member

There's also another problem with many writers trying to show the relevance or capability of their characters by undermining other characters. Especially in the bat books, with so many bat characters sharing similar traits, that is a problem.
    I think one many of the new characters being to similar to already existing ones, is neither helping the old not the new ones.

And that the writers sometimes add traits of one established character to another, or are generally pretty inconsistent in what what skills and traits each character has, is also not helping.

I'm fine with Tim getting retired.

Extraordinary Member

Adult Damien as Batman is more interesting than current Damien as Robin.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    Adult Damien as Batman is more interesting than current Damien as Robin.
    Damian. With an "a".

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    Damian. With an "a".
    Apparently that's how bored I am with current Damian. I can't even be bothered to remember how to spell his name correctly.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    Apparently that's how bored I am with current Damian. I can't even be bothered to remember how to spell his name correctly.
    You also spelt the interesting version wrong. i just think you don't know how to spell Damian.

My controversial opinion I can't abide the incorrect spelling of Damian's name especially since Damian and Damien have very different meanings.

I feel the ire when Fans misspell Conner and Connor.