Page 1 of 267 123451151101 ... LastLast
    hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

Default Controversial Batfamily Opinions

I've seen (and participated in) threads akin to this one in other boards on this forum, and thought it might be a good idea to stick one up here. Basically the premise is to post opinions about members of the batfamily, or the behind the scenes aspects, that you have realized are controversial opinions to have around these-- or most-- parts. Here are a few examples, and some of my own:

Bruce Wayne is hardly interesting; the rest of the batfamily are the more interesting ones.
    Damian Wayne is probably better off dead.
    Barbara Gordon as Batgirl is weak, whiny, and was an unnecessary character degradation.
    Scott Lobdell is the best writer for Red Hood and the Outlaws.
    I now consider Roy Harper and Starfire unofficial members of the batfamily.
    Cassandra Cain is vastly unappealing.
    The "Harley Quinn" series is trite and disgusting.

How about you guys?

Batman is actually my least favorite character in the Batbooks.

Tim Drake should be gay.

Harley Quinn's solo book is boring and unfunny.
    Last edited by brandnewfan; 05-26-2014 at 02:33 PM.

Astonishing Member

A Batman who gets on well with - and has an honest, caring and friendly relationship with - the Bat Family is a more interesting and engaging character than Solo Batman or Untrusting Batman.

There shouldn't be a huge gulf between "Batman" and "Bruce Wayne".

Sooner or later, there needs to be a proper Red Hood batfamily story that addresses what on Earth everyone thinks about Jason Todd running happily about the place.

I'm not convinced that Stephanie Brown can carry her own title without being Batgirl - but she and Bluebird (and Carrie Kelly?) should work under Barbara on a new Birds Of Prey.

Dick Grayson has a more interesting dynamic with each and every other member of the Family than Bruce does.

The batfamily is in general unimportant.
    For the most part the batfamily lack their own flavour and arch enemies.
    Getting a new Robin nor or in the near future would be ridiculous.

Bruce should get married, with a wife that becomes an "oracle" type character balancing him out. Her reaction to his deep psychology and secrets? "Big deal."

penetrator of things

Dick Grayson should have sex with every woman in the DCU.

Wait, no, that's not an unpopular opinion. Everybody agrees.

Carry on.
    hi my name is tako and i like to grow leeks
    @takoleeks

Amazing Member

Never liked the Dick/Tim relationship. Always found them annoying together. Glad they're not close anymore.

Loathe the Dick/Babs ship.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

With the exception of certain portrayals (Bat-God/Bat Jerk), Bruce is a way more interesting character than the majority of his sidekicks.
    Dick is the only one that is absolutely essential to the mythos. Babs is a distant second, and the rest aren't even close.
    Dick-as-Nightwing works far better away from Gotham than he does in it.
    I love Barbara as Oracle, but she'll always be Batgirl to me
    There only needs to be two Robins, at most, in any given canon.
    Damian is a far better Robin than Tim, but:
    Carrie Kelley > Jason, Tim and Damian
    Bullock and Montoya > the Batfamily
    The classic villains, in their better portrayals, are way more interesting as well.
    Last edited by SiegePerilous02; 05-26-2014 at 06:25 PM.

Extraordinary Member

You can never have too many members of the Batfamily, and really the only thing that should be harped on an emphasized should be the little details that define their differences and their various levels of compassion and antagonism between each other:

Tim should not be played as completely graduated from Batman's sidekick yet. Instead, his MO should match his code name of being half promoted and half dependent. He needs strong connections to the family and some of his old history back and be experiencing growing pains. All of FabNic's issues should be referenced in continuity.

Damian should never have been killed. The latter half of. Batman Inc. was not worth killing off the the kid for some BS divorce allegory.

Cass Cain is easily the most awesome and creative Batgirl, Stephanie Brown is the most fun, and Babs should be the most dangerous but the decision to neuter her computer skills demotes the character below all her male peers. The latter should be rectified and all three should work together to create a huge geek-girl faction of comic readers united under the Bat's banner. I need comics to suggest to my sister, dagnabit!

Any attempt to comport or limit the Bat-family to the five year timeline of the New 52 should be smothered in its crib, buried, and then have it's tombstone peed on by Gene Simmons. Seriously, nothing good has come from the limited timeframe (Tim's new origin, fewer Batgirls, etc.) and all the good stuff has ignored it. Besides, Batman rocks as an experienced 30 year old.

Any relationship between Batman and Catwoman that has elements of the #1 issue will ruin the fun of the dynamic. Neither Bruce or Selina are that stupid, both have better standards, and it makes the entire UST feel wasted and tacked on. Either they know each other, or they aren't doing the hippity dippity.

Talia Al Ghul is wasted as a two dimensional villain, and the entire conception of Damian should be redefined. Broken hearts and genuine attempts at redemption for Mama Talia and appeals to Papa Bruce's dark side make a much better story than some quaint and heartless eugenics story. Just have them actually be in love because they have some common ground and separate over distances. Bruce has three adopted sons; he's the rare comic book character who actually can work older than his twenties.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    Talia Al Ghul is wasted as a two dimensional villain, and the entire conception of Damian should be redefined. Broken hearts and genuine attempts at redemption for Mama Talia and appeals to Papa Bruce's dark side make a much better story than some quaint and heartless eugenics story. Just have them actually be in love because they have some common ground and separate over distances. Bruce has three adopted sons; he's the rare comic book character who actually can work older than his twenties.
    No, that just makes for a "happy story". That doesn't make it "better".
    Last edited by LoneNecromancer; 05-26-2014 at 07:05 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by LoneNecromancer View Post
    No, that just makes for a "happy story". That doesn't make it "better".
    Three adopted sons and one adopted daughter (Cass).

Tim Drake needs to go. He's a creative sinkhole, void of any originality, and with this stupid 5 year time line he just clutters things up.

Jason Todd needs to break bad again.

I don't think Cass Cain is a very good character, and i don't think they should bring her back anytime soon. Sorry Cass fans. But with a five year time line there just really isn't the room for more characters who would, quite frankly, be with out a purpose or a role.

Kate Kane needs more of a personality.

DC has diminished "Nightwing" with the likes of Red Robin, Batwing, and new 52 Red Hood. So as much as i adore the Nightwing persona, i actually think that it might be good for Dick to ditch Nightwing for a bit. We have to many Nightwings right now.

BANNED

Dick never should have taken the cowl off. And I believe that.

New 52 Harley's characterisation has been pretty bad for the entirety of the new 52, the only one who got her right recently was Tom Taylor in Injustice, and that wasn't even new 52!

Her solo book isn't funny either, and the only reason I'm sticking around is cause she's my fav DC character and that might not even be enough for long.

I find the women of the batfam are far more interesting than the men in general.

Solo batman is not interesting to me.

I LOVE the Poison Ivy/Harley Quinn friendship but it doesn't make sense in the New 52, what with Poison Ivy being more of an anti-hero and Harley being more of a straight villain, either Ivy should influence Harley to be better or they should just break it off, hell they were fighting on opposite sides in the Gothtopia story arc, Harley's group captured Ivy, how are they still buddy-buddy?
    Last edited by Step; 05-26-2014 at 10:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post

I don't think Cass Cain is a very good character
    Not trying to pick a fight here, but could you explain this a bit better just so I know where you're coming from