Page 144 of 267 FirstFirst ... 4494134140141142143144145146147148154194244 ... LastLast
Results 2,146 to 2,160 of 3996
    Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Nevermind. Misread.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    And having canonical kids.
    Why do his sidekicks have to be his children?

Quote Originally Posted by TheRay View Post
    Why do his sidekicks have to be his children?
    Well, why can't they be his sidekicks? All of Bruce's kids were sidekicks, adopted or otherwise. Having a kid with Starfire, they would be half-alien as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    I didn't like the story at all. I read for Chris (and later Thara), not for the storyline.

Chris seemed to be a Robin fan - I seem to recall him commenting on it before begin returned to the Phantom Zone the first time. How does everyone feel about the idea of Robin having particular fans among the masses of the DC universe. People (likely kids) who think Robin, rather than Batman, is the awesomest? I like the idea. Shouldn't be everyone, but a few random kids is cool. People should only ever think Robin is joke if they're there to be proved wrong.
    I think it's always been in-universe that Robin was awesome. Admittedly it was Dick Grayson... the sidekick who was inspirational enough that all the young heroes look to him as a defacto leader. In the real world Robin was more popular than Batman and showing up in more adventures than he was... because he was the character that kids could relate to and wished they were... no reason that couldn't bleed over into the DC universe too. Robin's the kid with no powers but still leads the titans and is partner to Batman...

Admittedly just like the real world... the name 'Robin' carries so much history and power, that I don't think anyone really cares WHO is wearing the mask... but if they're Robin than they must have ths stuff.

Extraordinary Member CPSparkles's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    That is not the problem, my problem is, in a shared universe that DC tries to sell, they seem to want to have both, have the Batman and Robin brand and while making Robin stay away from him, and they do it without a good explanation.

Tim is not a problem here. Tim having his own world and supporting cast is a good example of how to do it right, but with Damian, for example, he's supposed to be living in Wayne Manor but often not even mentioned. That's the problem. That's the thing that breaks the story for me.
    Like I said before, Tim's house, academy, Titans Tower, Hudson University, are not included in the problem I brought up because they provide a good explanation of why the Robins are gone.

I'm talking specifically when they're gone, not in the story, Gotham or Manor but there's not even a mention where they are, and this I see often in New 52 or Rebirth.
    well that's not what your 1st post was about. Robin is at the TT's tower then. Does that help? he has 2 homes and you can read and see him there so I don't see what the problem is.

I mean Cass is also living at Wayne manor and is working in Gotham but we don't see her at least we know where Robin is.

Dc doesn't have a Batman and Robin Brand. They Have The Batman Brand and they have The Robin Brand.

They are separate. Damian and Dick were the 1st time we had that book.
    Last edited by CPSparkles; 01-08-2020 at 02:13 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by CPSparkles View Post
    well that's not what your 1st post was about. Robin is at the TT's tower then. Does that help? he has 2 homes and you can read and see him there so I don't see what the problem is.

I mean Cass is also living at Wayne manor and is working in Gotham but we don't see her at least we know where Robin is.
    At the moment, but there were times were he wasn't a member of the Titans, or when Duke was also living at the Manor ...

There have really been times where the wrter made a better job in keeping track were every one is.

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    I think it's always been in-universe that Robin was awesome. Admittedly it was Dick Grayson... the sidekick who was inspirational enough that all the young heroes look to him as a defacto leader. In the real world Robin was more popular than Batman and showing up in more adventures than he was... because he was the character that kids could relate to and wished they were... no reason that couldn't bleed over into the DC universe too. Robin's the kid with no powers but still leads the titans and is partner to Batman...

Admittedly just like the real world... the name 'Robin' carries so much history and power, that I don't think anyone really cares WHO is wearing the mask... but if they're Robin than they must have ths stuff.
    Robin was never more popular than Batman.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    yes he was, why do you think there so many kid sidekicks nowadays. dick was the reason there was a bucky and a teenage spiderman. comics were trying to copy the essence and popularity of robin not to mention detective comics sold more once robin appeared.

he was back in the Golden age

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    At the moment, but there were times were he wasn't a member of the Titans, or when Duke was also living at the Manor ...

There have really been times where the wrter made a better job in keeping track were every one is.
    You are not wrong there.

Question is what are sidekicks in the DC universe? In a sense what is the way, Dick would be with his sidekick than Bruce? Are sidekicks just mentees or something else? Plus any names for his sidekicks? If they were his kids. I feel that should come later now the line

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    Question is what are sidekicks in the DC universe? In a sense what is the way, Dick would be with his sidekick than Bruce? Are sidekicks just mentees or something else? Plus any names for his sidekicks? If they were his kids. I feel that should come later now the line
    dick tried out little wing for jason in one year later and little wing for tim in a young justice story and before anyone say no he didnt it was the title of the story for dick and tim hanging out

BANNED

Jason Todd evolved better as individual character than Dick ever did. I donīt like Dick starring a solo, I think he fits better in teams

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    Sidekicks are apprentices and field assistants.

Bruce acts differently to his sidekicks depend on the era.
    In Golden Age, he acts as a combination of big brother, father, uncle and mentor, very casual and having fun
    In the modern era where things are more realistic, he demands perfection because if they're not good they're dead, and he says upfront that he won't be a father only to get emotionally attached anyway.

The big difference between Dick and Bruce I think is Bruce demands his apprentices to follow his rule to the letter but Dick doesn't demand change. He gives them time to be themselves and grow at their own pace.

Damian didn't respect him at first because he thinks he's a poor replacement, but once he went off on his own and fail to save someone, he realized that he's still incapable, and when Dick still rescued and believe in him, he started to respect him.

He's also able to read what his charges are thinking and give them an alternative.

Like with Ravager, he knows she's taught to be an assassin, and he doesn't demand her to instantly change or pretend she's not a killer, but he provides an alternative to settle disputes that don't involve killing people, and give a good reason for it that she can believe, such as "we need them alive so we can interrogate them or lead us to their boss"

Bruce is more hammer and nail.

"You fail to win against 100 gangsters, Helena, even though I give that task because I believe you could, so you're not in" and they have to prove things in a different way to gain his approval. Batman finally complimented Helena when she managed to give him a list of all the mob in Gotham, which is beyond what he asked or care for her.

With Stephanie, it's "one mistake and you're out"

I've heard otherwise. Especially back in the golden age when he was promoted in everything from Batman, Detective, World's finest, and Star Spangled Comics. Popularity is a fleeting thing and depends from person to person... but obviously DC saw him as a cash cow and kids responded to him.