Page 133 of 267 FirstFirst ... 3383123129130131132133134135136137143183233 ... LastLast
Results 1,981 to 1,995 of 3996
    Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by CPSparkles View Post
    The thing is those insecurities or defending a favourite aren't specific to Robins but fans in general. It's a reality of all fandoms.

What even is the Ric mindset? Reject his hero past but works helping out randoms hero wanna be's? I'm not spending money on that comic so I'm behind.
    You're right haha, that's fandoms in general. I just feel like the Robins have been one of the more senseless ones I've seen in comics.

For me, the Ric mindset is that despite still having the trauma of losing his parents, he didn't retain any of the strong feelings of justice he had that made him Robin. He remembers only up to their death, so I'm sure the feelings should be raw as well. But he doesn't have those feelings and views being a superhero as a chore he didn't ask for. Even after he "supposedly" accepted the superhero role in the end of the first Ric arc. It's that situation in where if he sees a capable superhero(not the fake NWs), he would prob not try to contribute and help them and just be a civilian.

It's a worse version of Dick Grayson in the beginning of Titans S01.

Extraordinary Member CPSparkles's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Darkcrusade25 View Post
    You're right haha, that's fandoms in general. I just feel like the Robins have been one of the more senseless ones I've seen in comics.

For me, the Ric mindset is that despite still having the trauma of losing his parents, he didn't retain any of the strong feelings of justice he had that made him Robin. He remembers only up to their death, so I'm sure the feelings should be raw as well. But he doesn't have those feelings and views being a superhero as a chore he didn't ask for. Even after he "supposedly" accepted the superhero role in the end of the first Ric arc. It's that situation in where if he sees a capable superhero(not the fake NWs), he would prob not try to contribute and help them and just be a civilian.

It's a worse version of Dick Grayson in the beginning of Titans S01.
    And zero agency or conviction in both options. He just reacts to the based on external influences. That I think is what i hate most about this phase [I still refuse to accept it]

I thought the Talon arc was supposed to lead to his rediscovering himself.

I know Outside media doesn't automatically lead to comics but it's odd to me how many Main Character of current shows are missing or in could be better comics. Batwoman, Dick, Titans, Green Arrow. DC could do better especially on a title like Nightwing where the problem isn't sales or end of run like #50 with GA

On the Fandom topic even the antagonisms come and go. I hesitate to jump on a soapbox though since I know I've made snide comments or lashed out so would be hypocritical

A lot of Dick Grayson fans have a shallow, idealized head canon of the character that has very little in common with the comic version.

Batman is mostly a perfect father in fanfiction.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 12-27-2019 at 10:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    A lot of Dick Grayson fans have a shallow, idealized head canon of the character that has very little in common with the comic version.

Batman is mostly a perfect father in fanfiction.
    Depends on the writer, to be honest. I know of a few fics that have made justice to Dick's full character, and not few fics picture Bruce the polar oposite of what a good parent is.

I know it's "popular", to some degree, to dismiss fanfiction; but there are some talented people out there that do make a good job when they write known characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaresh View Post
    Depends on the writer, to be honest. I know of a few fics that have made justice to Dick's full character, and not few fics picture Bruce the polar oposite of what a good parent is.

I know it's "popular", to some degree, to dismiss fanfiction; but there are some talented people out there that do make a good job when they write known characters.
    I'm not dismissing fanfiction at all. I've read and enjoyed plenty of fanfics myself.

My issue was with how certain fanfics and head canons portray Bruce and Dick.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 12-27-2019 at 11:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    I'm not dismissing fanfiction at all. I've read and enjoyed plenty of fanfics myself.

My issue was with how certain fanfics and head canons portray Bruce and Dick.
    Oh, ok, I understand.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaresh View Post
    Oh, ok, I understand.
    No worries.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Following medieval knighthood law, I want any and all Robin to stay out of the field until training is over and they're old enough

Starting at 8 years old, their task as Page is to help around the manor and cave and assist Alfred on his duty
    Once they hit 13, proper training for these Squires can begin in the cave. Martial arts, investigation, problem-solving, and various equipment.
    Up until this point, if there's an emergency, Alfred will be the one driving to the field, while Robins stay in the cave and take over Command Center.
    They can begin knighthood at age 15, the first time they're allowed out in the field, but only to assist and not jump in, except in the case of emergency.
    At 18, there's graduation, and they become equal partners.

That's all well and good, but then there's their personality.

Tim, Duke, and Steph will have no problem following these orders because they know their limits and eager to please. When they're solo though, they're not Bruce's responsibility, and each of their parents is unavailable, so if they wanna go off on their own, it's no one's responsibility but their own.

Damian will follow orders because he pretty much worships his dad and he can be intimidated to do so, but he has a much shorter fuse and larger pride. As long as Talia, Alfred, Dick or Tim aren't involved I guess he'll be fine, but even if he goes to the field, it will lead to his death anyway just as the story went.

Jason, despite the initial meeting, is so thankful to have proper home and education he'll obey, at least until he found out about his dad and Two-Face while on Command Center duty, and later, the rapist protected by Diplomatic Immunity. Though if we're keeping A Death in The Family, his understandable disobedience will lead to the foregone conclusion anyway.

Dick... disobeys Bruce from day one and he has revenge thirst on Zucco. Barring straitjackets, I can see no way of keeping him off the field at least until Zucco's dead and in prison since we're talking about an 8-year-old at the youngest who can scale down a third-floor window. Even after that's done, his thirst for excitement, adventure and performance will be a problem, especially if he's allowed to wear a costume when hunting Zucco. Maybe the Two-Face trauma is necessary to keep him off-field, I don't know. This is before he meets the other kid sidekicks, which is another temptation, but at the very least, Wally and Donna can protect him.

The Costume
    Bulletproof vests and cowl are a must, also pants. I just don't know what it will look like. Red Robin?
    The color is Tim's costume. Red and Black.

Anyway, as a father, a CEO, and a superhero, that's as much as Bruce can do barring retiring completely to take care of them, and we know he won't retire.
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 12-28-2019 at 09:01 AM.

Incredible Member Gotham citizen's Avatar

92 minutes of applauses for Restingvoice!

I like the idea the Robins should be for Batman what a squire was for a knight: it justifies their young age, preserves their role of Batman's assistant and solve the atavistic issues of Robin: a thirteen years old boy can't have the strength (both physical than mental) and the stamina to fight against criminals, but if Robin is meant to be the Batman's squire, then he shouldn't fight (if everything works like it should) and so his youth is no more an issue. This also fit with an idea the movie Dark Knight Rises gave to me: most of the Wayne Manor should be an orphanage/instituite for poor children (the Thomas & Martha Wayne Institute for Children); except an apartment where Bruce lives with Alfred and (if need be) also Alfred's daughter Julia in the role of housemaid. In this way Bruce can easily oversee the education of the guests of the Institute every day and if he found a child with the right attitude, he can (discretely) trial him to see if he can became a Robin.
    Unfortunately it is a dangerous idea, because in this way a bad writer would give the idea Bruce Wayne is a fanatic who see the Institute like a recruiting office, while on the contrary in my idea he doesn't want use the T&M Institute in that way, but to help some poor children and the recruitment of the Robins should be aimed to rise, because after all Bruce hopes a future where Gotham doesn't need Batman; at least this is my humble opinion.

P.S. This idea of the T. & M. Wayne Institute solves another atavistic Batman's issue: how can Alfred manage the entire Wayne Mansion alone?

P.P.S. About the costumes: they could be red and black for Tim Drake (alias Red Robin) and green and black for Damian (alias Green Robin).

Eh, for me that defeats the entire purpose of Robin - kid adventurer who can kick adult butt. Unrealistic - certainly. But fun.

Also, I like someone in the field with Batman. I enjoy the stories more that way

I also sort of miss the idea of heroes that readers could wish they were - in the old sense of comics - and kid heroes are nice for that, too. Not that kids can't put themselves in the place of a adult heroes, but still, one their own age is cool.
    Last edited by Tzigone; 12-28-2019 at 11:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    Following medieval knighthood law, I want any and all Robin to stay out of the field until training is over and they're old enough

[...]
    This is awesome and I wish it were like this if we were to write a new DCU from scratch. Throw in Orders for fun, and a few more medieval elements.

The children could still kick ass, but not big bad, big guys or assassin's asses. Not in a regular basis, putting them in grave peril. Which is really unrealistic, not just a bit, and hightly reckless for an adult to allow.
    Last edited by Zaresh; 12-28-2019 at 11:42 AM. Reason: little bits here and there

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    Eh, for me that defeats the entire purpose of Robin - kid adventurer who can kick adult butt. Unrealistic - certainly. But fun.

Also, I like someone in the field with Batman. I enjoy the stories more that way

I also sort of miss the idea of heroes that readers could wish they were - in the old sense of comics - and kid heroes are nice for that, too. Not that kids can't put themselves in the place of a adult heroes, but still, one their own age is cool.
    Usually, I agree, but the main comic has established itself as a chaotic take-all world where they want the brand, the fanservice, the darkness, the realism, the tragedy, and wacky comic book stuff. I can't do that. I can't read Batman realistically grieving while at the same scene the Robins make fun of their own deaths, and after multiple deaths still train more kids, still being neglectful (I mean literally forgetting their birthdays and hang out more with sentient starfish and Catwoman than the kids).

So if fans want all or most of the story, a good Batman, a Jason who died and resurrected as Red Hood, a trained assassin kid, then this is the best I can think of.

Though I haven't thought about the Teen Titans part so this idea still may change.

The Robin wish-fulfillment adventures will be in the kids line. They're not supposed to die anyway if it's aimed at kids.
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 12-28-2019 at 12:07 PM.

Robin is a concept I struggle with. Most of fav characters are/were Robins but I don't actually agree with the idea of Batman taking kids into the field esp his kids. It just doesn't feel like something a caring father would do. Esp after losing one.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dietrich View Post
    Robin is a concept I struggle with. Most of fav characters are/were Robins but I don't actually agree with the idea of Batman taking kids into the field esp his kids. It just doesn't feel like something a caring father would do. Esp after losing one.
    This is why I really only like Dick and Damian. Jason makes things too real and adds way too much angst baggage, and him taking on someone else's kid as a partner without the parent's consent is gross and creepy and why I don't like Tims story

Due to their powers, Cassandra Cain, Jason Todd, and Duke Thomas should be the top 3 most dangerous Bat-Members
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."