Page 143 of 267 FirstFirst ... 4393133139140141142143144145146147153193243 ... LastLast
Results 2,131 to 2,145 of 3996

Quote Originally Posted by Sergard View Post
    Plot twist: Bruce' grandfather was an ostrich.
    Now, now, this is a thematic thing with Gotham. First robins, then owls, now ostrichs...

Don't Bully a Hurt Dragon Sergard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zaresh View Post
    Now, now, this is a thematic thing with Gotham. First robins, then owls, now ostrichs...
    Be aware of Ostrichman - if he can't see you, you can't see him!

Quote Originally Posted by Sergard View Post
    Be aware of Ostrichman - if he can't see you, you can't see him!
    XDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD I hate you so much. My father thinks that I've lost my marbles now. I wasn't prepared for that!!!

Extraordinary Member CPSparkles's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    Dead and not his grandma. That's comic book continuity for you. It generally irritates when retcons make previous stories make no sense. Of course, we've rebooted the universe since then, and I at least find major retcons more palatable when they are different universes, because then they aren't even supposed to be compatible. I haven't actually read the New 52 version of Jason's death. I know that at one point Sheila was nixed and the Joker was annoyingly making plans for him back before he became Robin, but frankly, it's all a bit hazy.
    Ahh thanks for the info.

Bluebird

Then you get flamebirds and bluebirds and whatever the hell kind of bird a nightwing is breaking up the pattern.

Quote Originally Posted by Stars & Stripes View Post
    Then you get flamebirds and bluebirds and whatever the hell kind of bird a nightwing is breaking up the pattern.
    A Kryptonian one
    Nightwing bird.jpg

A Kryptonian one
    Nightwing bird.jpg
    Yeah, and also, NW is also the God of Secrets and Shadows for the kryptonians (or something along that line. Flamebird was the god of creativity, life and fire or something?).

(Damn you, DC. I liked Chris)
    Last edited by Zaresh; 01-07-2020 at 04:06 PM.

Yeah, and also, NW is also the God of Secrets and Shadows for the kryptonians (or something along that line. Flamebird was the god of creativity, life and fire or something?).

(Damn you, DC. I liked Chris)
    I liked Chris, too. Another reason not to want Lois and Clark to have another child - she'll just be speed-aged up like the others.

Not sure how I feel about Nightwing and Flamebird being retconned to Kryptonian gods so much later, though. Weirdly, I once saw someone say that the nature of the Kryptonian god was part of what Dick was (alone, a creature of darkness, etc.) and that was just so wrong-headed to me because that version of Nightwing, in the Kryptonian sense, didn't exist until way after Dick took the name, and when he took the name he was a daylight hero on a team.

I liked Chris, too. Another reason not to want Lois and Clark to have another child - she'll just be speed-aged up like the others.

Not sure how I feel about Nightwing and Flamebird being retconned to Kryptonian gods so much later, though. Weirdly, I once saw someone say that the nature of the Kryptonian god was part of what Dick was (alone, a creature of darkness, etc.) and that was just so wrong-headed to me because that version of Nightwing, in the Kryptonian sense, didn't exist until way after Dick took the name, and when he took the name he was a daylight hero on a team.
    I think that they decided to give NW that background because original Nightwing (Dick) ended like a night hero in the end.
    The concept itself was nice. Pulpy, which is something I always welcome; and it gave chirpy, clever Chris something different going for him that wasn't neither what the original Nightwing was, nor anything like any other member of the super cast had (and a cool costume and cool superpowers). Unfortunately, the story itself wasn't that good. The end was kind of a mess, as far as I recall.

Unfortunately, the story itself wasn't that good. The end was kind of a mess, as far as I recall.
    I didn't like the story at all. I read for Chris (and later Thara), not for the storyline.

Chris seemed to be a Robin fan - I seem to recall him commenting on it before begin returned to the Phantom Zone the first time. How does everyone feel about the idea of Robin having particular fans among the masses of the DC universe. People (likely kids) who think Robin, rather than Batman, is the awesomest? I like the idea. Shouldn't be everyone, but a few random kids is cool. People should only ever think Robin is joke if they're there to be proved wrong.
    Last edited by Tzigone; 01-07-2020 at 05:44 PM.

I didn't like the story at all. I read for Chris (and later Thara), not for the storyline. I'd have rather he had typical Kryptonian powers, though. And kept Kon limited to tactile tk, only.

Chris seemed to be a Robin fan - I seem to recall him commenting on it before begin returned to the Phantom Zone the first time. How does everyone feel about the idea of Robin having particular fans among the masses of the DC universe. People (likely kids who think Robin, rather than Batman, is the awesomest? I like the idea. Shouldn't be everyone, but a few random kids is cool. People should only ever think Robin is joke if they're there to be proved wrong.
    I can't remember when he did, but I remember him commenting that too, and me thinking "that's a nice touch". Edit: I've been trying to remember, and it wasn't in Last Son, I'm almost sure (but maybe you're right. I don't own a copy, unfortunately). It was much later, I think. I such at remembering this stuff. Edit again: nevermind, you're right. It has to be in Last Son.

I think it's very likely that there're more fans of the "sidekicks" out there in-universe. It's just that there aren't a lot of young heroes, or young characters, that aren't under some 7-big influence. Featured outside those "sidekicks" books, I mean.
    Last edited by Zaresh; 01-07-2020 at 05:43 PM.

they should expunge Joker's 'Red Hood falling into Ace Chemicals' origin from canon. The Joker being evil because he fell into chemicals takes a lot of the intrigue out of the character. His backstory should always be ambiguous. Hell I wouldn't mind if they got rid of the bleached skin and made him look more in line with Heath Ledger or Joequin Phoenix with the makeup.

Quote Originally Posted by OpaqueGiraffe17 View Post
    they should expunge Joker's 'Red Hood falling into Ace Chemicals' origin from canon. The Joker being evil because he fell into chemicals takes a lot of the intrigue out of the character. His backstory should always be ambiguous. Hell I wouldn't mind if they got rid of the bleached skin and made him look more in line with Heath Ledger or Joequin Phoenix with the makeup.
    I agree that his backstory should be shrouded in mystery. I didn't realize the chemical origin was still in-continuity.

I agree that his backstory should be shrouded in mystery. I didn't realize the chemical origin was still in-continuity.
    Well it was in Zero Year. It’s probably always been canon since they introduced Red Hood in the silver age, one way or another. Which is why it’s probably controversial that I think the character is better off without it.
    I get the appeal of Batman being partially responsible for the Joker becoming what he is. But I think Joker is more interesting when you know nothing about him. And getting rid of the bleached skin, making him appear like a regular human being. Idk, I think that makes him more disturbing than him just being some chemical monster.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CPSparkles View Post
    Tim did live with his parents and had school. That was what made him special.

He was the one that showed that Robin can be independent. The 1st independent robin balancing his personal life with heroics.

Even after his was orphaned he maintained an apartment.
    That is not the problem, my problem is, in a shared universe that DC tries to sell, they seem to want to have both, have the Batman and Robin brand and while making Robin stay away from him, and they do it without a good explanation.

Tim is not a problem here. Tim having his own world and supporting cast is a good example of how to do it right, but with Damian, for example, he's supposed to be living in Wayne Manor but often not even mentioned. That's the problem. That's the thing that breaks the story for me.
    Like I said before, Tim's house, academy, Titans Tower, Hudson University, are not included in the problem I brought up because they provide a good explanation of why the Robins are gone.

I'm talking specifically when they're gone, not in the story, Gotham or Manor but there's not even a mention where they are, and this I see often in New 52 or Rebirth.
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 01-07-2020 at 06:44 PM.