Page 161 of 267 FirstFirst ... 61111151157158159160161162163164165171211261 ... LastLast
Results 2,401 to 2,415 of 3996

I feel like Joker shouldn't know who the Batfam is. I feel like in a sense it takes away how here and many villains see him. In a sense yea, he is a normal guy and yet he isn't to them.

Extraordinary Member

My controversial opinion would be that a Damain Wayne who hangs out mostly with Dick isn’t as interesting as a Damian Wayne who hangs out with Tim or Steph.

That’s how I came to like the character; seeing people have a more hostile relationship with him but make it work anyways, and with a deliberate contrast between “Goody two shoes” Tim and “ex-screw-up” Steph.

The main reason I don’t care about the DTV storylines with Damian is because without either one of them to highlight and occasionally mock his more bratty characteristics more than Dick does, he mostly just comes off as the jerk I didn’t like in the first place.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    My controversial opinion would be that a Damain Wayne who hangs out mostly with Dick isn’t as interesting as a Damian Wayne who hangs out with Tim or Steph.

That’s how I came to like the character; seeing people have a more hostile relationship with him but make it work anyways, and with a deliberate contrast between “Goody two shoes” Tim and “ex-screw-up” Steph.

The main reason I don’t care about the DTV storylines with Damian is because without either one of them to highlight and occasionally mock his more bratty characteristics more than Dick does, he mostly just comes off as the jerk I didn’t like in the first place.
    Damian and Steph in Steph's Batgirl series was gold. However, Steph basically brushed off Damian's hostility and treated him like a little brother. Argued, and threw petty insults, but she still looked out for him (and made him dress like a typical 10 year old).

Damian and Tim... That's kind of hard to do. Jason and Tim at least had a chapter where they could talk things out. Damian and Tim, well, I don't think that's ever been done. Its more or less been swept under the rug (though it still thrives in fanfics).

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post

Agreed. I would like to see Bruce and a Talia that hasnt been screwed over by Morrison interact healthily more with him too. To me all of them are more interesting than Dick. Dick should work as only his mentor.
    Last edited by nhienphan2808; 05-06-2020 at 02:48 AM.

I mean I think a lot of why Dick and Damian are well liked is due to Dick taking the role of Batman. That worked well together. The other issue is they often have Daimian be the ******* despite lowing him down in other comics. I wouldn't mind if he had other relationships.

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    I mean I think a lot of why Dick and Damian are well liked is due to Dick taking the role of Batman. That worked well together. The other issue is they often have Daimian be the ******* despite lowing him down in other comics. I wouldn't mind if he had other relationships.
    Damian often ends up in the role of speaking for the audience. Batman is like "This is the Bat-code of Conduct", and then Damian is like: "so why is there an entire chapter on how killing the Joker is bad?"

Amazing Member

Damian should not exist. Worst Robin and an embarrassment to the Robin and Wayne legacy. His character development is either stagnant or reversing. Jason should be the one calling out Bruce. Damian is a kid! What the hell does he know about life! Would you people listen to a 10 year old about life? Dick and Tim as Robin never argued about adult matters. They were humble and learned to follow because they don't have the ego and pride of Damian.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by qwazer07 View Post
    Damian should not exist. Worst Robin and an embarrassment to the Robin and Wayne legacy. His character development is either stagnant or reversing. Jason should be the one calling out Bruce. Damian is a kid! What the hell does he know about life! Would you people listen to a 10 year old about life? Dick and Tim as Robin never argued about adult matters. They were humble and learned to follow because they don't have the ego and pride of Damian.
    Agreed. Plus, his entire claim to Robin-hood is the fact that his dad is Batman.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by qwazer07 View Post
    I echo this. Damian is only relevant because of the "Son of Batman" tagline, and he is used as a club to hammer Bruce as the absolute worst person/father in the world. If he was Talia's and some other person's kid he probably would have been sent into limbo like Wonder Woman's brother. But the funny thing is for as much as Damian fans bash Bruce, if there is any suggestion of Damian not being Bruce's son they get upset. The whole Deathstroke vs Batman storyline is a perfect example. The mere suggestion that Slade and not Bruce was Damian's father made some people mad. So they hate Batman but love that Damian is his son and all the benefits and exposure that brings.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Agreed. Plus, his entire claim to Robin-hood is the fact that his dad is Batman.
    No it isn't. He was a kid alone working as a hero in Gotham who needed saving. You know whole The reason Dick created Robin.

The reason why Bruce took in the boys he did. He needed family since his dad was dead and his mum disowned him because he became a hero and he was alone.

Quote Originally Posted by The tall man View Post
    I echo this. Damian is only relevant because of the "Son of Batman" tagline, and he is used as a club to hammer Bruce as the absolute worst person/father in the world. If he was Talia's and some other person's kid he probably would have been sent into limbo like Wonder Woman's brother. But the funny thing is for as much as Damian fans bash Bruce, if there is any suggestion of Damian not being Bruce's son they get upset. The whole Deathstroke vs Batman storyline is a perfect example. The mere suggestion that Slade and not Bruce was Damian's father made some people mad. So they hate Batman but love that Damian is his son and all the benefits and exposure that brings.
    Writers don't need Damian to make Bruce look like a bad father. Bruce is crappy with all his kids.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by dietrich View Post
    Writers don't need Damian to make Bruce look like a bad father. Bruce is crappy with all his kids.
    I actually think it works better when Bruce is allowed to be in a weird place as a father, where he’s a genuinely good fraternal mentor, parental figure, and sensei half the time, and flawed but not really crappy, with the exception of Damian, where just a bad combination of the wrong similarities and differences makes a more tumultuous and dysfunctional relationship with the actual blood son compared to the other kids.

Dick is more like a younger brother who Bruce has a generally great relationship with, but some brutally rough patches.

Jason and Bruce had an almost entirely positive relationship... which is why Jason reacted so badly when Bruce didn’t avenge his death.

Tim is a goody little two shoes who tried to maintain more of a straight up sensei-student relationship, and a pseudo-paternal relationship developed over time.

Damian is simply a rough mix of some of Bruce’s own prickly nature and an even more anti-social upbringing... which ironically means that the people best suited to deal with him are the ultimate people person in Dick and someone who had to deal with the prickliest side of Bruce in Stephanie.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

His claim to the Robin identity is actually that Dick Grayson, the original and most famous Robin, gave him the identity as was his right to do so.

Anyway, Damian (at least Morrison's Damian) is the (distant) second best Robin after Dick.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by dietrich View Post
    No it isn't. He was a kid alone working as a hero in Gotham who needed saving. You know whole The reason Dick created Robin.

The reason why Bruce took in the boys he did. He needed family since his dad was dead and his mum disowned him because he became a hero and he was alone.
    Dick and Jason lost their parents to crime. Bruce, having been in their place, stepped in to provide guidance, to redirect their anger in a more healthy manner.

What's Damien's motivation?

"My dad is Batman, thus I should be Robin, then Batman."

He assumes that he's entitled to the role because of birth. Not because he actually cares about justice, or knows what its like to lose family to crime. His dad is Batman, that's why writers keep him around.

Dick and Jason lost their parents to crime. Bruce, having been in their place, stepped in to provide guidance, to redirect their anger in a more healthy manner.

What's Damien's motivation?

"My dad is Batman, thus I should be Robin, then Batman."

He assumes that he's entitled to the role because of birth. Not because he actually cares about justice, or knows what its like to lose family to crime. His dad is Batman, that's why writers keep him around.
    Speaking as someone who isn't that big a Damian fan.

Yes, he does act like an entitled bratt at first (and the goes back to it for a while) but he does believe in the ideals his father fights for and he is trying to escape the corruptive influence of his mother's side of the family.