Page 176 of 267 FirstFirst ... 76126166172173174175176177178179180186226 ... LastLast
Results 2,626 to 2,640 of 3996

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    I never hated the character, but I've always found her to be dull and boring. She's never really felt like an important character to me no matter how hard the books try to tell us she is.

Other unpopular opinions ...

The idea that Alfred worked for Bruce's parents and took care of him when he was a little kid up until now has never felt right to me. I much prefer the old backstory where Batman and Robin are already active before Alfred comes to live with them.

Tim Drake is the best Robin.

Batman looks better in spandex with trunks than he has ever looked in armor. (The movies not withstanding.)

Joker being in love with Batman, being a force of nature, and philosophizing about how the word if mad or anyone could be mad has ruined the character. Joker being an eccentric, ego maniac gangster with a love for the theatrical is far more interesting.

The Dark Knight would have been a better movie WITHOUT Joker. Playing the mob and the police against each other, the two boats, two hostages in two locations, all of that feel like classic Two-Face plots.
    Yeah... I agree with all of this. Batman in armor has always been a sore point for me. I just don't think Batman can be Batman if he's sacrificing so much mobility for defense. Tim... Alfred... Leslie... Yeah, I agree with all of that. Especially the Joker.

I never even considered that about TDK... but you're spot on. That really does feel like a Two Face plot pushing the duality of humanity and all that... Wow... Now I kind of want to watch it again.

Fantastic Member Spencermalley935's Avatar

I never hated the character, but I've always found her to be dull and boring. She's never really felt like an important character to me no matter how hard the books try to tell us she is.

Other unpopular opinions ...

The idea that Alfred worked for Bruce's parents and took care of him when he was a little kid up until now has never felt right to me. I much prefer the old backstory where Batman and Robin are already active before Alfred comes to live with them.

Tim Drake is the best Robin.

Batman looks better in spandex with trunks than he has ever looked in armor. (The movies not withstanding.)

Joker being in love with Batman, being a force of nature, and philosophizing about how the word if mad or anyone could be mad has ruined the character. Joker being an eccentric, ego maniac gangster with a love for the theatrical is far more interesting.

The Dark Knight would have been a better movie WITHOUT Joker. Playing the mob and the police against each other, the two boats, two hostages in two locations, all of that feel like classic Two-Face plots.
    These portrayals of the Joker aren't mutually exclusive, He can very easily be both. Ledgers Joker was very theatrical and eccentric.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Spencermalley935 View Post
    These portrayals of the Joker aren't mutually exclusive, He can very easily be both. Ledgers Joker was very theatrical and eccentric.
    The Joker should be a dangerous entertainer. That's what Leto is missing. He's just another gangster. My guess is Matt Reeves is setting Joker up via the Red Hood in his 1st movie?? Now I just realized how much I hate Scott Snyder's-immortal-I-sleep-under-your-bed-Joker. Ugh. James McAvoy would make a nice Joker

All Robins are best Robins since we as readers all have subjective taste.

If Robin is the light then Tim and Damian are the worst since Bruce reached the apex of Toxic behaviour under them.

Dick Grayson is the best since he is the only Robin who ever had a positive effect on Batman. The only one@Alan2009

Extraordinary Member

Tim should change his name to Redwing.

\
    Co-sign. The modern insistence on Alfred being Bruce's "father" does not sit right with me. If Alfred was a good father, Bruce would be better-adjusted. At minimum, an attentive father would have gotten Bruce into therapy and/or helped him come to terms with his parents' death.

Not sure whether this is actually unpopular, but having a madcap character like Harley Quinn running around so prominently kind of breaks Batman's world, and devolves it into self-parody.
    Cheers - CL

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    Tim should change his *civilian* name to Redwing. Redwing Drake.
    Cheers - CL

If a robin movie were to be made. What would you want to do? What books would you base it off? For Damian maybe we can do a Batman and Robin movie. Where Dick is Batman arc.

Making Dick 'graduate' to Batman takes away what makes him unique. Nightwing is Dick becoming his own man.

Having Bruce adopt Tim Drake in main continuity was a mistake. Tim having his own family was what made him unique. Like Terry, he should have the option to be able to walk away from it all one day but he *chooses* to risk his life anyway that's what makes him interesting.

The Dark Knight is overrated. Batman's 'detective work' was more ludicrous than anything on CSI, Joker wasn't funny and Two Face was underused. The refusal to have any connective tissue between movies hurt the trilogy; Rachel Dawes should have been Harvey Dent, Talia should have been the love interest of the first movie, Harvey Dent should have been properly set up in the first movie so his downfall in the second would have had more impact, Gordon's son at the end could have been replaced by Barbara Gordon and JGL's entire character could have been replaced by Barbara Gordon. The characters don't feel like people and more like moving parts of a machinery with each character representing a concept.

Barbara Gordon is at a dead end character wise if she doesn't 'evolve' into Oracle or something else (maybe Congresswoman?). The Birds of Prey doesn't work unless it's the creation of an older, wiser Barbara Gordon using her new found edge to help other superheroes.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    Barbara Gordon is at a dead end character wise if she doesn't 'evolve' into Oracle or something else (maybe Congresswoman?). The Birds of Prey doesn't work unless it's the creation of an older, wiser Barbara Gordon using her new found edge to help other superheroes.
    I think it's more the existence and (well deserved) overall success of Kate as Batwoman that hinders Babs-as-Batgirl. Because, if TKJ never happened or was reversed earlier, the next logical step is to go from Batgirl to Batwoman (like Shayera did to Hawkwoman). She'd remain a distaff counterpart to Batman like she did originally, it doesn't have to be a legacy title and she wouldn't be any more of a "dead end" than Bruce is as Batman, because he's not going anywhere.

But the opportunity came and went, mostly because Batgirl fell out of favor for a bit in the 80s and she got shot before BTAS happened to boost her profile again.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    No. Tim should find an identity and not piggy back off his more successful Bros. He is bestest afterall so why should he piggy back off those losers.

Not to mention that smushing Red Hood and Nightwing together like they are linked is the worst idea

Fantastic Member Spencermalley935's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Coco Loco View Post
    Co-sign. The modern insistence on Alfred being Bruce's "father" does not sit right with me. If Alfred was a good father, Bruce would be better-adjusted. At minimum, an attentive father would have gotten Bruce into therapy and/or helped him come to terms with his parents' death.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coco Loco View Post

Not sure whether this is actually unpopular, but having a madcap character like Harley Quinn running around so prominently kind of breaks Batman's world, and devolves it into self-parody.
    That's kind of the point there, man. Alfred was forced into a role he wasn't prepared for but he also ensured that Bruce at least grew up with something of a moral compass for when he inevitably became Batman. If Alfred doesn't encounter Bruce until he's a grown man than who's gonna serve as his legal guardian when he's still a kid?

Quote Originally Posted by Spencermalley935 View Post
    [B]

That's kind of the point there, man. Alfred was forced into a role he wasn't prepared for but he also ensured that Bruce at least grew up with something of a moral compass for when he inevitably became Batman. If Alfred doesn't encounter Bruce until he's a grown man than who's gonna serve as his legal guardian when he's still a kid?
    Earth 1 Bruce's guardian was his uncle Phillip, who I don't recall ever seeing. I get the impression he dumped Bruce in a boarding school and rarely visited. Alfred as his guardian was a big change, but it's one that seems to have stuck.
    It's a good point that Bruce being so messed up does make Alfred look somewhat negligent.
    The Gotham series showed Alfred as a loving guardian, but he still maintained a role as a servant which gave young Bruce a lot of autonomy.

It's a good point that Bruce being so messed up does make Alfred look somewhat negligent.
    It also makes Bruce look like an even bigger dick than usual, when he's bossing around the guy that raised him.