Page 196 of 267 FirstFirst ... 96146186192193194195196197198199200206246 ... LastLast
Results 2,926 to 2,940 of 3996

His Joker makes you wish they will allow Kevin to flex his acting muscles more instead of constantly voicing 'the big scary guy'.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I remember with The Batman where it seemed like all the main Rogues got turned into martial arts masters, with probably the most egregious examples being Joker and Penguin.

I only really see that cited when it comes to how Cass struggled with The Joker because she couldn't read his body movement at all so she didn't know what to do.
    I remember all the complaints about that. I didn't mind martial arts Joker because it felt in character for him to have a style was wild, unpredictable, monkey style to it. Penguin leaping 30 ft into the air is another matter though but I didn't hate it.

I'm just slightly disappointed that with all the martial arts it didn't occur to them to introduce Lady Shiva, Richard Dragon, Cass Cain, David Cain, Bronze Tiger and other marital arts characters.

Astonishing Member WonderLight789's Avatar

batman stopped being an interesting character a long time ago. Since now he is this emo-isolated man that tends to act like a morron to everybody. And can go from struggling with bane. To trading blows with Darkseid and finding a plan to stop Jesus Christ in 3 seconds if the plot needs it.

I liked the Batpack from TT Academy and hope they pop up in the batbooks at some point.

The Batman's use of a high-tech cellphone that's hacked into police scanners should replace the Bat-signal.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    The Batman's use of a high-tech cellphone that's hacked into police scanners should replace the Bat-signal.
    I kind of like that, but I think it might be even cooler if they make some particular bat-symbol a “summoning spell” for Batman - like people in Gotham figure out that if a camera or computer somewhere sees a particular type fo Bat-symbol, it’ll somehow end up getting around to Batman. So people who need his help or want to talk to him use it in dramatic ways.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

May not be controversial but the Batfam is WAY TO BIG nowadays. It almost feels diluted to a degree.

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    May not be controversial but the Batfam is WAY TO BIG nowadays. It almost feels diluted to a degree.
    There are too many members and almost none of them are even working with Bruce right now. Instead he's working together with Harley and Ghostmaker for some reason. The batfamily doesn't feel like a family anymore.

Incredible Member

I would like a Batman without relying so much on the armor, the gadgets, the amazing algorithm. The Batman
    who was smart, had a tremendous knowledge of martial arts, but lived by his wits and cunning. That is the
    character people fell in love with at the beginning. The Hollywoodization of Batman has been a serious problem.

But this all runs in stages, a more sleeker Batman will probably return in time. Some people probably like the
    Batman as a human tank.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

This is why I just prefer Dick and Babs as the Bat-Family. Bruce completely on his own forever would get stale, but a too big Bat-family runs into this problem.

Not that they can't be good characters or have worth for themselves that attract fans, it's just that it throws off my personal preference for Bruce's setup.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    This is why I just prefer Dick and Babs as the Bat-Family. Bruce completely on his own forever would get stale, but a too big Bat-family runs into this problem.

Not that they can't be good characters or have worth for themselves that attract fans, it's just that it throws off my personal preference for Bruce's setup.
    I suppose my counterpoint controversial opinion would be that if someone wanted to limit the Batfamily to three members… Dick as Robin and Babs as Batgirl is one of the more limiting and blander options you could pursue. Those two characters really only achieved their maximum appeal as Nightwing and as Oracle (or, as an Oracle/Batgirl hybrid), and even then, if limiting it to three characters was the rule… then honesty, Damian and Cass would be the better options. I am blatantly biased towards Cass, I know that, but that’s because I think she has the most interesting elements for a limited Bat-family, and I’m actually a Tim Drake fan first among the Robin who prefers Jason and Dick to Damian, but Damian offers more interesting dynamics and selling points in a limited story.

Dick and Babs are at their best when they can coexist with multiple successors and allies; as sidekicks, they’re actually kind of bland, while allowing them to be mentors and lieutenants works much better.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Extraordinary Member

And I feel that a lot of the newer members are kind of "infringing" on the niches of already established ones.

- Strix was pretty much a Cassandra Cain copy
    - Talon a former circus performer with a connection to Court of Owl, isn't that a little bit similar to Dick
    - Luke Fox, a tech genius from a wealthy background that has somehow to balance being a Superhero with his family life, that is kind of what Tim was pre identity crisis
    - Duke Thomas, teen genius/detective with parents that were harmed by a supervillain, similar to Tim back when his father was in coma
    - Bao Pham, troubled teen running around killing criminals, espacally the Joker, that's kind of Jason's thing
    - Ghosthunter, ally/friend of Bruce with a pretty wanky moral code and a "Space Ship", that's kind of Jason's thing (Ok they never really allowed Jason to use any of the tech from his own book in Batman stories ...)

I kind of feel the Batfamily would be in a much better place when they would use the established characters more, instead of creating new characters that fill similar roles.

And there are way to many characters who where killed or crippled by the Joker, had him kill or cripple their parents or both.

Batman burning a giant pile of money was one of the biggest tone deaf moments in the character's history. Even if it's dirty trafficking money a BILLIONAIRE should not be doing that.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    And I feel that a lot of the newer members are kind of "infringing" on the niches of already established ones.

- Strix was pretty much a Cassandra Cain copy
    - Talon a former circus performer with a connection to Court of Owl, isn't that a little bit similar to Dick
    - Luke Fox, a tech genius from a wealthy background that has somehow to balance being a Superhero with his family life, that is kind of what Tim was pre identity crisis
    - Duke Thomas, teen genius/detective with parents that were harmed by a supervillain, similar to Tim back when his father was in coma
    - Bao Pham, troubled teen running around killing criminals, espacally the Joker, that's kind of Jason's thing
    - Ghosthunter, ally/friend of Bruce with a pretty wanky moral code and a "Space Ship", that's kind of Jason's thing (Ok they never really allowed Jason to use any of the tech from his own book in Batman stories ...)

I kind of feel the Batfamily would be in a much better place when they would use the established characters more, instead of creating new characters that fill similar roles.

And there are way to many characters who where killed or crippled by the Joker, had him kill or cripple their parents or both.
    Some of those they can do because the former characters don't do it anymore.
    Tim's lost his family, so he doesn't have that status quo anymore, so now it's Luke's
    Jason no longer kills, he's not interested in Joker anymore unless Joker starts ****, so Bao Pham now fills that role.
    Adding my own, Harley's anti-hero-ing so Punchline's now The Joker's Girlfriend.

Strix is a special case since they couldn't use Cass Cain back then, but now that she's back no one uses Strix.

I say Ghost-Maker still has a unique position because all of Bruce's best friends turn villains. So he's like a good Hush or Dent. He's just... kinda... unexplainably annoying...

Calvin Rose is the one I'm genuinely confused. It's like they realize they can't really tie down Nightwing to The Court since he's much bigger than that niche so they make up a new character to fill it, the niche being "what if Nightwing is Talon"... and then he disappears too. Good job.
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 08-09-2021 at 03:43 PM.

Some of those they can do because the former characters don't do it anymore.
    Tim's lost his family, so he doesn't have that status quo anymore, so now it's Luke's
    Jason no longer kills, he's not interested in Joker anymore unless Joker starts ****, so Bao Pham now fills that role.
    Adding my own, Harley's anti-hero-ing so Punchline's now The Joker's Girlfriend.
    To me that sounds like it creates the problem (for Bao Pham and Punchline, anyway), that these new characters either get stuck in a copycat role or they grow beyond it, and then it's time to repeat the character/storyline again. And it crowds an already crowded field no matter what.

I did prefer the days when Tim had a family, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Micael View Post
    Batman burning a giant pile of money was one of the biggest tone deaf moments in the character's history. Even if it's dirty trafficking money a BILLIONAIRE should not be doing that.
    Yeah really give it to charity or something....