Page 214 of 267 FirstFirst ... 114164204210211212213214215216217218224264 ... LastLast
Results 3,196 to 3,210 of 3996
    Incredible Member

That is because Dick Grayson is the template.
    All Robins are stepping into Dick's shoes.
    Even though sadly they have abandoned the pointy green ones.

It isn't these characters fault. But it is pretty much an
    impossible task to replace all that Grayson achieved as the original
    Robin.

I'm glad we're getting more Ivy/Harley, but maybe they need some more redemption.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by dietrich View Post
    Indeed. nothing worse than pointless Robin made redundant by B&R just hanging around taking up space.

I think DC should try changing his hero name/making him younger/update the character to target a marginalised group. That might help give him a point
    I mean, anything with Damien would help at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    I don't know about the copying thing, but all the subsequent Robins are each a "response" to Dick's time in the role in some way. Especially post-Crisis Jason and Damian.
    Agreed.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    I don't know about the copying thing, but all the subsequent Robins are each a "response" to Dick's time in the role in some way. Especially post-Crisis Jason and Damian.

Dick Grayson is Robin. His character, behaviour, values, traits, personality, actions and reactions in the role became what Robin stood for.

The shared understanding That exists today of what Robin is and what the ideal Robin should be is informed by Dick Grayson simply being himself. Literally.

So yep copy.

Dick doesn't really want to be Batman but if Bruce is not around or retires Dick won't allow anyone to pass him over to wear the cowl. I feel like deep down he knows he's the true successor and should always be the first choice so if he's in his prime and available all other character should get back in the line. Of course he will never express this feeling out loud but he knows that if it's not Bruce it's him.

Glorified diamond thief Mr. Freeze from The Batman > Sob story one-trick pony Mr. Freeze from B:TAS.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Glorified diamond thief Mr. Freeze from The Batman > Sob story one-trick pony Mr. Freeze from B:TAS.
    I mean, I like Clancy Brown...

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    I have to agree B:TAS only works as a one-and-done to keep him in the "sympathetic villain" role. And I strongly disagree with the notion of him turning hero. He didn't turn villain to save his wife - he turned villain to to get revenge on those (he thought) killed her.

Extraordinary Member

I mean, IMHO, they should just stop doing Mr. Freeze stories in general. They are literally never going to top TAS version and any attempt will simply fail miserably. The only possible exception being a live action adaptation. While some people may see that more as a hindrance than a help, I personally think it's worth it for a story of that caliber who's never had a single memorable story prior to that.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    I have to agree B:TAS only works as a one-and-done to keep him in the "sympathetic villain" role. And I strongly disagree with the notion of him turning hero. He didn't turn villain to save his wife - he turned villain to to get revenge on those (he thought) killed her.
    Yep, recent years I've soured big time on a lot of the "sympathetic" "please pity me" stories of a lot of the Bat-rogues. Harley and her body count will be always be the worst offender of the lot but Freeze's act has gotten tiresome also.

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    Has anyone ever wanted to see him turned into a hero?
    Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    I mean, IMHO, they should just stop doing Mr. Freeze stories in general. They are literally never going to top TAS version and any attempt will simply fail miserably. The only possible exception being a live action adaptation. While some people may see that more as a hindrance than a help, I personally think it's worth it for a story of that caliber who's never had a single memorable story prior to that.
    I think Arkham and HQ Freeze worked out pretty well (although those both had pretty finite endings).

Gotham kind of wasted him by killing Nora off instead of freezing her so he just became a generic goon who freezes stuff.

I think there is a certain mileage you can get out of the character but I think a villain stands out more with a little bit of pathos than just relying solely on a visual gimmick/power. Of course his stoic and cold personality also helps.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRay View Post
    I'm glad we're getting more Ivy/Harley, but maybe they need some more redemption.
    Eh. I think they're both good where they are right now. Especially Harley. I like the idea that Ivy isn't a straight up villain anymore but I don't think I want her to be a hero either.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue22 View Post
    Eh. I think they're both good where they are right now. Especially Harley. I like the idea that Ivy isn't a straight up villain anymore but I don't think I want her to be a hero either.
    Non-villain Ivy just seems kind of dull to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Non-villain Ivy just seems kind of dull to me.
    I like her going from a villain to someone who just wants to be left alone, but keeps getting dragged into either Batman's bullshit or Harley's. Reformed (or partially reformed) villains always interest me. It's not something I'd want for all of them, of course. But I like the ones that they have picked to go down that road. Especially Harley, Ivy, and Clayface.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue22 View Post
    I like her going from a villain to someone who just wants to be left alone, but keeps getting dragged into either Batman's bullshit or Harley's. Reformed (or partially reformed) villains always interest me. It's not something I'd want for all of them, of course. But I like the ones that they have picked to go down that road. Especially Harley, Ivy, and Clayface.
    At times I honestly feel like Ivy could do so much better than Harley. Even in the HQ she comes off as so much more competent and actually effective and yet she has to get stuck dealing with Harley's @#$% half-the-time .

Completely different topic but the recent DC Super Hero Girls episode and a DC Super Friends short kind of makes me want to see Hal Jordan and Poison Ivy become a thing...