Page 219 of 267 FirstFirst ... 119169209215216217218219220221222223229 ... LastLast
Results 3,271 to 3,285 of 3996

Quote Originally Posted by TheRay View Post
    If characters move on from Batman, then I'd like to see them be capable of doing almost everything he is.
    that's kinda how it is with Teen Titans/Young Justice and Birds of Prey.

Eye-rolling bajuszbetyár The Invincible Beawulf's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    the Magistrate Era is the most refreshing and cohesive the Batman/Gotham line has been in years.
    I agree with you

And I like the new characters Tynion has introduced in his Batman run.
    BL and comics fan. 🌈 ----- For those saying BL is "pandering to fujos! Too girly! It's fetishization!!!" --> https://www.fujoshi.info/ (a website with academic resources on Queer Media Studies in Asia and LGBTQIA+ history)

The queer body has been used as a battleground, has been criminalized, ostracized, and many times erased from their own histories. -- Alesha Byrne (University of San Francisco)

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Devil View Post
    What Batfmaily members would you all choose to take a hiatus or do something else to lower the number of current active members? I would start by dropping Tim and Stephanie.
    honestly I'd just dissolve the Batfamily as an institution, relegate Batman to Gotham and set everyone free into the DC universe, if we're looking to reduce numbers. none of the characters are really in a place where it's fair to shelf them. even Tim (tho he'd be the first one I'd pull tbh).
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

honestly I'd just dissolve the Batfamily as an institution, relegate Batman to Gotham and set everyone free into the DC universe, if we're looking to reduce numbers. none of the characters are really in a place where it's fair to shelf them. even Tim (tho he'd be the first one I'd pull tbh).
    No Man's Land 2.0.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Devil View Post
    What Batfmaily members would you all choose to take a hiatus or do something else to lower the number of current active members? I would start by dropping Tim and Stephanie.
    I think that you could keep all Robins, Batgirls and Catwoman arround.
    I think that is still a manageable number, since a good number of them can support their own book, it they just don't need to put all of them in each event.

And put all the non core members on hiatus.

When I would have to put more on hiatus, I think I would drop Tim, Steph and Cass, since it really feels like no one at DC seems to have anything new and interesting ideas for these characters.

Batman's most meaningful relationship will always be Alfred.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

I think that's just an issue of a string of bad writers from Snyder to Tynion who seem to think it's cool and edgy that nobody "gets" Batman and that it's better when Bruce is alone.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    I think that's just an issue of a string of bad writers from Snyder to Tynion who seem to think it's cool and edgy that nobody "gets" Batman and that it's better when Bruce is alone.
    this is revisionist history, especially in regards to Snyder.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

this is revisionist history, especially in regards to Snyder.
    It's not, there hasn't been a really great writer since Morrison left. Snyder had good ideas but not an editor to rein in the excesses, was never good at writing the supporting characters so he would either just ignore them or attempt to kill them off and his endings always fell flat. The less said about King's run the better and Tynion hasn't been much of an improvement.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

I just disagree. But then, I don't like the retconning Alfred into the parent role. So while I will say he has the most meaningful relationship most recently, I really don't like it that way, don't want it to stay that way, liked it better before it was that way, and think it being that way ties in with all the emotional unhealthiness of modern Batman that I do not like. But it makes DC bags of money, so they are going to stick with it until it doesn't.

Incredible Member

I prefer both Stephanie and Cassandra to Barbara.

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    I just disagree. But then, I don't like the retconning Alfred into the parent role. So while I will say he has the most meaningful relationship most recently, I really don't like it that way, don't want it to stay that way, liked it better before it was that way, and think it being that way ties in with all the emotional unhealthiness of modern Batman that I do not like. But it makes DC bags of money, so they are going to stick with it until it doesn't.
    Agreed.

Alfred as a parent NEVER worked. May have looked good on paper, but in reality... it's trash. Batman's whole concept is that he was orphan rebelling against the system... doesn't work if he HAD a loving father figure. Batman raising orphan Robins 'To give them something I didn't have, or stop them from becoming me' doesn't work if he had father figure raising him. The idea of him dedicating himself to become a vigilante and the angst and misery that people seem to like Batman having... means that Alfred was a TERRIBLE father figure. Not even to mention that he still cooks for him and cleans up after him in 30's-40's... and calls him 'master'....

Most of all... Alfred was a retcon. He didn't exist till after Dick Grayson was around... and wasn't retconned as the father figure till after Crisis... So making him 'the most meaningful' just doesn't work.

If anything his 'most meaningful' relationship should be either Robin or more likely Commissioner Gordon. He was there from issue 1, and his friendship has basically kept him on 'This side of the line'. It would have been easy for him to go full vigilante murderer... but his connection with the police always kept him 'heroic'.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

I don't mind Alfred as a father figure, but for Bruce to be the way he is, Alfred has to be a lousy father, which he should be, since he didn't sign up for this, he's just a butler, and he neglected his actual daughter, (or even if he wasn't... there wasn't much a butler can do, he's not a psychiatrist) but the problem is, they want him to be this good, venerated father and it's just... doesn't work with the rest of the lore.

It works if it's Alfred from Bruce's point of view, who came to appreciate him more as he grows older... but not objectively. He should be awkward with him the first time.
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 11-10-2021 at 05:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    But then, I don't like the retconning Alfred into the parent role.
    Yeah, I'm going to need you to give some context here. Like what, you're saying he's only good as some emotionally distant butler?

Yeah, I'm going to need you to give some context here. Like what, you're saying he's only good as some emotionally distant butler?
    If Alfred didn't come on to the scene until after Bruce became Batman, then he couldn't have acted in the "father role" in terms of raising young Bruce as a boy.

HOWEVER, he doesn't have to be "some emotionally distant butler" either because shortly after entering the lives of Bruce and Dick, he stumbled upon their secret identities and thus became a helper in their battle against crime.