Page 23 of 267 FirstFirst ... 131920212223242526273373123 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

@Vanguard-01.

I confess the only real exposure I have to DCU vampires is Alan Moore's Swamp Thing run, where they seemed like soulless abominations. But then I, Vampyre kind of screws that up.

DC really needs to sort out the ground rules for that. Of course, outside of Angel, I'm not wild about vampire redemption stories. I like them to actually be evil and scary, so reforming vampires doesn't really appeal to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Replace vampires with Arkham Rogues and the argument wouldn't be any different.
    Except no, because they're still human and protected by the law, and if Batman started putting stakes in their hearts Gordon wouldn't look the other way for him anymore and would be determined to throw him in Arkham himself.

I'm not really getting your stance here. You seem to have a problem with Batman taking the law into his own hands, but you also want him to just start killing criminals, some of whom are genuinely mentally ill? Or taking them away from the law and throwing them into a more secure facility of his own making or something? Because that sounds way worse than what he does already.

BANNED

So what if he kills vampires? He can kill as many as he wants, witches too. Burn through the witches and slam them in the back of his Batmobile!

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    @Vanguard-01.

I confess the only real exposure I have to DCU vampires is Alan Moore's Swamp Thing run, where they seemed like soulless abominations. But then I, Vampyre kind of screws that up.

DC really needs to sort out the ground rules for that. Of course, outside of Angel, I'm not wild about vampire redemption stories. I like them to actually be evil and scary, so reforming vampires doesn't really appeal to me.
    Oh, same here, for the most part. I like Angel because he was literally a "one in a million" kind of scenario. But I'm not a fan of vampires who can just "decide" not to feed on people and basically keep their human lives as if nothing changed.

Personally, I'm a big fan of the Vampire: The Masquerade, and Vampire: The Requiem tabletop role playing games. In those games, all vampires have a "beast" that lives inside them. The Beast is this animalistic force that is basically the id run amok. In the games, your choices determine your moral capability. If you give in to your Beast and do horrible, monstrous things? You will become a horrible, monstrous vampire. If you fight the Beast and try to force yourself to live a more moral life? You retain a lot of your humanity.........but the Beast is still always there, waiting for it's chance to push you into doing something horrible.

Quote Originally Posted by Atlanta96 View Post
    So what if he kills vampires? He can kill as many as he wants, witches too. Burn through the witches and slam them in the back of his Batmobile!
    Ahem!

Zatanna_Zatara_(Injustice_The_Regime)_003.jpg

Last edited by Vanguard-01; 01-03-2017 at 10:30 AM.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    But they still exist, and criminals are still sent there, as one would expect.
    When criminals can get out of prison whenever they feel like, then they are not in any way at all bound by human laws.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    This reminds me that I'd be down for seeing them give a real shot at a Batman/Zatanna romance in the comics or other media.

I doubt it would work long-term anymore then Zee and Constantine do, but I'd like to see it explored (and it would probably mean more Zatanna appearances, which would be awesome).

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    This reminds me that I'd be down for seeing them give a real shot at a Batman/Zatanna romance in the comics or other media.

I doubt it would work long-term anymore then Zee and Constantine do, but I'd like to see it explored (and it would probably mean more Zatanna appearances, which would be awesome).
    Yeah, I doubt it would last long, like ALL of Batman's romances. As long as Batman as a tortured soul, LIVING his PTSD 24/7 is the Batman that sells comics, I just don't see how ANY romance of his can last long. Heck, a bright and positive woman like Zee would probably be driven away once she got a real look at how deep his pain (and his need for it) goes.

Besides isn't Zee like the closest thing Bruce has to a sister? It would be pretty weird for the both of them. Although, that hasn't stopped Barry and Iris on the CW!
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    Yeah, I doubt it would last long, like ALL of Batman's romances. As long as Batman as a tortured soul, LIVING his PTSD 24/7 is the Batman that sells comics, I just don't see how ANY romance of his can last long. Heck, a bright and positive woman like Zee would probably be driven away once she got a real look at how deep his pain (and his need for it) goes.

Besides isn't Zee like the closest thing Bruce has to a sister? It would be pretty weird for the both of them. Although, that hasn't stopped Barry and Iris on the CW!
    Kate Kane is probably the closest thing Bruce has to a sister right now.

Depending on the continuity, they know each other as kids or in their youth but not to the degree where you would expect them to have a deep sibling dynamic (especially considering the romantic feelings involved during those periods).

I think it would be fun to see explored if a writer was willing to try it and see how it works, maybe in a more lighter period in Bruce's life. It might have shades of Bruce's dynamic with Catwoman, only he doesn't have to worry about what side of the law Zatanna is on, but maybe with a little more...razzle dazzle involved.

Though I think Paul Dini is the only one who'd be willing to write it .

@Vanguard-01.

Except no, because they're still human and protected by the law, and if Batman started putting stakes in their hearts Gordon wouldn't look the other way for him anymore and would be determined to throw him in Arkham himself.

I'm not really getting your stance here. You seem to have a problem with Batman taking the law into his own hands, but you also want him to just start killing criminals, some of whom are genuinely mentally ill? Or taking them away from the law and throwing them into a more secure facility of his own making or something? Because that sounds way worse than what he does already.
    I doubt they'd have an issue with it. The only time people turn on superheroes is when they've been thought to have killed innocent or as is the case in What's So Funny when they don't use lethal force on criminals who should have gotten the chair anyway.

Please like any of these guys is anything resembling a genuine depiction of mental illness.

I want him to act with some goddamb consistency. I want him to stop prattling on about the value of life while tossing frag grenades and knives everywhere, packing his vehicles with more heat than Texas Tailgate, and only applying his one rule to non human enemies all because writers have s hard on for Joker dialogues the size of the Washington Monument.

BANNED

@Vanguard-01.

I, Vampire predates Alan Moore on Swamp Thing by a year.

Well I don't know how controversial this is but I don't think there should be a Batgirl. It should be Batman and Robin with Nightwing over in Bludhaven and able to pop back if need be.
    I think Batgirl seems too much like a marketing niche being filled. I'd be happy with Robin being female but the mantle of Batgirl seems too much like the (to paraphrase Dr Evil) Diet Coke version of Batman.
    I'd much rather see a female hero who doesn't rely on the reflected glory of the Bat mantle (haven't read Mother Panic yet but heard it's pretty good).
    None of this is to say that writers haven't done a good job with the character in the past but going forward I'd rather see things move in a different direction.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesC View Post
    I'd much rather see a female hero who doesn't rely on the reflected glory of the Bat mantle (haven't read Mother Panic yet but heard it's pretty good).
    Mother Panic is a good series and I'd recommend it, but she's not a hero. Not right now, anyway.
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Team Cap (both Rogers and Danvers)

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    I doubt they'd have an issue with it. The only time people turn on superheroes is when they've been thought to have killed innocent or as is the case in What's So Funny when they don't use lethal force on criminals who should have gotten the chair anyway.

Please like any of these guys is anything resembling a genuine depiction of mental illness.

I want him to act with some goddamb consistency. I want him to stop prattling on about the value of life while tossing frag grenades and knives everywhere, packing his vehicles with more heat than Texas Tailgate, and only applying his one rule to non human enemies all because writers have s hard on for Joker dialogues the size of the Washington Monument.
    They would totally have an issue with it. Every time the GCPD believes Batman finally snapped and started killing people they start gunning for him pretty hard until he clears his name.

The majority outside of Harvey and Wesker don't, but there have been in-universe explanations such as the corrupt lawyers twisting the legal system to get the rogues into the more lax Arkham Asylum regardless of whether they should be there or not. The idea of a story to depict actual mentally ill people being placed in the same facility as these remorseless killers has some potential

He kind of has been acting with consistency, at least of late. With DC going through yet another continuity shake up with Rebirth, who knows if those previous instances are even canon anymore? Their reception by fans and other writers were pretty dubious anyway so that's why they get swept under the rug, because nobody wants to pay money to dwell on it. People are letting Jason off the hook for gunning down two hospital security guards in Morrison's run for the same reason.

Outside of BvS, has the Batmobile actually had that much fire power and have we actually seen Batman using it to kill people? How often does he encounter non-human enemies in his title?

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    I, Vampire predates Alan Moore on Swamp Thing by a year.
    I should have worded it better: I meant I, Vampyre messes up my assumption that vampires in the DCU are soulless, not anything to do with either work themselves. It would be nice if DC picked a depiction of vampires and stuck with it.

BANNED

I should have worded it better: I meant I, Vampyre messes up my assumption that vampires in the DCU are soulless, not anything to do with either work themselves. It would be nice if DC picked a depiction of vampires and stuck with it.
    I think they're fairly consistant in that no DCU vampire is soulles, but that most of them are evil.

Batman should lock up Bat-Mite in Arkham Asylum because hes a threat to reality...lol

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    He murdered the KGBeast with premeditation.
    Russians from the 80s weren't really people. Just dirty commies!

*cough*