Page 238 of 267 FirstFirst ... 138188228234235236237238239240241242248 ... LastLast
Results 3,556 to 3,570 of 3996
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Pretty much New 52 and the desire for everyone to NOT have private lives took out a lot of supporting casts for many. Especially the Tim Drake generation.
    I always felt the New 52 treatment of Tim’s parents was arguably the worst , since they’d been resurrected but were just as absent as if they’d been dead, with Tim still being a control freak type of character. What’s the point of bringing them back if you’re keeping the RR characterization for him so much that they don’t matter? That’s just removing what pathos and motivation there was to justify that characterization. If they’re back, they should be part of his story and his mental health should be as expected. Of his mental health is portrayed as worn down and flawed and they’re not interacting with him, then they should probably stay dead.

Now, I think the Witness Protection Agency idea has some merit, but I still think you’d want to make it and the pressure it puts on Tim a constant presence, and have him constantly sneaking off to see them.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    Agreed. Personally I'm sick of having the characters be ashamed of any of their tropes. The characters are doing their best and proud of all their choices. I hate when I see a Robin make excuses for his pixie shoes or disco costume or characters embarassed by the trunks they wore.

They loved their costumes. THey loved their history. They're proud of everything that was involved in their past. Nobody made them wear those costumes. They weren't drunk when they designed them... They thought they looked damn good and anyone who doesn't like it... well, screw them.

Way too much meta commentary as time goes on with the authors and the 'fans' inserting their own opinions in the mouths of the characters.

I also maintain that as a character Concept Robin just works. He didn't recruit 'child soldiers', He prevented future super-villains. Those kids were all trapped in cycles of bitterness and revenge or living on the streets doing crime already. He taught them the RIGHT way to get their revenge... and they've mostly all grown into solid heroes who've saved the world a dozen times over.

Nothing to be ashamed of there. MORE heroes should be training young heroes when you look at the Robin track record.

How many times has Robin been killed? Robin has a shit track record and Bruce has a poor track record with young people he recruits.

So far only one Robin has been successful. Dick Grayson. He is the sole success. Damian could be considered a success but he is still a work on progress and he started out as a killer.

Tim was a failure [ privileged kid with a bright future - insecure directionless orphan and a future fascist killer vigilante] That is a fail

jason was a failure [street Rat who was chugging along - time with Batman resulted in his brutal death and he returned a tortured killer with Bruce issues] that is a failure

Steph was a failure [solo hero becomes Robin and then she dies]

Duke is a success but he isn't a Robin[he was trained by Bruce to be something else. Something not Robin]

Why are people on here so forgetful or are we just fudging the facts to reflect whatever we want?

Bruce didn't recruit child soldiers but he is using children as soldiers. They are fighting and bleeding in his war.

Bruce didn't prevent future supervillains via Robin unless you are talking about Damian. He is the only Robin that was on track to become a supervillain but has since become a hero.

however that one win is counter by

1 future supervillain [Tim Drake]
    One current villain [Jason Todd]
    Last edited by Gaelforce; 03-01-2022 at 05:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    Impossible to know, and honestly it would depend on the writer. However at his core, His parents were always off on globe trotting adventures leaving their son behind who was entirely too smart and clever for his age.

He had friends and a social life sure... but if Bruce was never involved with his life... than Batman wouldn't have been investigating Tim's parents kidnapping and been able to save at least ONE of his parents.

So yeah, Smart kid who's parents kind of neglected him until they were kidnapped and murdered in a foreign country.... Supervillain origins have had less than that. Not even counting that he's in Gotham. Two things we know about Gotham. 1) You'll probably earn some kind of doctorate... and 2) Odds are REALLY high of becoming a criminal :P

Tim was a pretty proactive kid, figuring out Bruces' identity and taking on himself to 'fix' Bruce and Dick's relationship... If he hadn't become Robin and his parents were killed and he got their fortune and time on his hands without his Robin activities focusing him... Things could have gotten ugly.

On a separate note... I'm never sure what happened to his supporting cast and all his high school friends and girlfriends. They just kind of disappeared when Spoiler showed up and they started focusing more on Robin and less on Tim... Did I hear they died during the Contagion Plague? If so that would be another strike against him without Batman to focus him... All that crap was still happening to him whetehr he was Robin or not.
    That or he could have become a human rights advocate using his parents fortunes to improve the lives of people on gotham]

Funding better prisons with the focus on Rehabilitation not punishment [like the ones in some parts of Europe]

Used his inheritance to fund organisations that safeguard tourists overseas.

like you said Tim was a smart kid and before batman he didn't know how to punch good forcing him to use his brain muscles.

He could have just as easily become a humanitarian.

Controversial? a lot of Bat-characters will never be used as main characters and will always be supporting since they're, well... just not that interesting?

Amazing Member

Most of the Live Action Batman and Joker are not comic accurate but that not prevent them in being good
    the most accurate comic Batman and Joker is Ben Affleck and Jack Nicholson Joker

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    Controversial? a lot of Bat-characters will never be used as main characters and will always be supporting since they're, well... just not that interesting?
    Kinda, yeah, even if some people find a character interesting, other people don't find them interesting, and the number of interested buyers are not high enough to support a series

Amazing Member

All the different Universes and Elseworlds from comics tv shows and movies are valid there is not a definitive Batman
    Batman could be operating in 1940s, today age or in distant future and is still be Batman

Quote Originally Posted by JediBatman54 View Post
    All the different Universes and Elseworlds from comics tv shows and movies are valid there is not a definitive Batman
    Batman could be operating in 1940s, today age or in distant future and is still be Batman
    I'd love to see DC put out a Batman comic book set in 1939/1940 before Robin (Dick) enters, but I know that is unlikely to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by dietrich View Post
    How many times has Robin been killed? Robin has a shit track record and Bruce has a poor track record with young people he recruits.

So far only one Robin has been successful. Dick Grayson. He is the sole success. Damian could be considered a success but he is still a work on progress and he started out as a killer.

Tim was a failure [ privileged kid with a bright future - insecure directionless orphan and a future fascist killer vigilante] That is a fail

jason was a failure [street Rat who was chugging along - time with Batman resulted in his brutal death and he returned a tortured killer with Bruce issues] that is a failure

Steph was a failure [solo hero becomes Robin and then she dies]

Duke is a success but he isn't a Robin[he was trained by Bruce to be something else. Something not Robin]

Why are people on here so forgetful or are we just fudging the facts to reflect whatever we want?

Bruce didn't recruit child soldiers but he is using children as soldiers. They are fighting and bleeding in his war.

Bruce didn't prevent future supervillains via Robin unless you are talking about Damian. He is the only Robin that was on track to become a supervillain but has since become a hero.

however that one win is counter by

1 future supervillain [Tim Drake]
    One current villain [Jason Todd]
    Using the fact that there is a potential future where Tim becomes a villain againt him is disingenuous. It would be like using that bad future in Rebirth Titans against Dick.

Also, Robin's only been killed twice and Steph was a vigilante on her own. She wasn't recruited to become Spoiler by Bruce and was actually pretty effective without him.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 03-03-2022 at 09:30 PM.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    I'd love to see DC put out a Batman comic book set in 1939/1940 before Robin (Dick) enters, but I know that is unlikely to happen.
    I'm still not sure what's happening with that Linear-verse or whatever it was.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Here's a couple of controversial opinions here.

1. I don't want Robin showing up in The Batman sequels. Save the Batfamily for the DCEU and Keaton's Batman.

2. I love the Burnside costume for Barbara and hope she keeps it for the whole first Batgirl movie.

What's the appeal of burnside it seems very bright for a family all about staying in the dark

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    What's the appeal of burnside it seems very bright for a family all about staying in the dark
    Robin doesn't wear dark colors either, but people love it too.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Also, Robin's only been killed twice
    I mean, some would argue just the once was bad enough...

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Robin doesn't wear dark colors either, but people love it too.
    I would clarify that by saying Damian's Robin does tend to wear darker colors, and even the earliest Robin outfits Dick wore as Robin have turned much darker in revised continuity.

But originally, Dick (and Jason) as Robin did favor brighter colors, bare legs, and pixie boots!