Page 240 of 267 FirstFirst ... 140190230236237238239240241242243244250 ... LastLast
Results 3,586 to 3,600 of 3996

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Oh just to clear my point, when I said I couldn't accept it as something that happened in the last 50 years+, I wasn't talking about actual comics history but the modern sliding scale continuity. As in I can't see a Dick Grayson Robin OG costume be in continuity when in continuity Dick isn't some elderly 70+ year old man. Like if the sliding time scale has him as Robin roughly 15-20 years ago, then bare legs and pixie boots make no sense. They are just too clearly tied to a long ago bygone era. At least to me.

That was a fun issue . . .

I think Vakanai is kinda right about Dick's bare legs / sheer leggings. Let's say Dick Grayson is thirty-five years old in 2022. That's... older than I think most people think he is, but I'm being generous.

So that means he became Robin like, twenty-three years ago. Which would mean that a twelve year old Dick Grayson in the Year of our Lord nineteen-ninety-nine thought, "Yeah, I want to wear an outfit that shows off my bare legs!" Maybe the circus background makes that more likely, but I certainly can't see Jason Todd choosing that same outfit.

Heck, I'm not sure I can see Jason choosing that same outfit in the Year of our Lord nineteen-eighty-three, either.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post

That was a fun issue . . .
    Yeah, Dick looks like he's coming right out of the 1940s/50s as a spectre of Christmas past to attack Tim in that cover. Honestly, seeing it now, even Tim's old costume looks kind of dated to me, but still nowhere near as dated as Dick's.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adekis View Post
    I think Vakanai is kinda right about Dick's bare legs / sheer leggings. Let's say Dick Grayson is thirty-five years old in 2022. That's... older than I think most people think he is, but I'm being generous.

So that means he became Robin like, twenty-three years ago. Which would mean that a twelve year old Dick Grayson in the Year of our Lord nineteen-ninety-nine thought, "Yeah, I want to wear an outfit that shows off my bare legs!" Maybe the circus background makes that more likely, but I certainly can't see Jason Todd choosing that same outfit.

Heck, I'm not sure I can see Jason choosing that same outfit in the Year of our Lord nineteen-eighty-three, either.
    Impressive display of basic math! And that's not a jab, I'm really just that bad at doing math off the cuff like that.

To be fair, I do know of adult men around 19-25 years old who like to show off their bare legs, but that's not really the same context I think why Dick would want to (I'm kind of bi, I know these things).

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    The classic costume is the only one I accept for Dick.
    Same here. Want to take me completely out of a story? Put Dick in some retconned Robin outfit.

When I saw the preview for Robin & Batman #1, I saw the Robin outfit and said, "No thanks."
    "It's not my Kate." - Greg Rucka

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Twice-named View Post
    Same here. Want to take me completely out of a story? Put Dick in some retconned Robin outfit.

When I saw the preview for Robin & Batman #1, I saw the Robin outfit and said, "No thanks."
    I don't mind it as the costume he first had when he first started, but as soon as he turns 16 I think it should be retconned that he upgraded. That said, I def think it should still be canon. Anything less is just sacrilege.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

[QUOTE=Agent Z;5956783]
    Using the fact that there is a potential future where Tim becomes a villain againt him is disingenuous. It would be like using that bad future in Rebirth Titans against Dick
    But We were talking potentially. Future possibilities not yet actuality.

The argumentation point was the claim/assumption that without Bruce intervening, one or more of the characters who became Robin would have grown up to become a Supervillain.
    Potentially.
    In the future. Possibly

If we limit the scope to actualities. What's has happened in current main universe continuity.

Current Robin Tim was down with working with a fascist and advocated for and actively made plans for a police state Gotham.

Damian another current Robin mind wiped villains and altered their behaviour without consent. .
    Becoming Robin didn't stop either Robin from embracing Ideologies and behaviours that are in line with super villainy not heroics.

Becoming Robin didn't prevent Jason from becoming a villain.
    Also, Robin's only been killed twice
    Robin has been killed 5 times.
    Damian has been killed 4 times. [Inc, RSOB and twice in Williamson's Robin series]

Steph was a vigilante on her own. She wasn't recruited to become Spoiler by Bruce and was actually pretty effective without him
    I know. My comment states she was already a successful solo hero before Bruce made her Robin.
    Last edited by dietrich; 03-10-2022 at 01:50 PM.

I'm not a fan of the OG Robin costume either.

Batman is in Stealthy coloured suit that covers his whole body and blends into the night and Robin is in an overt costume that leaves some parts of his body bare always bothered me.

Robin is the more vulnerable of the duo so he needs the stealthy suit.

as stupid as it might sound in my mind I feel attacks would hurt more if directed at bare skin. It's daft and the smart part of my brain tells me that's not how it works but.....

Even the Pixie boots seem like they'd be a hindrance in their line of work.

Prior to getting into comics I always saw Robin as a super lame joke Character and a big part of the reason was the bloody suit.
    Last edited by dietrich; 03-10-2022 at 02:28 PM.

Gotham doesn’t have enough heroes.

Extraordinary Member

Oops. Sorry. Wrong thread.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

The original Robin suit works when paired with the classic blue and gray Batman costumes, but when you try to say that Batman never had lighter more colorful costumes, it sticks out.

Tomasi should be used more.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRay View Post
    Tomasi should be used more.
    I thought DC let him go?

My favorite relationship in the entire Batman mythos is between Bruce and Zatanna.

It could be interesting to see what would happen if The Commissioner were dead for a year or so, kind of like what’s going on with Alfred.

Mighty Member

The original Robin suit sure worked for Jill St. John!