Page 51 of 267 FirstFirst ... 4147484950515253545561101151 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    The Batfamily is too big. The Batfamily doesn't really need multiple not Robins and not Batgirls that more or less can do many of the same things. DC doesn't even know what to do with a big family. They have repeatedly show this time and time again. They bastardize each other, few actually even compliment Batman anymore, and too many are around just to be around. Answer isn't to just simply jettison members though, sure cutting some of the fat will help, but they also need to find more unique directions and purposes for the members. Which is of course is easier said then done. And they all don't need to be part of the family. Like Jason for instance. Personally i think it would serve him better to be out side the family, not necessarily a opposed, but not on speed dial. Batwoman too i much preferred when she was her own independent thing, and not an agent of Batman.
    Well, to be honest, it's not like the four/five Robins are Robins at the same time. Though I agree they should do their own thing, that's why I like the Outlaws idea for Jason.

BANNED

While it's true that everyone has their favorite characters who they'll defend to the death, it's not selfish to be opposed to a character who's nobody's favorite. Sometimes a character just doesn't catch on. Is there anything wrong with saying they should be disposed of so writers can focus on the ones who actually matter?

Nevermind.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    The Batfamily is too big. The Batfamily doesn't really need multiple not Robins and not Batgirls that more or less can do many of the same things. DC doesn't even know what to do with a big family. They have repeatedly show this time and time again. They bastardize each other, few actually even compliment Batman anymore, and too many are around just to be around.
    Answer isn't to just simply jettison members though, sure cutting some of the fat will help, but they also need to find more unique directions and purposes for the members. Which is of course is easier said then done. And they all don't need to necessarily be part of the family. Like Jason for instance. Personally i think it would serve him better to be out side the family, not necessarily opposed, but not on speed dial or part of the group either. Like I would much rather see Jason tell them to F off in a Bat event then see him come in to be wallpaper. That would strike my interest more then having him just be there to do nothing really. Batwoman too i much preferred when she was her own independent thing, and not an agent of Batman.
    I feel like this isn't so much an unpopular opinion, as an opinion that at least 30% of the fandom holds. At the very least, it comes up every third page or so of this thread.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    I feel like this isn't so much an unpopular opinion, as an opinion that at least 30% of the fandom holds. At the very least, it comes up every third page or so of this thread.
    I'd guess closer to 60%.

I wasn't stating an unpopular opinion but responding to the current discussion about the Batfamliy.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Atlanta96 View Post
    I'd guess closer to 60%.
    That high? I mean...then why do so many Batfamily title sell?
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

While it's true that everyone has their favorite characters who they'll defend to the death, it's not selfish to be opposed to a character who's nobody's favorite. Sometimes a character just doesn't catch on. Is there anything wrong with saying they should be disposed of so writers can focus on the ones who actually matter?
    Every character is someone's favorite.

Having "someone who is better than Robin", when Robin is still here, that what makes Batfamily crowed. It's about them popping out, when there is no need for them; there is no place for them even outside Batbooks, let alone Batfamily books. Big Batfamily, honestly, never made sense to me.

BANNED

Because readers care about the core members of the Family. Nobody bought B&RE for Harper and no one bought Robin War for Duke, is what I'm saying.

Quote Originally Posted by Coal Tiger View Post
    Every character is someone's favorite.
    Isn't it a bit troubling that character is only 1 person's favorite?

Extraordinary Member

Most fans don't agree on which members should go, and the lest popular ones don't lead their own title but are regulars on the books staring Batman.

some characters actually need to be in team books to sell. Spoiler, Azrael and Batwing etc don't really have brand recognition like Nightwing or Red Hood. Batwing is on his way though. But either way TEC gives them the opportunity to be featured with a solid writer and DC doesn't need to risk a solo title tanking after a few months. A team books also allows them to be rotated if necessary and TEC has the added boost because of the mystery of Tim's "death" which will tie into the button story line. Could Stephanie maintain a title by herself in the current climate? No, probably not. DC is not afraid to take risks but they know when a characters warrants a title or a miniseries.

Isn't it a bit troubling that character is only 1 person's favorite?
    I'm not sure what character you're talking about, but the cbr message board is too small a sample size to determine how many fans a character has.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by NightwingIvI View Post
    My ideal Batman family is the size and consistency of Batman: The New Adventures- Batman, Nightwing, a Robin, and a Batgirl. I really don't care how this is achieved, whether Jason is Robin; Jason is dead and Tim is Robin; or Jason is dead, Tim is retired, and Damian is Robin.
    Personally I would be completly satisfied with Bruce as Batman, Dick as Nightwing, barbara as Batgirl and Jason as a (DCAU Tim like) Robin.
    But I think that the Batman franchise can support more charcaters.

I would go for something like this.

Buce and Dick are fine as they are handled at the moment.

Barbara should become again more central in the family and the top female crimfighter in Gotham.

Damain and Tim are imo popular and different enough that they could keep both in a Robin like postion. Tim should imo get a solo at some point, Damian works imo better in a team (he needs somelike Dick or Jon arround or his humor doesn't work).

Jason is fine as Red Hood, eighter in the outlaws and hopefully at some point in a solo, but imo how he is written and handled in the Batfamily events has to change complelty. Him just beeing one of the Robins doesn't really work imo.

I would keep Steph in a supporting role and keep her mostly outside of the big events (she is imo not the right character for stuff like this).

Cass is for me a problematic character since in Batfamily stories she either fades in the background or having her arround goes at the expense of everybody else (thats why I kind of prefer Strix who has a similar characterisation but is not the worlds greatest martial artist).

Helena should stay in Birds of Prey but for the most part out side of the Batfamily.

Not sure what do with Selina, unless she can get a solo again, either put her in Birds of Prey, or let her just pop up from time to time in batman stories.

With Kate's I would wait how succsess full her solo is, and if it doesn't work retire her. And I would stop with this she is the third pillar of the Batfamily stuff.

The others I would send into limbo.

I would just spit some of the up, i'd send Stephanie to bludhaven and have spoiler become nightwing's sidekick. she needs a role and propose and needs someone to play off of and a popular female lead. plus dick, Stephanie and daiman adventureswin.

cass can be with babs, luke with kate, tim i don't know. then cass, steph, luke etc will have more room to grown and roles to feel and dick, babs, kate solo would do better.