Page 52 of 267 FirstFirst ... 24248495051525354555662102152 ... LastLast

I think what the mantle of robin represents is more important than the mantle itself.

I really wouldn't have anything about Harper returning if she was was not written by Tynion. I think writers like Seeley or Orlando could handle her character much better.

Quote Originally Posted by PowerWing View Post
    I would just spit some of the up, i'd send Stephanie to bludhaven and have spoiler become nightwing's sidekick. she needs a role and propose and needs someone to play off of and a popular female lead. plus dick, Stephanie and daiman adventureswin.

cass can be with babs, luke with kate, tim i don't know. then cass, steph, luke etc will have more room to grown and roles to feel and dick, babs, kate solo would do better.
    I would love to see Stephanie in Blüdhaven! Not sure about Cass in the current Batgirl, BoP seems to be a better fit to me though I might be biased because I actually read BoP where as Batgirl has left me disappointed until recently.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Atlanta96 View Post
    Because readers care about the core members of the Family. Nobody bought B&RE for Harper and no one bought Robin War for Duke, is what I'm saying.
    It could be argued that people bought We are Robin for Duke and grew to like other characters and that was able to maintain sale numbers similar to Jason's book and sold better than almost every other almost every other DC You book, which include big names like Black Canary and Cyborg.

This was a book that didn't have any of the core family members. I think it show the power of the Batman brand and why DC likes linking new characters to Batman

I don't mind a big Batfamily as long as they are used well, which I think have gotten better post Rebirth but there still need some minor adjustments. This is why I support more spin off book from the Batfamily line but it should not be heavily dependent on Batman.

One of my suggestion would be a crime fighting buddy adventure series book with Azreal and Batwing that take place outside of Gotham or while their base is in Gotham they travel a lot. I think this would do wonders for both character like the Green Lanterns book have done for Jessica and Baz.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by ZuLuLu View Post
    It could be argued that people bought We are Robin for Duke and grew to like other characters and that was able to maintain sale numbers similar to Jason's book and sold better than almost every other almost every other DC You book, which include big names like Black Canary and Cyborg.
    They made a lot of adds for the book and quite from the beginning it was know that it would lead into the Robin War event. And the sales were quite low in the end.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    They made a lot of adds for the book and quite from the beginning it was know that it would lead into the Robin War event. And the sales were quite low in the end.
    Duke was also the main focus of that advertisement. That said I do think the book would have done better, if it had more main characters like Steph who I think clearly was meant to be one of the characters in the book.

The writing became unfocused at the end, and I also think most of the DC You books were hurt at the end because people knew they were being cancelled and a relaunch was about to happen. Outside of Damian's book every other book began to tank including Jason's. Rehood final issue was about 1600 units and We are Robin was at 1400 units Cyborg was at 1200.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ZuLuLu View Post

This was a book that didn't have any of the core family members. I think it show the power of the Batman brand and why DC likes linking new characters to Batman

I don't mind a big Batfamily as long as they are used well, which I think have gotten better post Rebirth but there still need some minor adjustments. This is why I support more spin off book from the Batfamily line but it should not be heavily dependent on Batman.

One of my suggestion would be a crime fighting buddy adventure series book with Azreal and Batwing that take place outside of Gotham or while their base is in Gotham they travel a lot. I think this would do wonders for both character like the Green Lanterns book have done for Jessica and Baz.
    LOL you're wrong. We Are Robin was a bomb even compared to the other DCYou books.

IMG_9973.jpg

By issue #8 was outsold by Black Canary, Starfire, Martian Manhunter, Batman Beyond with Tim Drake, Cyborg, and Gotham Academy. Even Omega Men was a bigger success when you factor in trade sales. The only reason it didn't do worse was because it was a Robin War tie-in.

Heads up, don't try to use sales figures against me. I've done my homework

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by RedQueen View Post
    some characters actually need to be in team books to sell. Spoiler, Azrael and Batwing etc don't really have brand recognition like Nightwing or Red Hood. Batwing is on his way though. But either way TEC gives them the opportunity to be featured with a solid writer and DC doesn't need to risk a solo title tanking after a few months. A team books also allows them to be rotated if necessary and TEC has the added boost because of the mystery of Tim's "death" which will tie into the button story line. Could Stephanie maintain a title by herself in the current climate? No, probably not. DC is not afraid to take risks but they know when a characters warrants a title or a miniseries.
    I honestly don't think any of the MAJOR Batfam need to be in a team book to sell.

Cass's book lasted 73 issues and Stephanie's 24, and both were cut off by editorial, not because of sales. (Even Steph's book was still selling over 20,000) Yes, they each had the Batgirl mantle to go off of, but with how long and well they were selling, I think it's safe to say people were coming for the characters, not the Brand.

Az's solo book lasted 100 issues. Yeah, sales had tanked to around 13,000 by the end, but that, from what I can tell, was because O'Neil was told the book was getting cancelled, so he had to quickly rush with little build-up one of the most frustratingly bad final arcs I've ever read.

Not too sure what makes you think Batwing is on his way any more than the others. Because he had a minor role in Bad Blood? Don't really see the connection...

And honestly, same deal with Kate. She had a minor role in Bad Blood. Having "Bat" in the title will help any book, and I don't think "Batwoman" as a title sells any more books than, "Agent of the Bat", "Daughter of the Bat", or "Eggplant of the Bat" would. (That last one would definitely catch people's attention XD.)

Yes, these other characters succeeded in different climates, but Tynion is basically doing his best right now to restore that climate in 'Tec. No, Steph's arc didn't do a good job of showing off why people love her (Her solo adventure might help with that), but, shitty retconned origin aside, Tynion has done a great job with Cass, probably earning her a lot of new fans, and based on what we've seen so far, he's gonna do a damn fine job with Azrael next.

I'm not even going to get into the ridiculous idea that DC knows "When a character warrants a title or a miniseries", so I'll stop here.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by unclepulky View Post
    I honestly don't think any of the MAJOR Batfam need to be in a team book to sell.
    But if everyone had a solo at the same time it would probably be to many books.

Az's solo book lasted 100 issues. Yeah, sales had tanked to around 13,000 by the end, but that, from what I can tell, was because O'Neil was told the book was getting cancelled, so he had to quickly rush with little build-up one of the most frustratingly bad final arcs I've ever read.
    That was ~15 years ago, I kind of doubt that he is still popular enough to carrie a title.

And honestly, same deal with Kate. She had a minor role in Bad Blood. Having "Bat" in the title will help any book, and I don't think "Batwoman" as a title sells any more books than, "Agent of the Bat", "Daughter of the Bat", or "Eggplant of the Bat" would.
    I think she has currently a bigger fanbase than Azrael and Batwing. And her Last series reached 40 issues, thats not to bad in todays market.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Atlanta96 View Post
    By issue #8 was outsold by Black Canary, Starfire, Martian Manhunter, Batman Beyond with Tim Drake, Cyborg, and Gotham Academy. Even Omega Men was a bigger success when you factor in trade sales. The only reason it didn't do worse was because it was a Robin War tie-in.
    But by issue #9 the sales were much higher again. But it was anyway not a big succsess.

BANNED

But by issue #9 the sales were much higher again. But it was anyway not a big succsess.
    And it was back down by issue #10.

IMG_9974.jpg

To be fair Black Canary and Martian Manhunter were worse off by this point. But again, they never had tie ins to a major event to boost sales.

BANNED

That was ~15 years ago, I kind of doubt that he is still popular enough to carrie a title.
    True. But, as I said, he's about to get an arc all about him in one of DC's best selling titles. One way or another, it's gonna rise his profile.

I think she has currently a bigger fanbase than Azrael and Batwing. And her Last series reached 40 issues, thats not to bad in todays market.
    This I will agree with. In fact, Damian aside, she's probably the most beloved Batfam addition of the 21st Century. Still, unless someone was able to wrangle up undeniable proof, somehow, nothing could get me to believe that Kate has a stronger fanbase than Tim, Steph, Cass, or Hell, even Huntress.

Incredible Member

How do the Red Hood books do in terms of sales?
    Last edited by NK1988; 04-29-2017 at 08:37 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by NK1988 View Post
    Pretty good, not amazing. Think the book is around 28,000 in sales last I checked.

Incredible Member

Pretty good, not amazing. Think the book is around 28,000 in sales last I checked.

That's good to hear. It's one of the books I'm gonna be starting to follow. I'd hate for it to be canceled on me.

Also in a technical sense, wouldn't Jason almost count as a "beloved Batfam addition of the 21st Century"? Far as I know, he had no fans before his resurrection and after that he has plenty of supporters. (lots of haters too but still popular enough) Plus he had very different characterization and everything. Basically an all new character in all but name from what I've heard.

I'm just wondering how he compares in popularity since that's what is being discussed. Is there any way to measure Bat Family popularity?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by NK1988 View Post

Also in a technical sense, wouldn't Jason almost count as a "21st Century addition to the Batfam"? Far as I know, he had no fans before his resurrection and after that he has plenty of supporters. (lots of haters too but still popular enough) Plus he had very different characterization and everything. Basically an all new character in every way.
    1) You would be wrong and it`s something easy to check these days online.

2) All new character he isn`t since they never scrapped his old character just as they didn`t when Dick became Nigthwing. But obviously after a graduation of sorts, they can`t be the kids they used to be.