Page 58 of 267 FirstFirst ... 84854555657585960616268108158 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by unclepulky View Post
    I can really only see two outcomes from the release of a Duke solo.

1) The book tanks. They can call him a "fan-favorite" all they want, but the general attitude toward the character is pure indifference. And I'm also pretty sure that plenty of fans would simply be pissed at him getting a solo book, and not any of the characters from the 'Tec team. The book would be cancelled, and much like what happened to Harper following BR:E's negative reaction, his role would be minimized for some time, pissing off Duke's fanbase.

2) The book is somehow a success. (The only way I could honestly see this happening would be if Sndyer was writing it and his loyalists all read it). Duke, with his new major role in the Batfamily and possibly the DCU as a whole if Snyder has his way, grows a larger fanbase, but at the same time, earning a whole legion of fans who resent him. Right now, people who actually "Hate" Duke are just a vocal minority. But if this happened, you can bet fans of all the older Batfamily members who don't care about Duke would be up in arms about this, resulting in non-stop arguments until, like all books, "Lark" runs its course.
    I think it just depends on how well the character is recieved after his role in the big summer event. If he still can't get a following after that, I don't see his solo book doing well unless they can get a writer who can do something really interesting with him.

Quote Originally Posted by Caivu View Post
    This is literally the first I've heard of this.

The only thing I can find about this is a CBR article, and even then it was a maybe:
    Bat Force Radio had Scott Snyder as a guest a few weeks ago and he said there were plans for Harper in Detective and possibly a team books in the work next year. He also said big plans for Duke are gonna be announced soon. So both are going to continue being pushed.

Quote Originally Posted by Caivu View Post
    This is literally the first I've heard of this.
    Snyder said in a recent interview that there's a new book (not written by him) going to be announced soon that going to involve Harper and Duke I think? Seeing that he was excited about it, I guess it's safe to assume that Duke will be in it.

And about Bermejo, he doesn't hate the robins. He already said once that Jason and Carrie are his favorites.

I can really only see two outcomes from the release of a Duke solo.

1) The book tanks. They can call him a "fan-favorite" all they want, but the general attitude toward the character is pure indifference. And I'm also pretty sure that plenty of fans would simply be pissed at him getting a solo book, and not any of the characters from the 'Tec team. The book would be cancelled, and much like what happened to Harper following BR:E's negative reaction, his role would be minimized for some time, pissing off Duke's fanbase.

2) The book is somehow a success. (The only way I could honestly see this happening would be if Sndyer was writing it and his loyalists all read it). Duke, with his new major role in the Batfamily and possibly the DCU as a whole if Snyder has his way, grows a larger fanbase, but at the same time, earning a whole legion of fans who resent him. Right now, people who actually "Hate" Duke are just a vocal minority. But if this happened, you can bet fans of all the older Batfamily members who don't care about Duke would be up in arms about this, resulting in non-stop arguments until, like all books, "Lark" runs its course.
    Why would Duke's fan base growing lead to resentment.
    Dick Grayson fans Didn't resent Tim, Jason or Damian as their fan bases grew or vice versa. So long as fans of other batfamily members are getting good books featuring their favourites I don't see them hating or giving a toss about what Duke is doing.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Katana500 View Post
    Was a Harper book not mentioned too some point next year! I doubt she will have a solo so maybe its another bat family team book (maybe batgirls or something)

I think a Duke book was mentioned by Scott Sydner on Twitter... I think I remember seeing it their atleast!

I'm not complaining though I like both Harper and Duke I dont really care about which bat family characters get a book aslong as the story is good!
    I think they might show up in the Dark Matter book because they where also Capullo inventions.

However, I know he also said that he wants his writing class that he teaches at DC, to put out a book with lesser known characters so that they have more freedom to develop so it possible that is where they would show up.
    Last edited by ZuLuLu; 04-30-2017 at 09:45 AM.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rise View Post
    Snyder said in a recent interview that there's a new book (not written by him) going to be announced soon that going to involve Harper and Duke I think? Seeing that he was excited about it, I guess it's safe to assume that Duke will be in it.

And about Bermejo, he doesn't hate the robins. He already said once that Jason and Carrie are his favorites.
    I listened to the podcast and Duke wasn't mentioned, so I think the plans are separate. I don't even think he's involved with Harper anymore, he was just mentioning what Tynion is planning.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by dietrich View Post
    Dick Grayson fans Didn't resent Tim, Jason or Damian as their fan bases grew or vice versa. So long as fans of other batfamily members are getting good books featuring their favourites I don't see them hating or giving a toss about what Duke is doing.
    There's a difference though. With the exceptions of Steph and Damian taking over as Batgirl and Robin (And that was just because their predecessors were really removed in terrible ways), yeah, transitions have been pretty smooth.

But this isn't a matter of a someone new taking over as Robin or Batgirl. This is a new, still underdeveloped character who, while he definitely has his fans, does not have close to the same backing that every Robin, every Batgirl, and almost every other non-extended Batfam member has, getting a solo book, while others either remain in limbo, are stuck as guest stars, or fight for panel time in 'Tec.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    I listened to the podcast and Duke wasn't mentioned, so I think the plans are separate. I don't even think he's involved with Harper anymore, he was just mentioning what Tynion is planning.

Considering I trust Tynion far more than Snyder, I hope this turns out to be the case.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    Wasn't the bat something podcast? I could swear that Duke was mentioned and he was excited about some news that going to be announced soon. I guess I misremeber it.

Quote Originally Posted by dietrich View Post
    Back then people were furious when Dick was supposed to grow up and replaced with a new kid however I think it was simply because people loved the Robin they already had and didn't want him to grow up. Today the situation is different. I personally could care less about Tim and Jason but the hate against Duke is obviously because of jealousy. Fans of Tim, Cass, Steph etc. want to see their favorites getting a solo and more stories and are not willing to accept new characters. They will make all kind of excuses how he is a bland character and a copy of Tim or whatever you want to believe. People also hated Damian especially fans of Tim. Fans of Jason and Dick don't always get along either. Fans of the other Batgirls hate on Babs (and Kate). There are also a lot of Batman fans who dislike having the other members of the franchise around because they prefer solo Batman. I personally still dont like Duke or Harper because I think there are more than enough characters in the Batfamily but I like what Snyder is doing with him right now and I did like We Are Robin so I don't mind to see more of him. Harper however can die as far as I care. Anyway all characters used to be new at some point, nowadays it is more difficult to indroduce characters because they have a lot of competition but if DC keep pushing them and include them in some books they will gain a fanbase. Duke already has a decent following for a new character. In 10-20 years there will be new characters again and then fans of Duke and Harper might complain about the same thing as most fans are doing right now.

I like Snyder a lot, I just don't like him anywhere near Batman or the Batfamily. I actually think he would be best on Justice League. I place all my trust in Tynion..that dude IMHO feels the pulse of the batfamily fan.

There's a difference though. With the exceptions of Steph and Damian taking over as Batgirl and Robin (And that was just because their predecessors were really removed in terrible ways), yeah, transitions have been pretty smooth.

But this isn't a matter of a someone new taking over as Robin or Batgirl. This is a new, still underdeveloped character who, while he definitely has his fans, does not have close to the same backing that every Robin, every Batgirl, and almost every other non-extended Batfam member has, getting a solo book, while others either remain in limbo, are stuck as guest stars, or fight for panel time in 'Tec.
    We don't know plans for character in Tec could be some are gonna get solo or team up books. Surely if Cass, Steph and Tim got a well written team book you wouldn't resent Duke having a successful solo since you are getting what you want. You have been very vocal about how much you would love such a book.

Violet has her own book and she is new do you resent her? New character's are introduced and given books all the time.

BANNED

Hold on...was this bullcrap actually CONFIRMED?!
    Scott Snyder constantly teases a Duke solo in interviews and has confirmed negotiations for one, so I assume it's going to happen. Scott always gets his way.

I tried finding the exact interview where he talks about Duke's solo book, but they were too painful for me to read. Hopefully someone else can find it.
    Last edited by Atlanta96; 04-30-2017 at 10:15 AM.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by btmarine23 View Post
    I like Snyder a lot, I just don't like him anywhere near Batman or the Batfamily. I actually think he would be best on Justice League. I place all my trust in Tynion..that dude IMHO feels the pulse of the batfamily fan.
    Snyder and Capullo doing a Wonder Woman title could be greatness.

Wes Anderson should do a campy Batmovie. Look at his insane setpieces and costumes. Batman'66 tonally.

After Gotham Academy (boarding school) I'd like to see a different institution: a hotel. Think of all the stuff that could happen there.

Considering I trust Tynion far more than Snyder, I hope this turns out to be the case.
    Tynion is a student of Synder's and Synder has said that he would love for one of his student to pick up and play with the Duke character so Tynion's new writing project could be a Duke solo or involve Duke.

I too have seen interviews where Synder teases/hints at a Duke solo so yeah it is coming.

Duke is new and underdeveloped that's why he is getting more and more spotlight. How else do you expect a new character to get decent character development. His creator is also one of DC's top writers and nowadays you have to do more pushing to make a characters success. It makes perfectly sense no matter how much it pisses off other fanbases. It might be difficult to believe on this forum but Duke has a decent following, he has potential and fans who want to see more of him. My only problem with Snyder is how he keeps pushing Damian away when he is the one who should be by Batman's side. King sadly did nothing to change it. Snyder is obviously way too obsessed to make a huge impact on Batman and it's franchise but he is doing too much lately. He is a good writer and should be used elsewhere instead, he has done enough for Batman.