Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Default How to make Teen Titans better for you

I've seen a lot of hate for the current run, but I don't feel the same way. Sure it may not be written by Marv Wolfman or members like Dick Grayson or Donna Troy aren't in it, but people still like it regardless. Otherwise, it would've gotten cancelled with Klarion, Arkham Manor and Infinity Man and the Forever People. So given where the book is now what would you want to happen to make Teen Titans better in your eyes? A couple of rules:

1. No reboot or cancellation of the book
    2. No replacing the team with classic members Dick, Donna, Wally etc

Astonishing Member

Current run is fine, and rebooting is anathema.

That said, I'm all for new creative teams and fresh starts when something isn't working. Give it to some capable writer and artist and let them do their things.

I think Steve Orlando is doing some fun things in "Midnighter". He's young, hungry, did a cool coming of age thing in Undertow, and has a passion for DC comics. With the success of Midnighter I wouldn't be at all surprised if they gave him Teen Titans, and I'd be happy to see it.

I'd love to see Ben Caldwell put on the book post-Prez, but I also think Scott Hepburn did a great job on the fill in he did. Generally I'm all for expressive, energetic cartoonists on this kind of book, as I see it driven by the personalities more than the plot.

I think much mileage can still be gotten from a 'trinity' of Tim, Cassie and Kon El, especially as long as they don't have their own solo books (though Tim will be, no doubt, heavily featured in Batman Eternal 2 and Kon seems to be in the offing for a solo coming up). I also think the current 'extra's of Bunker, Raven, etc are cool, as is the 'rival' team. Maybe bring in Klarion, Guardian and Shining Knight full time from Seven Soldiers and see what you end up with.

Big, bright, characterful superhero action/adventure.

I'd also like a little bit weirder, more subversive "Young Justice" title, featuring a cast of 50% new characters and some 3rd tier peeps, maybe the return of Aqualad-as-Kalduur to give it some star power. Plan for 12 issues at most and just build a cool, weird corner of DC Earth.

Quote Originally Posted by AquaLantern View Post
    I've seen a lot of hate for the current run, but I don't feel the same way. Sure it may not be written by Marv Wolfman or members like Dick Grayson or Donna Troy aren't in it, but people still like it regardless. Otherwise, it would've gotten cancelled with Klarion, Arkham Manor and Infinity Man and the Forever People. So given where the book is now what would you want to happen to make Teen Titans better in your eyes? A couple of rules:

1. No reboot or cancellation of the book
    2. No replacing the team with classic members Dick, Donna, Wally etc
    No reboot or cancellation and no returning classic members? That only leaves the creators. I'm a TT lifer. Rare has been the time I haven't followed the team. I dropped The Atom-led group of completely new characters way back when but after giving it a solid try. I don't find anything to like about TT since Flashpoint. But the creative team has far more impact on a comic's quality than the characters or continuity within.

I would love to see DC put top talent on TT as they have on Justice League, Batman, and Superman books.

Also, no classic characters okay. But do Miss Martian, Kid Devil, and Ravager count as "classic" characters? Because they were the heart of the team the last time I enjoyed reading it and they just seem gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Deniz Camp View Post

That said, I'm all for new creative teams and fresh starts when something isn't working. Give it to some capable writer and artist and let them do their things.

I think Steve Orlando is doing some fun things in "Midnighter". He's young, hungry, did a cool coming of age thing in Undertow, and has a passion for DC comics. With the success of Midnighter I wouldn't be at all surprised if they gave him Teen Titans, and I'd be happy to see it.

I'd love to see Ben Caldwell put on the book post-Prez, but I also think Scott Hepburn did a great job on the fill in he did. Generally I'm all for expressive, energetic cartoonists on this kind of book, as I see it driven by the personalities more than the plot.

I think much mileage can still be gotten from a 'trinity' of Tim, Cassie and Kon El, especially as long as they don't have their own solo books (though Tim will be, no doubt, heavily featured in Batman Eternal 2 and Kon seems to be in the offing for a solo coming up). I also think the current 'extra's of Bunker, Raven, etc are cool, as is the 'rival' team. Maybe bring in Klarion, Guardian and Shining Knight full time from Seven Soldiers and see what you end up with.

I'd also like a little bit weirder, more subversive "Young Justice" title, featuring a cast of 50% new characters and some 3rd tier peeps, maybe the return of Aqualad-as-Kalduur to give it some star power. Plan for 12 issues at most and just build a cool, weird corner of DC Earth.
    um, who's the shining knight? And about the only thing I'd add is the return of Solstice.

BANNED

Not a Fan of Bart Allen are ya?,anyway I would really want a teen titans writer to use Bart Allen and take him seriously and put him on the spotlight and stop focusing only on tim/conner/cassie.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by protege View Post
    um, who's the shining knight? And about the only thing I'd add is the return of Solstice.
    Shining Knight is Ystina. The modern version was introduced in Morrison's Seven Soldiers, and that's the version I prefer, then brought back and slightly modified in "Demon Knights" by Paul Cornell. I think the 'trans' identification from "Demon Knights" could be brought to the Morrison 'time displaced, originating from proto-camelot' version.
    Last edited by Deniz Camp; 06-15-2015 at 01:22 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by LP22 View Post
    Not a Fan of Bart Allen are ya?,anyway I would really want a teen titans writer to use Bart Allen and take him seriously and put him on the spotlight and stop focusing only on tim/conner/cassie.
    No, I like Bart, especially his early-insane days, I just am aware that there is some weirdness going on with his origin/status. I didn't follow any of it so I have no idea how it might be circumvented, but I'd be happy to see his inclusion somehow.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by BatmanJones View Post
    Also, no classic characters okay. But do Miss Martian, Kid Devil, and Ravager count as "classic" characters? Because they were the heart of the team the last time I enjoyed reading it and they just seem gone.
    When I said classic I've meant characters that were in the Wolfman run because that what I've heard is the team that defined Teen Titans and characters like Donna, Wally, Cyborg, Starfire have no connection with the current team given their post-flashpoint histories. The characters you mentioned hasn't shown up after flashpoint so having them in the book would be interesting.
    Last edited by AquaLantern; 06-15-2015 at 01:38 PM.

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

No, I like Bart, especially his early-insane days, I just am aware that there is some weirdness going on with his origin/status. I didn't follow any of it so I have no idea how it might be circumvented, but I'd be happy to see his inclusion somehow.
    Big understatement, actually (and sadly).

But it could be easily circumvented simply by the statement that the Lobdell version wasn't really Bart. Because it wasn't....

For me...

Bring in Brenden Fletcher and a new artist. The one doing the September issue would do fine.
    Fletcher has got youthfulness down and does great with ensemble casts.

Dump all but two or three of the current members, perhaps keeping Power Girl as one of them.

Make it more obvious to readers that it's a new direction so they'll give it a look.
    That was the biggest problem with the current volume. I think it looked essentially the same as the previous one.

After a while they can work all the current members back in.

I just think it needs a fresh coat of paint and new direction.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

I loved Bart too, namely his IMPULSE book from the 90s and YOUNG JUSTICE days. That said, I don't see why a good writer couldn't find a way to make Bar Torr work- even if they divorced him from THE FLASH as a concept.

No need to have 3 "Kid Flash" characters running around.

Astonishing Member

I have literally no idea what they ended up doing there, so I can be of no service, but with a subgenre as riddled with the impossible as superhero comics, virtually any ill received status quo is imminently soluble.

Incredible Member Captain Britain of Earth 20's Avatar

This Teen Titans book could be better if the team had the original origins they had before Flashpoint and brought some Wildstorm characters from Gen 13 & DV8 to the team like Rainmaker, Grunge,Frostbite,& Evo or better yet bring revamped versions of the Team Titans or Dan Jurgens Teen Titans like Redwing & Argent. You don't need the classic five to make a new team but a good writer.
    Be yourself everyone is taken !! I'm an X-Man trapped in the DC omniverse

Blow it up. Give me an All New Teen Titans. And that starts with a new generation of characters. Thats how they make Teen Titans better for me. They need to make Teen Titans exciting again.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 06-16-2015 at 12:33 PM.