Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by vaf2675 View Post
    But it does matter. Exactly because of what you pointed out in your post. If all these Justice League stories take place before the events that are currently unfolding in the rest of the character's solo titles, then we really don't have to worry about anything radical happening to them (i.e. deaths, status quo changes, etc.) because we already know where all those characters' stories lead up to (their current status in the solo books).

This to me is what is really disconcerting, I don't have to worry about how the Darkseid Wars end or about what happens to the JLA that Hitch is currently writing, because I already know they are going to be fine (well except for Batman who seriously got screwed over in his book).

One of the enjoyable facts about reading a comic book story is that you are always wondering and worrying about what is going to happen to the characters. If you already know how they end up, it kind of defeats the purpose doesn't it?
    Sure; which is why I acknowledged that as a problem. But unless we disconnect everything or return to the days of purely episodic adventures, either approach is going to have its share of problems. I'd rather choose the one that lets authors' stories play out without interruption, as I feel that will make for the stronger reading experience overall, but your mileage may vary.

In this case, though, we're not sure now, and won't be until current storylines wrap up, what exactly DC's looser take on continuity will mean. Does it imply that everything will line up into a neat timeline when each serialized arc is done? Maybe, and that does come with the risk of diminishing tension if you can figure out where things align before the story's done. Or is it truly going to be loose, in a way that Johns' book could have consequences that affect Superman even if the details never exactly line up, or in a way in which consequences continue to play out in Johns' book and never worry about lining up with the solo books? (The obstacle there being that individual titles read really well, but putting the universe as a whole in order is sacrificed.)

Who knows? I guess we'll find out as we move on. I agree that DC can do more to make its stance clear to readers. but all of these are simply problems that come with the unnatural storytelling form of a shared, serialized universe. In the meantime, try to move forward without expectations for how everything will line up, and see which stories grab you on their own.

Basically, go ahead and assume Darkseid War could still have consequences right now. There's nothing telling us it can't, except the idea of holding to a neat timeline DC itself may not subscribe to anymore.
    Last edited by Cipher; 06-18-2015 at 04:20 PM.

With more and more titles with loose continuity or no continuity, there's probably no need or less need for titles with consequences affecting future continuities.

BANNED

I read some great stuff in Justice League Classified While JLA was out doing their thing. Didn't effect me at all!

Incredible Member

Are you new to comics?

Mighty Member

I would be fine with this if they didn't pick and choose when things do and do not tie-in. For example, if you wanna say that Justice league has it's own continuity fine. That's great do that. But the problem is that I know the flash is already in the justice league version of continuity because forever evil was referenced in his arc. Also, Geoff johns said that his story doesn't take place in the main dc universe, so does that mean all the other stories like T Shirt Man and Batbot are actually what if stories?

Actually, if there is no continuity, aren't all DC books What If stories?

Quote Originally Posted by Danileriver23 View Post
    I would be fine with this if they didn't pick and choose when things do and do not tie-in. For example, if you wanna say that Justice league has it's own continuity fine. That's great do that. But the problem is that I know the flash is already in the justice league version of continuity because forever evil was referenced in his arc. Also, Geoff johns said that his story doesn't take place in the main dc universe, so does that mean all the other stories like T Shirt Man and Batbot are actually what if stories?

Aren't all the new 52 books already what if stories? What if DC made awful books, I think that's what its called.

I know I might be nitpicking, but is anyone else bothered by the fact that the Justice League books seem to take place outside the normal continuity of the N52 universe?

It's gotten to the point where I'm wondering if they are really part of N52 at all.

Rest of the N52 - Depowered Superman without a secret identity. Bruce Wayne presumed dead and James Gordon as the new Batman. Wonder Woman now has pants, ridiculous armored shoulder pads and stupid wrist blades.

Justice League and Justice League Of America - Superman still super. Bruce Wayne as the one and only Batman (thank God). Wonder Woman still rocking the original N52 look (which is not as bad as the new one).

Seriously, when or where do the Justice League books take place?
    I'm actually glad Johns is ignoring most of those changes (especially WW's atrocious new look). Darseid Wars supposedly takes place before them, so I imagine once it ends, the book will reflect the new status quos.
    JLA is not supposed to be continuity-heavy, so I wouldn't worry about when it's supposed to happen or you'll get crazy.

BANNED

DC could have organized this much better.

They should have published Darseid Wars as the big 2 month event that crossed over with all the Justice Leaguers solo books instead of Convergence, and then have Convergence and the new DC You marketing ploy happen afterwards. At least that way you would avoid confusing fans with the differences in status quos between the books.

BANNED

They should have published Darseid Wars as the big 2 month event that crossed over with all the Justice Leaguers solo books instead of Convergence, and then have Convergence and the new DC You marketing ploy happen afterwards. At least that way you would avoid confusing fans with the differences in status quos between the books.
    Speak for yourself mate, Most of us are not confused at all.
    Last edited by Stone Cold; 06-19-2015 at 05:14 PM.

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

I'm glad they didn't do as you suggest myself. I've had my fill of events that hijack the story lines of several books just so they can have worthless tie-ins that never really amount to much of anything. I'm liking that Darkseid War is a self contained story that's not going to do that. Makes it far more enjoyable in my opinion especially since I don't have to later track down and read books that I don't care about in the first place just so I can understand the "whole" story. Personally, I'm not finding anything confusing here since clearly the books are all at different points in the timeline. It's not that hard to figure out.
    Last edited by JasonTodd428; 06-19-2015 at 12:45 PM.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

This isn't the first time a story has been written that doesn't sync up exactly timewise with other stories that are running concurrently, and it won't be the last. Most titles never happen at the same time anyway, since some story arcs take place over days/weeks, while others happen over the span of hours. There is lots of time between each book's arcs that another story could slip into.

However, DC could have easily avoided people complaining about the timeline by just adding a footnote at the beginning of each Justice League arc saying "This story takes place before Superman: Truth, Batman: Endgame, etc."

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nightw1ng View Post
    However, DC could have easily avoided people complaining about the timeline by just adding a footnote at the beginning of each Justice League arc saying "This story takes place before Superman: Truth, Batman: Endgame, etc."
    The fact that a powered Superman and a Bruce Wayne Batman are appearing in both the main JL title as well as JLA, while a depowered Supes and a non-Bruce Wayne "Batman" are appearing in their solos makes having such a footnote a bit redundant though.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

BANNED

They couldn't publish anything other than Convergence in April-May, because that's when they were moving offices and had to publish something that didn't effect the ongoing series, which was Convergence.

I am letting go of continuity altogether. I don't care anymore. I just want good comics about characters I love by creators I love. I haven't read JLA #1 yet but JL #41 exemplifies everything that I personally want out of comic books and everything that I want out of my lifelong favorite title: Justice League. I can't possibly care about continuity in the face of that.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Danileriver23 View Post
    does that mean all the other stories like T Shirt Man and Batbot are actually what if stories?

All stories are What If stories.

If this was set at the same time as other characters' solo titles, then Green Lantern wouldn't be in it. Batman wouldn't be in it. Superman wouldn't be able to do anything in it.

When you're telling a story that has a bunch of different characters all teaming up together, you absolutely need to accept that you will need to suspend your disbelief about things like this.
    Last edited by Claude; 06-19-2015 at 06:31 PM.