Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

I like Kent Nelson as much as the next guy, but I'd argue that the Golden Age boom characters have been mishandled since the 60s. I also like the Earth-2 concept as much as the next guy and the fact that Broome & Infantino & Co. weren't willing to let the originals fade into obscurity. But seriously ... they all deserved to be mainstream contemporaries, not Alt-Heroes. Which is why Late-Silver and Bronze Age DC are essentially just one big never-ending Earth-1 and Earth-2 crossover and why COIE was imperative, even if having to deal with all the real-time aging ridiculousness of Earth-2 and duplicate characters led to a lot of narrative snafus.

Anyway, getting on point - the whole DCU was flashpointed to crap. The way I'm figuring it in my own headspace, Khalid IS the New 52 Kent Nelson. I don't suppose I need "every" JSA guy to show up as a veteran the same age and well into their career like Batman (a guy can dream, though), but I also don't need them all to be like, 1940 manly man burly barrel chested cliches. Or else we're just going to have yet another massive cadre of white guys with the same exact heavyweight muscles and body types, representing nobody. (I mean I'm 'Caucasian', blue-eyed, 29, semi-talented, lifting weights constantly, and better than average looking and even I can't find all that much representation in a legion of would-be square-jawed, macho Bruce Wayne clones with "slightly" different personalities and day jobs.)

But ... skinny college guy from Brooklyn with working class parents? Khalid is essentially any given person on my friends list.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

like it a lot. will keep reading.

really liked that the new Dr. Fate is Egyptian-American. i mean, who else would Egyptian gods choose to save/protect the world?

BANNED

I would just like to point out that the Golden Age Kent Nelson was sooooo much the poster kid for massive child abuse.

Quote Originally Posted by NerdyBird View Post
    like it a lot. will keep reading.

really liked that the new Dr. Fate is Egyptian-American. i mean, who else would Egyptian gods choose to save/protect the world?
    Obviously a 100% white American.

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    Obviously a 100% white American.
    Canadian, actually.

is there a problem i'm not aware of?
    Last edited by NerdyBird; 06-21-2015 at 12:21 AM.

Canadian, actually.

is there a problem i'm not aware of?
    I think he was being sarcastic because they would most likely choose someone of Egyptian heritage, but Dr. Fate was originally created in the 40s when all comic book heroes were white and American, with the majority of them being male.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Astonishing Member

I read it and thought it was pretty good. It's yet another new Dr. Fate (I'm pretty sure we just met the one from Earth-2) but I'm pretty sure there will always be another Dr. Fate. I do hope Khalid gets some new "sorcerer's robes" or something, because I'm not sure about the helmet-and-hoodie combo.

Reading this today hope it lives up too the good things I'm hearing .

All-New Member

I really enjoyed this. I was going to pass based on not liking much from Levits lately, but I'm glad I didn't. Good story and artwork, and I liked the supporting cast, which is big for me. The book had a fun vibe to it too, which seems to be the direction that DC is going.

I haven't read anything related to Dr. Fate yet. As a completely new reader I liked the issue, especially because of the more surreal style that picked up the atmosphere greatly. I'll pick up the second issue and hope the I-don't-want-this-helmet will not go on for too long.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    I think he was being sarcastic because they would most likely choose someone of Egyptian heritage, but Dr. Fate was originally created in the 40s when all comic book heroes were white and American, with the majority of them being male.
    oh... so because i said 'Egyptian-American' buddy gets to be an assh-

oh, right. internet. nevermind.

pygophile and podophile Dr. Cheesesteak's Avatar

oh... so because i said 'Egyptian-American' buddy gets to be an assh-

oh, right. internet. nevermind.
    dude, calm down. you're still misinterpreting it. HsssH wasn't even referring to you...

He's sarcastically answering your question about who would Egyptian gods pick to save the world. He said white american b/c that's always been the status quo in comics for the past 70+ years...

it had nothing to do w/ you lol, stop taking offense at nothing.
    Comics were definitely happier, breezier and more confident in their own strengths before Hollywood and the Internet turned the business of writing superhero stories into the production of low budget storyboards or, worse, into conformist, fruitless attempts to impress or entertain a small group of people who appear to hate comics and their creators. -- Grant Morrison, 2008

trade-waiting - Ice Cream Man, Monstress

backlog - Blade of the Immortal, Mignolaverse, Promethea, X-Cutioner's Song

Astonishing Member

For the fans of classic Dr. Fate (Kent had a doctorate) - https://images.search.yahoo.com/imag...hspart=mozilla

I prefer that level of character. You can disagree. The new one might be a good story but not a Fate for an old fan.

Default Khalid's Last Name

One thing I don't get is that he was called Khalid Nassour in the Sneek Peek and Khalid Nelson in Issue 1, both by Bastet or Bastet's representation? What am I missing here?

Thanks.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kaine322 View Post
    One thing I don't get is that he was called Khalid Nassour in the Sneek Peek and Khalid Nelson in Issue 1, both by Bastet or Bastet's representation? What am I missing here?

Thanks.
    Might have just been an error. Maybe it's his mother's maiden name? Or, Khalid's nickname IS Kent, maybe he's supposed to be Kent reincarnated or something.