Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    BANNED

Default What's the point of the MCU/Netflix continuity?

The more I think about it, the more I don't get it. I'm almost 100% certain that the two will never cross over. We'll never see Thor, Ant-Man, or Captain America show up and team up with Daredevil, and we'll never see Luke Cage and Jessica Jones show up in an Avengers movie.

It seems like a pretty cheap ploy to get people to feel like they have to watch the shows, and an excuse to throw in easter eggs.

Yes, why would anyone want to watch a TV series because it might be good by itself. Indeed, the reason I watch the GoT TV series is because I want it be in continuity with the books. /s

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Byakko View Post
    Yes, why would anyone want to watch a TV series because it might be good by itself. Indeed, the reason I watch the GoT TV series is because I want it be in continuity with the books. /s
    I didn't say that people shouldn't watch it, I'm simply wondering if there's a compelling reason story-wise why the two mediums should have a shared continuity.

This is how Marvel should do it's connecting. Netflix doesn't shove the MCU references down your throat. That's why I don't like Agents of Shield. the #itsallconnected can sometimes backfire.

I'd certainly like to see the Avengers, the Defenders and the Agents of SHIELD come together to stop the threat of Thanos by the time Infinity War roles around. I don't really see it out of the realm of possibility. I can only assume the potential collapse of all existence to be an all hands on deck kind of story. And spread over two films, no doubt there's plenty of screen time for everyone to get a moment to shine.

Marvel was built on the "shared universe" concept for decades, of course their live-action adaptations would be built on the same concept.
    That's the whole point.
    "The means are as important as the end - we have to do this right or not at all.
    Anything less negates every belief we've ever had, every sacrifice we've ever made."

"Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely."

"No justice, no peace."

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by People Of The Earth View Post
    Marvel was built on the "shared universe" concept for decades, of course their live-action adaptations would be built on the same concept.
    That's the whole point.
    To address your point, Marvel comics has team ups all the time. It's constantly sharing and mixing its characters. If the MCU and Netflix mediums aren't going to do that, how is it the same thing?

BANNED

1. For people who crave a darker, and grittier side of the Marvel universe.
    2. It expands the MCU
    3. They will eventually crossover to the movies. Charlie Cox has something in his contract that says he has to show up in a movie if Marvel wants him to. I assume other Netflix heroes will have the same provision in their contract.

Has it been confirmed there will be no crossovers between the movies and the netflix shows, or is this an assumption?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by tsaimelemoni View Post
    Has it been confirmed there will be no crossovers between the movies and the netflix shows, or is this an assumption?
    I know Feige said something about there being no plans for crossover in an interview, but I don't have the link.

No plans for the initial seasons of the Netflix shows is different than no plans ever, and I assume Feige meant the first.

As to your question, having shows like AoS and the Netflix heroes makes the MCU feel robust and full of potential. Sure, they're currently not necessary (as far as perpetuating interest in the films, or the success of the films), but they are good ways to explore characters and concepts that might otherwise remain untouched.

And imo, it's better to have one connected universe than multiple versions of the same heroes a la DC's approach.

Spectacular Member

Even if there's no immediate plans for a crossover, I don't see any motive that would compel them to deliberately sabotage any possibility of doing so in the future. If they went your way and set it up so that they're different universes, and then decided later they wanted Daredevil to show up in the movies, they'd have to create an entire new Daredevil. I see no benefit to this?

The simple answer is because it gives them the option to do a crossover if they ever decide it would be creatively and financially beneficial. They aren't required to do it, and based on how amazingly well received the Daredevil series was, it's not hampering them creatively. Plus, Marvel has built its recent brand on the shared universe concept, and that brand carries a lot of power with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Emma's Midriff View Post
    To address your point, Marvel comics has team ups all the time. It's constantly sharing and mixing its characters. If the MCU and Netflix mediums aren't going to do that, how is it the same thing?
    Shared universe goes beyond just "teaming-up" characters btw, so you aren't addressing my remark at all.
    Also, you are affirming "MCU and Netflix medium aren't going to do that" id est "teaming-up, sharing and mixing characters". Are you privy of the content of future Netflix shows/ Marvel movies, justifying the assertion you made ?
    "The means are as important as the end - we have to do this right or not at all.
    Anything less negates every belief we've ever had, every sacrifice we've ever made."

"Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely."

"No justice, no peace."

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Emma's Midriff View Post
    I know Feige said something about there being no plans for crossover in an interview, but I don't have the link.
    For that matter, I thought there was a bit of bad blood between the film and television sides. Something about the producers of AoS not being given advanced warning of the fallout of Winter Soldier dismantling SHIELD, which obviously has severe implications for the series, while the Marvel Studios side not being happy about Coulson being revived on TV (thus why they've deliberately avoided mentioning him in subsequent films).