Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    I honestly question the continuity when it comes to that especially when the every Avengers title has never had her part of any team, Rage of Ultron is confirmed to be set after Secret Wars and in Ultron Forever, the present day Vision and Black Widow really didn't know who she was.
    Well she pops up alongside Captain Marvel or Iron Man etc. in Nova, All-New X-Men and a few more I think. I haven't read Ultron Forever, but who's to say that isn't the one that messes up continuity (I mean how wouldn't they even of heard that there's a new Thor around?) but even then, there are so many different Avengers teams its not surprising that the might not bump into each other for a while.

The impression I got was that the only reason Thor hasn't appeared in a proper Avengers title was a) because there was too much stuff going on in Hickman's run already and b) because continuity got so out of sync in the run up to Secret Wars that Aaron's arc in Thor was moving much slower than other titles and it would have got confusing having her running around regularly in another book, especially with the identity mystery. Despite this it still seems that most writers generally thought of her as an Avenger or closely affiliated to the Avengers.
    Last edited by shgs; 06-21-2015 at 02:50 AM.

Like with Captain America eventually it will go back to the Status Quo this is one thing I dislike about comics eventually it will just be for the sake of a short term sales spike
    I remember when Superman Died, Batman got his back broken, Spider-Man died and people were besides themselves saying I NEVER read "this comic" again

Astonishing Member Ken Ashcroft's Avatar

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by Thor8607 View Post
    Uh, Stan Lee is still alive.
    Oops, he is?

Sorry Stan.

Astonishing Member Ken Ashcroft's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by t hedge coke View Post
    Plus, Stan loved that stuff when he was an active writer of multiple titles.
    Yeah, I was just kinda making the point (badly) that looking at the early days when Stan was writing Flash, General Ross and Jane in the early Marvel books that who could have seen that one day these least likely individuals, going by those early appearances, would become Avengers in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by HaveAtThee View Post
    Short answer? Yes.

Long answer? Sometime around the build-up to the "Ragnarok" movie. To millions of people, Thor is Thor. Only to a few hundred thousand (if that) Jane Foster is.
    That's my expectation as well -- the Odinson will be back as Thor (probably with a new #1 and a high-profile creative team) sometime during the build-up to Thor: Ragnarok. I suspect that the Jane Foster arc was going to be an 18-issue arc but it got extended because of Secret Wars and the massive publicity that Marvel got from it. My impression from the interviews Jason Aaron gave was that he'd been planning this for a while and it seems to me like editorial hijacked his story and it's gotten decompressed to satisfy whatever internal expectations they have insofar as when it'll be politically correct to move back to a male Thor.
    Last edited by Eisenhorn; 06-21-2015 at 05:29 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Eisenhorn View Post
    That's my expectation as well -- the Odinson will be back as Thor (probably with a new #1 and a high-profile creative team) sometime during the build-up to Thor: Ragnarok. I suspect that the Jane Foster arc was going to be an 18-issue arc but it got extended because of Secret Wars and the massive publicity that Marvel got from it. My impression from the interviews Jason Aaron gave was that he'd been planning this for a while and it seems to me like editorial hijacked his story and it's gotten decompressed to satisfy whatever internal expectations they have insofar as when it'll be politically correct to move back to a male Thor.
    Yeah, that's what I think too.

Well, I wouldn't say it got 'hijacked' by editorial, but it is probably accurate to say that Secret Wars will extend the time it lasts simply because the story by necessity has to be put on hold until Secret Wars is over. I think it was always intended to last a good long while, otherwise there isn't much point in doing it at all.

Thinking on it, I said this over in the Loki thread a few days back, after Secret Wars I can see Marvel maybe doing the Thor book with Jane, and then having an Odinsons book with dude-Thor and Loki where the focus is on them. That way everyone can have what they want. Mostly, anyway. I mean, Thor would still be unworthy for at least part of it, but there would still be a book where he had a much more prominent role. I think it may be shared with Loki because Aaron is clearly building to something with him, resurrecting Laufey and all. (and yes, I know that Loki is not an 'Odinson' technically, but it would be a good title, and Odin can always change that if he wanted to. and a story involving his birth father would be a good place to do that.)

Finding a destination in the infinite multiverse

Quote Originally Posted by Raye View Post
    Well, I wouldn't say it got 'hijacked' by editorial, but it is probably accurate to say that Secret Wars will extend the time it lasts simply because the story by necessity has to be put on hold until Secret Wars is over. I think it was always intended to last a good long while, otherwise there isn't much point in doing it at all.

Thinking on it, I said this over in the Loki thread a few days back, after Secret Wars I can see Marvel maybe doing the Thor book with Jane, and then having an Odinsons book with dude-Thor and Loki where the focus is on them. That way everyone can have what they want. Mostly, anyway. I mean, Thor would still be unworthy for at least part of it, but there would still be a book where he had a much more prominent role. I think it may be shared with Loki because Aaron is clearly building to something with him, resurrecting Laufey and all. (and yes, I know that Loki is not an 'Odinson' technically, but it would be a good title, and Odin can always change that if he wanted to. and a story involving his birth father would be a good place to do that.)
    But current Loki isn't Laufeyson either, is he? I just don't see the magnificent god of stories turning into a villain esque figure or falling to help laufey.

Quote Originally Posted by Anubhavkumarc View Post
    But current Loki isn't Laufeyson either, is he? I just don't see the magnificent god of stories turning into a villain esque figure or falling to help laufey.
    He's Laufeyson in 616. He was Odinson in Ultimate, though. (and the movies too, i guess?)

And I don't think he'll be going villain again. Not sure where you got that from my post. I want a book where he and Thor are working TOGETHER. Maybe not alwys getting along perfectly, but on the same side. Laufey is an evil SOB who beat Loki, Loki has every reason to hate him, and help to take him down. Which is why this story would be the perfect opportunity to officially change Loki's last name, should they want to.
    Last edited by Raye; 06-21-2015 at 08:40 AM.

Finding a destination in the infinite multiverse

He's Laufeyson in 616. He was Odinson in Ultimate, though.

And I don't think he'll be going villain again. Not sure where you got that from my post. I want a book where he and Thor are working TOGETHER. Maybe not alwys getting along perfectly, but on the same side. Laufey is an evil SOB who beat Loki, Loki has every reason to hate him, and help to take him down. Which is why this story would be the perfect opportunity to officially change Loki's last name, should they want to.
    Was he still a frost giant after rebirth? I've not read much Thor to know it.. I'm a fairly new reader.

Presumably he is, but he has never exactly been one to embrace his inner frost giant before or after the rebirth. He does not like that aspect of himself, never has, and actively tries to hide it.

Anyway, on Thor... yeah, with or without Loki, (though I think with would be more fun) I think 2 books may be needed. One for Jane one for Odinson trying to sort through his issues. I think both books would sell well.
    Last edited by Raye; 06-21-2015 at 08:53 AM.

Sure he'll return to the fore eventually but I'd like him away from Mjolnir for a good 5 years at least.

In addition if there was one Avenger that needed a break it was Tony Stark. I'd love if he was off the title for a few years, maybe have Arno take over until 2020(natch') and then have the two fight it out.

BANNED

Presumably he is, but he has never exactly been one to embrace his inner frost giant before or after the rebirth. He does not like that aspect of himself, never has, and actively tries to hide it.

Anyway, on Thor... yeah, with or without Loki, (though I think with would be more fun) I think 2 books may be needed. One for Jane one for Odinson trying to sort through his issues. I think both books would sell well.
    They would, indeed. I'd certainly buy the Odinson book, and I'm quite confident they'll announce one after SW.

Quote Originally Posted by shgs View Post
    Well she pops up alongside Captain Marvel or Iron Man etc. in Nova, All-New X-Men and a few more I think. I haven't read Ultron Forever, but who's to say that isn't the one that messes up continuity (I mean how wouldn't they even of heard that there's a new Thor around?) but even then, there are so many different Avengers teams its not surprising that the might not bump into each other for a while.

The impression I got was that the only reason Thor hasn't appeared in a proper Avengers title was a) because there was too much stuff going on in Hickman's run already and b) because continuity got so out of sync in the run up to Secret Wars that Aaron's arc in Thor was moving much slower than other titles and it would have got confusing having her running around regularly in another book, especially with the identity mystery. Despite this it still seems that most writers generally thought of her as an Avenger or closely affiliated to the Avengers.
    I've read all of the issues of Nova since she first became Thor and all of All-New X-Men and she hasn't shown up in either book. Guardians Team-Up was literally the only place she was shown with the Avengers. As for Ultron Forever, the exact context was Vision stating that they never formally met in which she realized they were from the recent past making mention of the New Qeng Dynasty, something that would only come to pass in All-New All-Different Avengers. There are only 2 active Avengers teams associated the Avengers; the main team and the unity team and that scene depicted the main team. Nowhere in TRO or the supplemental material of Avengers World leading to it have anything to do with it. At no point before the new MU has She-Thor been an Avenger.

I've read all of the issues of Nova since she first became Thor and all of All-New X-Men and she hasn't shown up in either book.
    novathor.jpg

Oh look, it's Thor in Nova with Avengers characters.

(Admittedly both Cap and Tony are also Guardians of the Galaxy, Tony is in his Guardian's suit and Rocket is in the previous panel so it seems in retrospect that they are there in their capacity as GotG, though how Thor would know the GotG I don't know and if they are buddies enough to bring her along it would seem likely that they hang out on earth as well... as Avengers say?)

x-menthor.jpg

Oh look, it's Thor in All New X-Men with an Avenger.

At no point before the new MU has She-Thor been an Avenger.
    Apart from at this point, you mean.

avengers+thor.jpg

What this proves, more than anything, is the inconsistency of current Marvel continuity (hopefully Secret Wars will tidy things up somewhat), but it is pretty clear that two different writers, and three different editors, all consider Thor to be, if not an Avenger, then closely affiliated to the Avengers, and since the whole point of the Avengers machine seemed to be that pretty much everybody is on the bench, the distinction is negligible.