Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default The Things Marvel Won't Let Sony Do With Spider-Man

Gawker has obtained the licensing document between Marvel and Sony, which provides several mandates about the character circa 2011.

Most controversial is that Peter Parker has to be white.

Though there's other stuff that's interesting (IE- Sony can't give him a new middle name.)
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Marvel did the right things in encouraging a comic accurate Spider-Man for the silver screen. Bravo to them. DC probably just lets whatever happen like uncaring greedy idiots.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    Marvel did the right things in encouraging a comic accurate Spider-Man for the silver screen. Bravo to them. DC probably just lets whatever happen like uncaring greedy idiots.
    Luthor would approve of this post.

I think the casting allows for a Hispanic or mixed race actor who passes off as white. It's all kinds of tacky though.

Interesting that "He never tortures" is included. Is that why the scenes with Peter bashing Harry in The Amazing Spider-Man 2 after Gwen's death were left on the editing room floor?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    I think the casting allows for a Hispanic or mixed race actor who passes off as white. It's all kinds of tacky though.

Interesting that "He never tortures" is included. Is that why the scenes with Peter bashing Harry in The Amazing Spider-Man 2 after Gwen's death were left on the editing room floor?
    There are Hispanic Caucasians, so you're correct. Cameron Diaz and Christina Aguilera are notable examples. Mixed heritage opens up all kinds of loopholes in that.

Extraordinary Member

Nothing surprising. A bit interesting that they spoke about sexuality.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Gawker has obtained the licensing document between Marvel and Sony, which provides several mandates about the character circa 2011.

Most controversial is that Peter Parker has to be white.

Though there's other stuff that's interesting (IE- Sony can't give him a new middle name.)
    Click bait title of the article, is click bait. I like to imagine Marvel made the list by stating shit that could offend the interwebs. White (like he's been portrayed for over fifty years. Does he have to white? No. But is it racist of Marvel to not change his race? No.), check. Male (of course), check. And finally heterosexual (Mary Jane Watson is the most prominent reason why I give a shit about that. Other than that, *shrug*), check. I can't wait until this makes the rounds so I can sit around like this...

Kermit.jpg

and watch the world burn. MUHAHAHA!

Anyway the author, obviously doesn't like Spider-man or Peter Parker. So...

(And any news that involves the movie version of Spider-man always meets whines and cries from the masses...probably because a good franchise was replaced by a shit franchise...only to be then again replaced by a new franchise that exemplifies Marvel's hard on for the YOUTH!!!! I can understand the frustration.)

What I thought curious was the one "He gains his powers while attending middle school or college." Huh? What do they define as "middle school"? I'm use to it being grades +/-5th through 8th, though I could see it being possibly 9th as well.

And I doubt they're using the term "middle school" to include high school since it also says "He attends or attended high school in Queens, New York and he attends or attended college in New York City, New York."

Yeah I'll agree that the middle school thing is weird, but everything else was expected.

I'm laughing cause Dan Slott was the one of the ones that was vocal on saying Peter Parker didn't have to be Caucasian.

It's possible that the author of that article was thinking of Miles Morales; Who was 13 when he got his powers and is presently 14(?). I am pretty sure he was just entering 7th grade.(Possibly 8th?)

Peter Parker was 15 and in High School when he was bit; And while it has never been stated*, it is possible that Peter had been jumped a grade at some point.

*- Nor even suggested that I know of.
    Life is the algorithm through which Goddess explores the infinite possibilities of Her own existence.

Interesting to note, it doesn't say spiderman CANNOT be married on the big screen ! So theoretically if sony wants to they could depict a married Peter and MJ in the movies, rather Marvel thinks it's a good idea or not.
    spider-man from 1962 through 2007 R.I.P will miss you always.

Quote Originally Posted by Aruran. View Post
    Yeah I'll agree that the middle school thing is weird, but everything else was expected.

I'm laughing cause Dan Slott was the one of the ones that was vocal on saying Peter Parker didn't have to be Caucasian.
    I think they're just using middle school as a catchall for the time between elementary school and university.

It's weird, but it is also something that Sony clearly ignored with Amazing Spider-Man.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

I think they're just using middle school as a catchall for the time between elementary school and university.
    But later on they clearly said "high school". If they hadn't done that, I might be more likely to agree with you.

Astonishing Member The_Greatest_Username's Avatar

So it doesn't say that Spider-Man cannot be bisexual. Interesting

It's weird, but it is also something that Sony clearly ignored with Amazing Spider-Man.
    I think they choose middle school purely if they wanted to make multiple movies, it would've forced Sony to go away from the romantic aspect and use other elements of Spider-Man.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Medusa View Post
    So it doesn't say that Spider-Man cannot be bisexual. Interesting
    I'm pretty sure saying he's heterosexual rules him out as a bisexual.