BANNED

Default Wiki's or Encyclopedia Books

Whats your preferred source for information, Online Wiki's or Encyclopedia books. Which one do you like the best between the two.

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

Whichever is respectable source is handier. Unless it's just some trivia thing, in which case, whichever is handier and doesn't seem like a parody article.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by t hedge coke View Post
    Whichever is respectable source is handier. Unless it's just some trivia thing, in which case, whichever is handier and doesn't seem like a parody article.
    The problem with Wiki's is how anyone can Edit them, Atleast with encyclopedia's as hardcopy books people cannot mess with them like Wiki's.

It's been fun. Toodles. Paradox's Avatar

Yeah, handy is usually the key for me. Most of the important factual stuff is pretty verified and sourced. And Wiki's not as easy to get away with editing as people think. Sure, people have done so maliciously, but it's not there for long. The more subjective a subject you're looking for, though, you might want to use other sources.
    'Dox out.

"It’s cold and it’s mean-spirited and I don’t like it here anymore." - Alan Moore

"Can it, you nit!" - Violet Beauregard

"And Paradox is never correct. About anything."- Kid Omega

The Conclave group page on Primus (a work in progress)
    Champions: The Conclave (an updating Facebook Gallery)
    Decorum & Friends (A City of Heroes archive)

If I was doing academic research, sure, I'd seek out the latest, most up-to-date encyclopedias.

But for general information seeking, like when composing a blog entry or what have you, I don't see the harm in hitting up Wikipedia as a place to start. It gets a lot of crap, but a lot of stuff has citations to other sources that can back up what's being said and provide additional reading.
    My Blog | Tumblr
    * Original Join Date: September 2010

BANNED

High School's and College's don't like using Wikipedia for sources. Guess what? Nearly everything on it is cited. You can just go to those sites and use that as a source.

Anyways Encyclopedia's are more respectable but limited. Wikipedia brings more room in for error but is also usually the most up to date source their is.

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kingmyth View Post
    The problem with Wiki's is how anyone can Edit them, Atleast with encyclopedia's as hardcopy books people cannot mess with them like Wiki's.
    That stops re-editing, but it doesn't make the information verifiable or accurate. Unfortunately.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by t hedge coke View Post
    That stops re-editing, but it doesn't make the information verifiable or accurate. Unfortunately.
    Sure it's not always up to date information, But atleast it's still good to have hard copy encyclopedia books.