Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesedique View Post
    Seems like a big waste to have one of the last great Spider-man villains off the table. The series lost a good supporting character in Flash Thompson too.

Venom should be a bad guy, and I think Renew Your Vows proved what a menacing foe Brock could be when he has the symbiote.

I'm hoping Brock's coming back. Carnage could be his archenemy.
    Agreed, especially when we already have a glut of "good" spider people running around being heroes.

iMan 42s

I keep seeing posts about people wanting Brock returning as a villain and I have to ask this, do you want him back as Eddie Brock the villain? Or do you want him back as Eddie Brock Venom?

He already is a villain as Toxin and fills the same role as he did in the 90's being the uneasy ally to the hero except now he is Toxin due to the now full hero Venom. He does the same stuff he did before and generally looks the same despite tendrils and a bit of red but that can be fixed with a costume change and different artists.
    So is it some want Brock back as a villain or is it that they want him to be Venom? Swapping the aliens is btw almost pointless considering they would be doing the same thing with it only being a pallet swap.

I bring this up because in relation to Flash as Venom we could very well see Brock take an even bigger antagonistic turn here. That tag could go both ways in that Flash and Venom return from space, and Eddie and Toxin return to menace Flash again except this time it's a feud extended to the suits as well considering what Bendis did.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperiorIronman View Post
    I keep seeing posts about people wanting Brock returning as a villain and I have to ask this, do you want him back as Eddie Brock the villain? Or do you want him back as Eddie Brock Venom?

He already is a villain as Toxin and fills the same role as he did in the 90's being the uneasy ally to the hero except now he is Toxin due to the now full hero Venom. He does the same stuff he did before and generally looks the same despite tendrils and a bit of red but that can be fixed with a costume change and different artists.
    So is it some want Brock back as a villain or is it that they want him to be Venom? Swapping the aliens is btw almost pointless considering they would be doing the same thing with it only being a pallet swap.
    I contend Flash never should have been Venom, but rather Toxin right from the start. As you pointed out Eddie is basically the same character while wearing Toxin as he was as Venom (which is why I call the character Venotox), thus why bother giving him a different suit? With all the universes merging and shattering and such Marvel can just explain the change by stating Eddie never gave up the original alien in the new timeline, thus Flash only had the option of being Toxin. See super easy fix, if that is indeed what they mean by "new Venom" or "I've returned" coming this fall.

Writer At Comic Watch Dylan Davison's Avatar

Not saying that Flash should have never been Venom, though I do want Eddie back as Venom. But it would make sense to give Flash Toxin, or would have made sense. After all Toxin always had a deal to play hero with with his previous own right haha? So it would be easy for him and Flash to get/have gotten along. At least that is my opinion XD.

But like I said, I don't think Flash should have never been Venom, it was an interesting take for the characters and I enjoyed a lot of the stories. But, in my opinion, I think Eddie needs a new chance as Venom haha.
    Pulls:
    Coffin: La Muerta, Lady Death, Hellwitch. Valiant: Shadowman. DC: Poison Ivy.
    Check Out My Comic Reviews And More At Comic Watch!

Venom has classically been portrayed as both a terrifying monster as well as reluctant ally with a warped moral code: a character that feels complex emotions about Spider-Man, especially when you factor in the symbiote's love/jonesing for Peter Parker.

Flash Thompson is the bully-turned-friend/frenemy of Peter Parker and Spider-Man's number one fan.

Combining them into one character makes total sense and thematically works better than any other Venom: the complex relationships that exist, I maintain, just haven't been fully explored yet. It would be a shame to forgo that exploration for the return of a character that is much more two-dimensional.

-Pav, who knows Flash could be terrifying as Venom because he knows how he would do it...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

Astonishing Member

I really hope they won't restore Eddie Brock as the classic Venom. I really like Flash Thompson as Agent Venom, although maybe the "Agent" part will be removed. Well, anyway, I don't see any future in restoring the classic old Venom again. Anti-Venom could have much better role for Eddie Brock.

But wait, you know? You are forgetting something. That symbol doesn't exclusive means the return of Classic Venom. In fact, somebody else used that symbol before Venom was born. I believe maybe this means that Julia Carpenter will return to her old classic costume of Spider-Woman II/Arachne. That could also means the return of the original Madame Web somehow? Has anyone consider that possibility? I really prefer the poster is about Julia Carpenter as Spider-Woman II/Arachne rather than Eddie Broack as Venom again.

Quote Originally Posted by Pav View Post
    Venom has classically been portrayed as both a terrifying monster as well as reluctant ally with a warped moral code: a character that feels complex emotions about Spider-Man, especially when you factor in the symbiote's love/jonesing for Peter Parker.

Flash Thompson is the bully-turned-friend/frenemy of Peter Parker and Spider-Man's number one fan.

Combining them into one character makes total sense and thematically works better than any other Venom: the complex relationships that exist, I maintain, just haven't been fully explored yet. It would be a shame to forgo that exploration for the return of a character that is much more two-dimensional.

-Pav, who knows Flash could be terrifying as Venom because he knows how he would do it...
    seconding this.

Hearing this news both excites me and terrifies me. I've been a huge Eddie fan from the 90s on, and I was there for the good and the bad. I was so nervous when Flash got the suit , but I ended up loving the character. I just find it unfortunate that he's been utilized to badly in Bendis' Guardians title.

I would be unsure how to deal with Eddie getting the symbiote back, as others have said, he's kind of similar as Toxin. I absolutely, 100% do NOT want Brock back to hating Pete. Brock received so much fantastic character development as Anti-Venom. He really moved forward and climbed proudly out of the pit of stagnation that harmed his character for so long. If he goes back to hating Pete, all that awaits him is the fate that he faced in Renew Your Vows. We've been there and done that with Brock hating Pete and plotting against him in the shadows. If we got back to that, we may get a few good stories before the fatigue sets in and he goes into limbo until Marvel pulls another crazy stunt to revive interest in the brand.

Anti-Venom's time was cut criminally short. By Brock taking responsibility of his past actions, having Jenna as a person to care about, having the ability to heal, and struggling to keep his anger in check he became the Eddie we've known, but a fresh new take:

• The healing ability can have him having a more helpful and heroic role in some events (look at Spider Island), though it doesn't have to be on a grand scale, we can have stories of him connecting with the little people of New York and showing his compassion helping with and without beating street thugs to death.

• Having Jenna there solved one of the problems that plagued him in the 90s, a lack of someone to bounce ideas off of who was close to him, a supporting cast member. Look at how interesting Carnage was in his Axis book when he was interacting with that surly reporter!

• Having him struggle with his anger like he did in New Ways to live could be interesting. One of the things that disappointed me about Wolverine is how he resigned himself to being the team killer. I loved how in the old days he kept walking the line between man and beast and wouldn't just give in to killing. He kept fighting and the interesting struggles added to his samurai-like path. Adding that along with Eddie's renewed faith could take things further.

• I've said this in the past and across the internet, but Ann should never have died in a weak attempt to make Brock hate Peter once more. I would of have her survive the fall, but sadly lose the use of her legs. She'd be determined to get something out of her life, beat her PTSD that had her stuck in the apartment in that story, resurrect her legal career and be a real tigress in the courtroom. Picking up from the end of Spider Island and Brock's temporary hero of NYC status he could have sought her out after learning by chance that she survived. Then their uneasy meetings would begin. People's memories fade fast, but some people would see Brock still as a hero, but Ann would have to struggle with remembering the bad that came with Eddie.

• Adding on to the above idea, I would have had Eddie eventually regain his Anti-Venom abilities but at a reduced rate (he can heal amazingly, but he has limits and he can't "cure powers" unless there are special conditions). Ann would be tempted to ask Brock for help, heck, he'd even offer. In a way similar to the way Barbara Gordon refused a demon (Necron?), she'd eventually refuse, saying it drives her and she's through with miracles from alien suits
    • Also continuing from the public perception of hero angle....BRING BACK THE JURY. Seriously, there are so many people that Brock has harmed, I can't imagine them taking the news that he's TWICE beaten away his past; New Ways to Die, as he was dying of Cancer, Matt Murdock cleared him of EVERY CRIME he ever did and as the hero of Spider Island, he got the a-ok from Reed Richards (see pic below, probably the most significant photo-op of Brock's life since the Sin Eater thing). The Fantastic Four are one of the world's most trusted and beloved heroes, for Reed to acknowledge and even put his arm around Brock despite his past spent attacking his dear friend Peter is huge. Anyways, many people would not sit idly by and would fight back against Brock. So many angles from there

Iconic shift in Brock's life and public perception

I apologize for rambling, but look at the above, love it or hate it, it's more for Brock to do if he got his own series rather than him plotting to kill Pete again for 3 issues.

Personally, I'd like to see a Symbiote Squad book with Him and Flash as the main/only members at the start and maybe a few rotating members like Toxin, Mania and Scorn could join.

Taking Brock back wouldn't do good. Look at Kaine, throwing him in a bold, risky new direction did him wonders. I shudder to think if he just stayed the man he was during the Clone Saga. Rigidity does no one favours.
    Last edited by Shockdingo; 06-23-2015 at 12:48 AM. Reason: Forgot my pic
    Voice Actor and Symbiote Fanatic -- Hoping for Anti-Venom's return daily.

Call me selfish but I still want Eddie back in the suit; villain, hero or anti-hero I don't care which. There is only one true Venom, imo, and it isn't Flash Thompson.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

If they're gunna bring back Eddie Venom I hope they keep Flash Venom as well. I'd be super sad if they got rid of Flash Venom. :<

Astonishing Member

Guys, try to think outside the box. Venom is not the only one who ever used that symbol of the white spider over a black background. There are other possibilities:
    + Julia Carpenter, back as Spider-Woman II/Arachne.
    + Mania, the teen girl Flash infected with a copy of his symbiote and the Devil's mark.

Besides, if you have read the first issue of "Renew Your Vows", you will see that Eddie Brock's Venom looked like much more to Mac Gargan's Venom in monster form.

Mighty Member

If you believe Bleeding Cool, it's Venom (presumably still Flash) in space. Robbie Thompson (the guy from Silk) writing.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/06/...riel-olivetti/
    I write about the intersection of science, comics and culture. Check it out!

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

Certainly looks like they're teasing a Venom book to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Dog View Post
    If you believe Bleeding Cool, it's Venom (presumably still Flash) in space. Robbie Thompson (the guy from Silk) writing.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/06/...riel-olivetti/
    Disappointing (if indeed true), I've enjoyed Agent Venom in space as much as I enjoyed the Leprechaun and Jason Voorhees being there before him.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Mighty Member

I'll pick it up. Been jonesing for some Venom, and while I don't read Silk, I like what I've seen from the previews.
    I write about the intersection of science, comics and culture. Check it out!