Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

I never posted at all at the DCMB myself, but it doesn't appear I missed much.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    As far as I know Marvel doesn't have official forums either anymore?

As for the motive, those forums were always negative, it doesn't make much sense to pay money for negative content that is shown in your official site. Its not about silencing anyone since we have lots of forums, fansites and blogs that continue to bash DC (or other companies), it's just business, why pay for something that isn't productive in any way? It would have happened eventually without new52 too, reboot just gave more focus on cleaning up.
    I can only talk about the Marvel boards in Europe in the 90's around that time we hadn't much to complain and there weren't any writers which you can engage a post battle or something like this. On the other side not everything was good but in numbers that were only 1 or 2 titles which seems to run in the woods and lost their course.(yeah we all complained about them)

The rest was talk about: How do you like the last issues ? Wasn't it awesome because *bla* *bla *bla*
    Than there were thread about : "Who is the strongest hero? , Which female hero is the most sexiest ? and than the What If joke thread with impossible situations.

I think DC and Marvel have different reasons why fans complain Marvels minor title were all swallowed up by their grown up versions from 'Marvel Knight' and some other complicate stuff. DC I'm no expert for DC but I know the whole new 52 stuff which a lot of fans complained about and through I bought some recently I see that one or two are also in the woods but it seems to me that DC put more effort in holding fans than Marvel at least now.

What I'm basically saying is that I see it so that in the past there wasn't so much to complain about and the community wasn't so stiff(or so?).

How boards help publishers to improve themselves is width topic but I know from the MMO market that companies rarely interested in good comments.
    So it is not a wonder that they shut down their boards.

I often wonder if dc does read boards like this? Or if they aren't even concerned?

That would basically be full day job for couple of people. Doesn't feel like very useful "investment" to me.

Retired

I only posted on a Mavel message board very briefly. I think there were different efforts to get a Marvel message board started, but most of these didn't work out. The one I tried had moderators for each forum and they ruled with complete autonomy. It wasn't the hands off approach I was used to on the DCMBs where the mod only posted when he felt he needed to bring out the big stick.

I would try to post topics about things that interested me and they would be taken down by the mod. These weren't controversial topics--I tried my best to write well and with respect. When I asked the mod why my topics were being taken down he or she answered that she or he found them boring and wasn't interested in them so they were taken down. I got the message that we were just there to entertain the moderator and if the moderator wasn't amused then we couldn't have a voice.

And it seemed to me the topics that were popular were flaming, name calling, poor use of language and just outright drama--because that's what entertained that moderator. Each forum was totally a relection of whoever was moderating each one.

But that's a brief snapshot of one Marvel site and I'm sure there were others with a different character. I wouldn't want to make the mistake, like some here re: the DCMBs, of judging all Marvel message boards for all time based on my own anecdotal experience.

If it hadn't been for the DCMBs, I probably would have bought very few new comics or TPBs in the first decade of the 21st century. By that time I wasn't much interested in the DCU or the new writers and artists. And I was having a lot of money problems--so I couldnt afford to throw my money away on stuff that didn't interest me. The DCMBs kept me involved with comics.

They steered me toward DC comics I liked. And I was often buying the floppies or the TPBs so I could post about them on the relevant DC fora. In fact, it would have been more cost effective to buy trades, but I kept buying certain monthlies so I could stay involved in the converation on the DCMBs. And it wasn't just DC comics--since comics from all publishers were discussed there. As a direct result of the DCMBs, I was trying out comics from Marvel, Image, Darkhorse, Wildstorm and the independents.

The DCMBs are chiefly responsible for all the comics, trades and hardcovers I own from between 2000 and 2010.

Vertigo Psychonaut ChaoticScholar's Avatar

I miss the desktop wallpapers, and wish they did official podcasts like Marvel.
    "People look at us and see the poor and the mad, but they’re looking at us through the bar of their cages.

There’s a palace in your head, boy.

Learn to live in it always. " -- Grant Morrison

I didn't like the vibe of the DC Message Boards. I remember the members being older fans with much more conservative values.

I miss them. I see DC bringing them back to get back the SEO juice they lost taking them down and never regaining position again.

SUPERDOOM say stop mind control.
    Last edited by Superdoom; 06-20-2015 at 01:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I only posted on a Mavel message board very briefly. I think there were different efforts to get a Marvel message board started, but most of these didn't work out. The one I tried had moderators for each forum and they ruled with complete autonomy. It wasn't the hands off approach I was used to on the DCMBs where the mod only posted when he felt he needed to bring out the big stick.

I would try to post topics about things that interested me and they would be taken down by the mod. These weren't controversial topics--I tried my best to write well and with respect. When I asked the mod why my topics were being taken down he or she answered that she or he found them boring and wasn't interested in them so they were taken down. I got the message that we were just there to entertain the moderator and if the moderator wasn't amused then we couldn't have a voice.

And it seemed to me the topics that were popular were flaming, name calling, poor use of language and just outright drama--because that's what entertained that moderator. Each forum was totally a relection of whoever was moderating each one.

But that's a brief snapshot of one Marvel site and I'm sure there were others with a different character. I wouldn't want to make the mistake, like some here re: the DCMBs, of judging all Marvel message boards for all time based on my own anecdotal experience.

If it hadn't been for the DCMBs, I probably would have bought very few new comics or TPBs in the first decade of the 21st century. By that time I wasn't much interested in the DCU or the new writers and artists. And I was having a lot of money problems--so I couldnt afford to throw my money away on stuff that didn't interest me. The DCMBs kept me involved with comics.

They steered me toward DC comics I liked. And I was often buying the floppies or the TPBs so I could post about them on the relevant DC fora. In fact, it would have been more cost effective to buy trades, but I kept buying certain monthlies so I could stay involved in the converation on the DCMBs. And it wasn't just DC comics--since comics from all publishers were discussed there. As a direct result of the DCMBs, I was trying out comics from Marvel, Image, Darkhorse, Wildstorm and the independents.

The DCMBs are chiefly responsible for all the comics, trades and hardcovers I own from between 2000 and 2010.
    I'm with you, Man! Even after the books got kinda bad, it was fun to buy them and talk about them on those boards. People were so into them. I think DC made a big mistake taking them down. PS, over moderated message boards are the worst. I don't even post on that garbage.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Superdoom View Post
    I'm with you, Man! Even after the books got kinda bad, it was fun to buy them and talk about them on those boards. People were so into them. I think DC made a big mistake taking them down. PS, over moderated message boards are the worst. I don't even post on that garbage.
    Finally! someone who shares my p.o.v. That's such a relief. I was starting to get a complex.

Those forums were pretty funny sometimes. I was on there from about 2007-2008 or 9. One thing I didn't like was going in the Justice League forum, or General DC forum--I can't remember which--and seeing a bunch of topics specifically about Marvel. I never understood why posters would go to a DC forum to discuss Marvel comics.

I remember posters literally wishing death on other posters, which, I guess may be morbid and sad, was actually pretty hilarious sometimes, given the circumstances and specific manner of the posts.

Well, since we're all admitting to our previous message board sins, I was a member from....something like 1996 to the day they shut the boards down. I was still in high school at the time I first joined. At one point, I was even the OP of the forums' longest running thread, which was a joke thread making fun of HEAT and calling for the inclusion of Freakazoid in the Young Justice comic that was being done by David and Nygen. Actually ended up having lots of conversations with Nygen in those days, (gods I hope Im spelling his name right!) and he drew me, some of our other members, and our name (FLIP) into several issues of YJ.

The DCMB could be a real mess, especially towards the end, but a lot of good people posted there and a lot of good conversations were had too. And in a way, I almost miss the lack of moderation; although people got way too rude and off topic way too often, it was still interesting (sometimes) to see how a conversation would flow and move in different directions.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

BANNED

I used to post there but stopped after I discovered CBR. The reason I like it here is because it's moderated and the fact that it has an ignore list. So trolls and other toxic people who can't behave either get banned or people stop responding to them and they just leave. Lends for better quality discussions. I did like the DCMB Nightwing forum though. That was a great and intelligent bunch.

Quote Originally Posted by upgrayedd View Post
    I was there too. The one thing I miss about it was the size of the community. Here it is pretty much the same people all the time.
    I noticed that with the reboot of the forums last year. The pool of posters has gotten smaller. I think it has to do with the fact that you had to re-register even if you were an old poster. People who don't or didn't realize this couldn't gain access and probably just gave up.
    Last edited by Mia; 06-20-2015 at 02:30 PM.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    I never posted at all at the DCMB myself, but it doesn't appear I missed much.
    It was a frustrating experience most of the time. Half the time, you'd wonder if the thread you were interested in would ever load, and if you were fortunate enough that it did, you only had a 50% chance at best that your reply would post successfully.

And those are just those forums' TECHNICAL limitations. Its social problems are already well-documented.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Last edited by Buried Alien; 06-22-2015 at 12:10 AM.
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014