Default My Amazing Spider-Man #1 Experience

So I went to the Dan Slott signing at Midtown Comics today. I was told he was signing 2 books per person so I brought my copies of 600, 700, and a variant 700, and Superior 1 because I couldnt decide which I wanted to get signed. And then when I got there, I spent over $60 on variants of the new #1 including the Midtown Comics exclusive connecting cover-which I decided to get signed along with 700. Now I had been to the Times Square store and Grand Central store, both of which had plenty of room for people to wait in line inside. But the geniuses at the downtown location had us wait outside in the freezing, pouring rain. With plenty of room inside the store, they made us stand outside in the rain with our comics that we just bought so they could "keep doing business". If your in the comic book business you should know that the comic books arch enemy is water. Geniuses.

It wasnt all bad, Mr Dan Slott was just so freaking cool. He even told me about an upcoming spoilery scene that he said I reminded him of (I was soaking wet and it must have looked kinda funny). So at this point Im thinkin "3 hours in the freezin rain, but totally worth it".

Here's where things just happend too fast. The Midtown Comics guy grabs my exclusive Midtown Variant book that I just got signed, and in his rush to get to the next person (while I was talking to Slott) this guy puts my book on the counter behind the umbrella bags....... In a freaking puddle. 3 hours of suffering outside in terrible weather to keep my books dry and this guy puts it down on a wet counter. Of course I wasnt allowed to get back in line and was practically pushed out of the store when I asked about getting another copy. I was so upset about my sopping wet signed variant, that I didnt realize I had been rushed out the door by the super staff before I had a chance to put my bags of books under my hoodie and now they were getting soaked too. So thanks downtown Midtown Comics for ruining more than just my day. I cant even bring myself to read it yet because Im still so mad.

That sucks. Sorry to hear that.

My experiences with the store were generally positive. You could try to ask for replacements for some of the comics on a day when they're not so busy.

It seems to me that the book they put on the counter is on them.
    Last edited by Mister Mets; 04-30-2014 at 07:21 PM.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

formerly 'saucemaster' saucemaster's Avatar

That sucks. A lot of us fans were excited about today! Sorry to hear that yours was ruined. If your book was damaged while it was in their hands, they definitely should give you a replacement. I know it probably won't be signed, but at least you will have it and I'm sure there will be another opportunity to get Dan Slott to sign it. I've never met him, but I understand he is fairly approachable and makes appearances often.

I used to shop at Midtown when I lived in NYC, and from what I remember it was like a puppy mill (but for comics). I never enjoyed shopping there.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

And these stores wonder why people go digital...

Fantastic Member

I bought it in digital. My physical sub is getting picked up tomorrow. I only buy the physical ones to get them signed later... Sorry to hear about your experience. There's a reason that I don't do business with Midtown Comics. I go to Comics-N-More.

Greetings, Chicken!!! Mantis Girl 94's Avatar

What a crappy experience for you.

I hope someone from MTC reads this

Brutal, man. I'm not a fan of Midtown myself. I used to go to their Times Square location years ago because it was between my subway stop and the port authority back into Jersey. Always crowded, high prices, lousy service. I'm sorry that happened to you.

But, yeah. Dan is definitely a cool guy.
    Nichols is my middle name...

That sucks. I'm sorry to hear your experience wasn't positive. I don't get to the city too often but I always make it a point to swing by and check out Midtown Comics when I do. The last time I was there was like 2 weeks before Christmas on a Monday so it wasn't bad at all.

It's great to hear that Slott was a good guy. I would expect him to be but still good to hear.

BANNED

Slott made reference to the drenched fans on his facebook. It's been a lousy week for weather everywhere I'm afraid.

BANNED

Hope you can get it replaced, man.

Astonishing Member

I hope you get the chance to get another signed copy. Remember the days when everyone was in line for Todd McFarlane to sign they Spider-Man #1(1990) as well. A mirror experience. Things will turn out for the better.

dude, that sucks. Hopefully you can get it replaced. Its a good read so dont let the store's policies ruin it for you.... but man id have to skip on going back.

That is brutal man, sorry to hear about that experience. I am not from the east coast but hearing things like that make me not want to visit those stores!

I'm sorry to hear that stuff happened, I know something like that would put a stink on the day. I definitely wouldn't go shopping at that store again. Maybe Dan can send you a no prize for having the restraint not to blow up on the guy who wrecked your comic. He haunts these forums pretty regularly.

Man that sucks. Please make sure you send them an email explaining what happened and politely request them to fix it and then let us know what happened.