Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Why London?

Ultimate Member

Here's her reasoning, she likes the place and wants to live there. There doesn't need to be any bigger "connection" than that.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    Because i enjoy reading stories where she interacts with Steve Trevor and A.R.G.U.S. or some other sort of U.S. government agency(i.e. I.A.D.C.). Plus, if she's going to be a member of the Justice League of America(like she currently is and has been in the past) then it makes sense that she would reside in the USA.
    The JL has been "of America" for a LONG TIME!! The fact that they even still use that moniker is dumb. Heck they have the freaking KING of another country as one of their members.

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    I like the idea of London:

-It's not a generic American city, nor a made-up "DC city."
    -It's an interesting place.
    -It's got LOTS of history (including Roman) going back thousands of years with many different groups.
    -We don't get to see a lot of it in the DCU.

I guess my question would be, why not? And putting her in Greece, or the Middle East, or North Africa sounds kind of cliché to me. "Oh she's from a culture that has ties to those places, so of course she should live there." But that token, I should be living in either Munich or Glasgow right now, but I'm not.
    One problem they haven't built of as to why should we care. They aren't making it her second home she just there. I mean Gotham? Metropolis we see how they fit but we haven't seen her interacted with anyone in London. So when we have a person who just lives there why should we care. She just there. Also you aren't immortal are you? I mean it's not generic if you can make it work and with immortal women who have lived there why not. There could be things she finds out. It's not the end point but how she gets to the end point that matters and nothing has made Diana stand with the city as her's. She just there with a lovely city but not connection we see she keeps to herself and had really no friends so how can this be a home

How can we has readers just no see world building at long. Also Yea Chain and Azz opened the world but we only have it in write not in visuals. We see what tehy did but they placed her there with no reason as to how or why there. We have to care where characters live. I mean I don't care about the amazons or where they live now since how it was handle with Azz until the end and now the finches
    Last edited by AmiMizuno; 06-20-2015 at 11:42 AM.

Here's her reasoning, she likes the place and wants to live there. There doesn't need to be any bigger "connection" than that.
    One problem with you logic no interactive. Yes there does Clark/Superman has that connection/ Gotham with Batman has that connection. You can just say she lives that. We have to see it not hear it. What if we never saw Clark be Clark no Job no nothing. W ejust heard him say I work here but never see how he interacts with the people. THis is the problem with no interaction we can just say she likes it it doesn't work like that we have to have world building. World Building is very important to how the character is and why they live there.It basic character development. I mean Paradise Island didnt get that much as to why the raids we have to guess due to doom gate or for their sick pleasure. I mean what skills do they have. What other do they beside fighting games for fun. It seems they like to read. We didn't know why they left why they are cool heart until after everything . The Amazins although few truthed someone else than their own Princess turned Queen. Somehow Diana is the only nice one we have seen
    Last edited by AmiMizuno; 06-20-2015 at 11:16 AM.

The JL has been "of America" for a LONG TIME!! The fact that they even still use that moniker is dumb. Heck they have the freaking KING of another country as one of their members.
    No it's not it symbolizes the branch of the many different JLs there is JL of Europe. It's because of where they are not who they have. It mainly just called the JL but there are a few times they are specific of the branches.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Outside_85 View Post
    Think ARGUS is a bit bigger than a US bureau... reminds me, wasn't Trevor speaking to UN handlers in JL #7?

The Justice League of America also features a monarch from a different nation and an alien who doesn't hold a US citizenship and most people think lives in the Arctic. I don't think it's membership is determined by where the members live. Aside that the 'of America' part could simply reflect where the team is based.

Clark obviously has U.S. citizenship if he works at the Daily Planet or at Kat Grant's blog(or whatever it is). While Aquaman is(or seemingly was as of the newest issue) the monarch of Atlantis, he also has a home in the lighthouse which is in a city within USA territory. Diana is the only one who only resides outside of the USA at the moment.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Clark does. Superman doesn't. Until this month really, the public didn't know Superman had a day job.

So the common theme is they are places that either needed Diana or she needed it as part of her function as a superhero.

Difference is that they've now been with us for so long that they've achieved a life of their own, they've become archetypes of their own.

Truth be told, I wouldn't mind knowing why she picked it as well. But going by the notion that she can afford an apartment like that, I image she could pick and choose where to live in the world. I don't think she's lived there since day one, but I guess she might have gotten tired of being followed around by soldiers wherever she went.

I could probably appreciate Diana living in London if we knew she had a good reason for setting up shop there. At the same time, I'm nervous that if the Finchs resolve that plot-line of Azz's too, there will be another round of people crying foul play an insisting that the Finchs should have handled it better even though the previous writer didn't handle it at all.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

No need for all of the exclamation points. I'm just the messenger here. I don't decide what the team calls itself.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    I think he just wanted a tough, chain smoking English guy like Lennox in the cast, so set her in London so the two could meet.
    If that was the reason, he could have put the setting in Leeds, Manchester, York or Constantine's hometown of Liverpool.

Clark obviously has U.S. citizenship if he works at the Daily Planet or at Kat Grant's blog(or whatever it is). While Aquaman is(or seemingly was as of the newest issue) the monarch of Atlantis, he also has a home in the lighthouse which is in a city within USA territory. Diana is the only one who only resides outside of the USA at the moment.
    Like I said before: Clark has a US citizenship, Superman does not. The public does (or did) not know about Clark Kent, they only know Superman.
    Aquaman may have that lighthouse, but he spends something like 95% of his time in the other house, when everyone down there aren't out to kill him. (Seriously, how often does he have to go through Mera and the entire kingdom turning on him?)

And still, why is it a criteria to live in the US to be member of a team that responds to global situations? (Btw, the team is still just called Justice League, 'of America' is now just the header of a book the same team appears in)

I could probably appreciate Diana living in London if we knew she had a good reason for setting up shop there. At the same time, I'm nervous that if the Finchs resolve that plot-line of Azz's too, there will be another round of people crying foul play an insisting that the Finchs should have handled it better even though the previous writer didn't handle it at all.
    What if her reason is: "I like it here." ? I mean, where you live also has something to do with personal preferences.

People cry foul over the Finch's, not because they choose to resolve things, but because they resolve things in the worst possible fashion.
    If they or DC editorial didn't like the Manazons staying on Paradise Island, they could just have written a line about them going home after the fight the the First Born and his forces rather than staying. Result is that DC's issue is solved, and we wouldn't have had to cry foul over the butchering of Donna Troy's character, that of the Amazons and not make Diana look totally incompetent.

What if her reason is: "I like it here." ? I mean, where you live also has something to do with personal preferences.

My only thing is that we need to see why she likes it she has never express that. I mean I can tell you why I love my city but still she likes it but why doe she like it when it seems she doesn't do much when she first was shown living there. Also I think it's where wasn't there a JL of Europe to me the watch tower is a nice place for a homebase but each has their own base if you can call it that. I mean if there are own JL out there is previous comics I see no reason for them to call it JL of American unless it dealing for that group and them . There is a JL of Magic or something right. If need it they just go. I mean the Teen Titans have a different branches in different locations. I mean there is nothing wrong if they are first time. JLA is just dealing with the time and JL would be fine no need to be JLA since we are talking about all of JL but I wonder how man different countries were the JL bases in?
    Last edited by AmiMizuno; 06-20-2015 at 11:58 AM.

If that was the reason, he could have put the setting in Leeds, Manchester, York or Constantine's hometown of Liverpool.

Like I said before: Clark has a US citizenship, Superman does not. The public does (or did) not know about Clark Kent, they only know Superman.
    Aquaman may have that lighthouse, but he spends something like 95% of his time in the other house, when everyone down there aren't out to kill him. (Seriously, how often does he have to go through Mera and the entire kingdom turning on him?)

And still, why is it a criteria to live in the US to be member of a team that responds to global situations? (Btw, the team is still just called Justice League, 'of America' is now just the header of a book the same team appears in)

People cry foul over the Finch's, not because they choose to resolve things, but because they resolve things in the worst possible fashion.
    If they or DC editorial didn't like the Manazons staying on Paradise Island, they could just have written a line about them going home after the fight the the First Born and his forces rather than staying. Result is that DC's issue is solved, and we wouldn't have had to cry foul over the butchering of Donna Troy's character, that of the Amazons and not make Diana look totally incompetent.

IF Diana lives in London because she "likes it there", then I would like to see why she first visited London the first time and what about it she likes. As of now, it's like she(or Azzarello) put up a map of the world, threw a dart, and it landed on London.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    My only thing is that we need to see why she likes it she has never express that. I mean I can tell you why I love my city but still she likes it but why doe she like it when it seems she doesn't do muchwhen she first was shown living there
    Wasn't this actually touched on in Superman/Wonder Woman around the Doomed opening? Something about London giving Diana easy access to a multitude of cultures? (And Superman being baffled about what Diana could bring herself to eat)

IF Diana lives in London because she "likes it there", then I would like to see why she first visited London the first time and what about it she likes. As of now, it's like she(or Azzarello) put up a map of the world, threw a dart, and it landed on London.
    They'd have to be very good at darts to hit this target at random and not the sea

Astonishing Member

However, even though she wasn't born in the US she was written to be a US Hero.
    Well, she was made to be a hero of the "Free World"; but how different would she have been, even in the Golden Age, if Steve Trevor had been a captain in the United Kingdom's Royal Air Force instead of the USAF? Upon taking Steve home, she still could have fought against Nazis and for liberty--and she still would have had reason to wear red, white and blue, though maybe a few details of the costume would have been different. I think any differences would have been pretty superficial.

Besides it doesn't make sense when we think about it why not take Diana to Turkey, Greek, Libya, or any places where the amazons lived instead. Diana was written to be a US Hero but she is an international hero might as well make sense to give her a home where her family once lived.
    Not everyone who moves out of their country moves somewhere that was once connected to their family.

They LAUGHED at my theory SteveGus's Avatar

I had always assumed that she ended up in London as part of the fallout of Flashpoint. Which I would have preferred not to be reminded of, either.

Just as long as she doesn't get portrayed with that accent.
    "At what point do we say, 'You're mucking with our myths'?" - Harlan Ellison

Incredible Member Amazon Swordsman's Avatar

However, even though she wasn't born in the US she was written to be a US Hero. Besides it doesn't make sense when we think about it why not take Diana to Turkey, Greek, Libya, or any places where the amazons lived instead. Diana was written to be a US Hero but she is an international hero might as well make sense to give her a home where her family once lived.
    This is true. We can't ignore that fact that WW was created by an American male with an American audience in mind. But that has never stopped her from being a global, international hero. I know people wanted a bigger world representational setting for her, but we can't simply wipe away all the years of American iconography associated with her.