Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Default Besides a return to Pre-Flashpoint DCU what other problems could the next Crisis fix?

DC is not going to undo the New 52 reboot in the next Crisis. But there are a number of things that can be fixed in the possible upcoming event. Darkseid and the Anti-Monitor are about to have a reality shaking throw down. A battle between the two most powerful evil entities in the DCU could have far reaching implications. What things in the New 52 need to be altered or down right done away with?

First thing that comes to mind is Pandora. She was set up to be a huge force in the New 52 but has so far sputtered out. She helped Flash rearrange reality and appeared in every first issue of the relaunch. But in her own series she doesn't seem to have cosmic powers and Johns has already contridicted her origin in the pages of Justice League. Pandora warned Flash of a coming disaster that he and the other heroes would have to prepare for. I can't think of anything more dangerous than Darkseid and the Anti-Monitor. So this could be an opportunity to bring her prophecy and potential to fruition.

A franchise that desperately needs some retcons is Teen Titans. A series that should be one of DC's flagship books has become one of its worst. Everything that has happened to Bart, Connor, and Solstice needs to be fixed.

A massive Crisis is an opportunity to reestablish some of the Wildstorm characters. It seemed like they wanted Stormwatch to be major players in the New 52. But the book lacked direction and the constant creative team changes ended up killing it. I think Stormwatch could work well as a multiverse hopping team. But I don't think tptb were going to allow any book to delve into the multiverse until Grant's Multiversity happened. He had dibs on fleshing out the 52 earths and no one other than Johns was probably allowed to go exploring. After Multiversity and this Crisis I think more books will be allowed to play in the multiverse. Stormwatch and Booster Gold come to mind. Hell, this Crisis would be a great time to finally launch a new Wildcats book.
    Last edited by Robotman; 05-26-2014 at 06:53 PM.

Always Rakzo

Connor? As in Connor Hawke? What happened to him?

I'm not counting Earth 2's Not-Connor (Yes, this is a character who truly deserves to be called "Not" because they not only changed his appearance but also his basic premise and personality).

Astonishing Member AlexanderLuthor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    DC is not going to undo the New 52 reboot in the next Crisis. But there are a number of things that can be fixed in the possible upcoming event. Darkseid and the Anti-Monitor are about to have a reality shaking throw down. A battle between the two most powerful evil entities in the DCU could have far reaching implications. What things in the New 52 need to be altered or down right done away with?

First thing that comes to mind is Pandora. She was set up to be a huge force in the New 52 but has so far sputtered out. She helped Flash rearrange reality and appeared in every first issue of the relaunch. But in her own series she doesn't seem to have cosmic powers and Johns has already contridicted her origin in the pages of Justice League. Pandora warned Flash of a coming disaster that he and the other heroes would have to prepare for. I can't think of anything more dangerous than Darkseid and the Anti-Monitor. So this could be an opportunity to bring her prophecy and potential to fruition.

A franchise that desperately needs some retcons is Teen Titans. A series that should be one of DC's flagship books has become one of its worst. Everything that has happened to Bart, Connor, and Solstice needs to be fixed.

A massive Crisis is an opportunity to reestablish some of the Wildstorm characters. It seemed like they wanted Stormwatch to be major players in the New 52. But the book lacked direction and the constant creative team changes ended up killing it. I think Stormwatch could work well as a multiverse hopping team. But I don't think tptb were going to allow any book to delve into the multiverse until Grant's Multiversity happened. He had dibs on fleshing out the 52 earths and no one other than Johns was probably allowed to go exploring. After Multiversity and this Crisis I think more books will be allowed to play in the multiverse. Stormwatch and Booster Gold come to mind. Hell, this Crisis would be a great time to finally launch a new Wildcats book.
    I think you hit on the major things that could/should be fixed. And I agree with you, there is not going to be a complete undoing of the New 52. People who think that are thinking with the heart and not their head. But I do think that this event will open the multiverse, with a set of rules, that can be used across the line. I also think it opens up the possibility of an Earth-2 style book for whichever Earth contains the pre-Flashpoint DCU (and maybe the pre COIE DCU as well). That book could be a nice nod to fans, have some really interesting stories and be a good seller - if done correctly of course

I'd really like to see the Robin situation modified. Its just way too convoluted.

Astonishing Member AlexanderLuthor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    I'd really like to see the Robin situation modified. Its just way too convoluted.
    That won't/can't happen...it would stretch the timeline for every other character in the DCU

Quote Originally Posted by AlexanderLuthor View Post
    That won't/can't happen...it would stretch the timeline for every other character in the DCU
    Plus all of the Robins are marketable. So they aren't going to get rid of them for financial reasons. The Batfamily is DC's biggest seller. I think they have a more-the-merrier approach to them.

Well since the new 52 is supposed to be a reboot they should go all the way back to when Dick Grayson was Robin and have the original sidekicks start the Teen Titans.

penetrator of things

Quote Originally Posted by byrd156 View Post
    Well since the new 52 is supposed to be a reboot they should go all the way back to when Dick Grayson was Robin and have the original sidekicks start the Teen Titans.
    That would be the definition of awful.
    hi my name is tako and i like to grow leeks
    @takoleeks

Amazing Member

I personally don't like the fact that the original Teen Titans never existed. Unfortunately, the new Crisis won't fix that.

Quote Originally Posted by byrd156 View Post
    I am NOT comics.

Quote Originally Posted by AlexanderLuthor View Post
    Any retcon can happen, that's the whole point of retconning, to change something that can't be realistically altered through the natural course of a narrative.

That said, it definitely would be a particularly difficult thing to fix. Based on that I don't think anything will be done in this arena.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 05-26-2014 at 08:00 PM.

I wouldn't mind if they stretched it a bit more, maybe added another year or two from when Darkseid attacked to the #1 issues. So instead of 5, it was 7 years later. Also would help a lot of Grayson was under Bruce's tutelage prior to the attack of Darkseid but wasn't Robin yet. Just a couple of minor things like that.

Oh and for the love of god, Tim Drake was Robin at one point and didn't always use the Red Robin name.

while i love the original crisis, and some of the others. I do nt believe they fix anything, they seem to give us at best a short term bump. Seems like overall it just creates more problems.

Astonishing Member

A lot of books have room for improvement and major overhauls obviously, but really the only thing that actually needs an outright reboot is Teen Titans, including the origin of every single character.

Mighty Member

More than a few costumes could use some tweeking. Does Arsenal still wear a cap? Maybe some of the Flash's Rogues could lose their powers ala Captain Cold.