Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
    DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    The way I envision "COIE 2014" is that the heroes have the opposite problem that they did in COIE 1985: instead of infinite universes being sent to oblivion, the mulitiverse breeds parallel worlds out of control. What was previously a manageable 52 universes begins to grow like a cancer, resulting in a dangerously unstable multiverse. The goal, therefore, is to slow/stop the out-of-control replication of parallel universes, but who should get the axe? Just one of numerous dilemmas the heroes would need to deal with.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    You have alluded to something like this in the past and I think it's a brilliant idea, BA.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Quote Originally Posted by Melwicker View Post
    But it is much too soon to create a new Crisis similar to CoIE. The New 52 is still relatively young compared to pre-Flashpoint and pre-COIE continuities. The New 52 has only been around since 2011 or 2012, not nearly enough time for it to age comfortably. This multiverse is still being built and it is still growing.
    The New 52 is too young to have it's continuity be replaced or retconned this soon.
    If you dislike something, nothing is too young to be replaced. How many of my generation wanted the same thing right after COIE? I know some on this site may think the fan base back then was unanimous in praise of replacing the original universe with the DCU, but, believe me, that was certainly not the case.

Having said all that, I agree with you that DC has zero plans about another reboot so soon.

Incredible Member PennyDreadful's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    If you dislike something, nothing is too young to be replaced. How many of my generation wanted the same thing right after COIE? I know some on this site may think the fan base back then was unanimous in praise of replacing the original universe with the DCU, but, believe me, that was certainly not the case.

Having said all that, I agree with you that DC has zero plans about another reboot so soon.
    Perhaps not. But I doubt the new 52 will last as long as the last DCU. If there's a serious drop in sales, they'll reboot again. I predict a Zero Hour-type fix in the meantime.

I'd prefer they just use the Multiverse, myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Herowatcher View Post
    A return to the original multiverse would be great. Heroes returning to their original Earths would make it less crowded on a single one.
    Superman can go back to being the first hero on Earth-1 and Wonder Woman can get her clay-birth origin returned. Dick, Donna, Roy, Garth
    and Wally can be young teenagers and the original Teen Titans again. We can ditch all the high-collar costumes and return originality.

I'd love to see stories of Captain Atom and The Question on Earth-4, Captain Marvel on Earth-S and the Justice Society of America on Earth-2.
    The latter would be definitely a boon for those characters created outside of DC in comparison with those created by DC with similar powers. For instance, Captain Marvel (still have a problem calling him that other name ) could be just as powerful as Superman, as was the case before COIE.

I wish they'd just create an earth for the legacy heroes. Reportedly, Multiversity will feature just such an earth. To be honest, it would be a breath of fresh air if handled properly.

Quote Originally Posted by PennyDreadful View Post
    Perhaps not. But I doubt the new 52 will last as long as the last DCU. If there's a serious drop in sales, they'll reboot again. I predict a Zero Hour-type fix in the meantime.
    I agree a significant drop in sales would be the (only) factor for a reboot, as was the case regarding the preceding ones. Can't fairly compare it to the creation of the DCU, though, since the latter universe operated in a market far larger than the DCnU has to work with now.

I'd prefer they just use the Multiverse, myself.
    I have been a Multiverse fan for 40-something years now. I have never understood any of the arguments for the destruction of it back in the '80s.

Quote Originally Posted by PennyDreadful View Post
    I wish they'd just create an earth for the legacy heroes. Reportedly, Multiversity will feature just such an earth. To be honest, it would be a breath of fresh air if handled properly.
    I would have absolutely no problem with that. If the fan base would support it, I say full speed ahead!

Preferably a world of legacies who act like heroes and whose limbs aren't ripped off every other panel. That's not too much to ask, is it?

I understand that Earth 2 has become pretty grim lately. True?

Not just grim, but absolutely dire. I've said it before, but it bears repeating: DC is still treating its founding golden age characters as second-stringers. They've been stripped of all history and growth and relationships and dumped on an alternate Earth that's almost literally going to hell. And then they're pushed to the side for months in favor of an evil Superman.

DC utilizing the multiverse would be a fine solution as far as I'm concerned. If we can't go back to a universe I enjoy reading, then give me an alternative to the New 52. I'd love a "DC classics" universe, or one where the legacy characters are the A-listers now, with sidekicks of their own. I'd like to buy more DC, and all they have to do is give me something I can enjoy reading!
    Last edited by andersonh1; 06-03-2014 at 01:15 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by andersonh1 View Post
    Not just grim, but absolutely dire. I've said it before, but it bears repeating: DC is still treating its founding golden age characters as second-stringers. They've been stripped of all history and growth and relationships and dumped on an alternate Earth that's almost literally going to hell. And then they're pushed to the side for months in favor of an evil Superman.

DC utilizing the multiverse would be a fine solution as far as I'm concerned. If we can't go back to a universe I enjoy reading, then give me an alternative to the New 52. I'd love a "DC classics" universe, or one where the legacy characters are the A-listers now, with sidekicks of their own. I'd like to buy more DC, and all they have to do is give me something I can enjoy reading!
    How exactly can a DC's "founding golden age characters" be "pushed to the side" in favor of Superman. Superman is THE golden age founding character.

Quote Originally Posted by GlennSimpson View Post
    How exactly can a DC's "founding golden age characters" be "pushed to the side" in favor of Superman. Superman is THE golden age founding character.
    He's not the only one, you know. And the Superman in Earth 2 bears little resemblance to Golden Age Superman, in any case.