Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Last Days Ms. Marvel #16 Spoilers

Although this was a sad fair well, for now, of Kamalas Story, (she reappears in Secret Wars, Inhumans Attilan Rising, and FCBD Avengers), it puts Kamala in a situation a young person shouldn't be put in - the end of the world and all its responsibility. I'm suppose it's a death of sorts. Everybody she loves dies together at the same time, like a car crash. But then the scum bags come along, even while she tries to sort out the problems too hard for someone like Kamala.

spoilers:
    Kamala is eating hot dogs to forget Kamran these last 3 weeks, when panic comes down the street in a wild crowd trying to escape something. She doesn't know what it is, and goes across the west river to Manhattan, and there she sees it. A planet coming straight at us. She doesn't panic at all. Kamala mentions she has to go to New Attalan to see Queen Medusa. She sees it as another something the heroes can handle like they always do. But when she rushes back home in Jersey, she finds Kamran ranting his same old racist stuff, drugging her parents and ready to green mist Aamir her brother. He leaves and she has to pick herself up, and go organise everyone into the School. She has to get some air, and then Captain Marvel flies down beside her.
    end of spoilers

I didn't know New Attilan was made before Secret Wars. When did that happen?

And how is Carol Danvers here in this precise spot in Jersey on the roof of a school, when in Secret Wars #1, she is collecting Raftees? Maybe this is just before the alert went out that this is it? I am particularly impressed with Carols use of small talk to calm the teenager in that situation, when Carol could have went cold and ordered Kamala about. But Carol didn't. She started with calming Kamala down first, before the heavy stuff.

I have to say this is another one of the good pre-Incursion books about the man on the streets reactions to what is happening. The panic, the looting, the barricading themselves in, and getting essentials organised, the looking after Kamals friends and family, and even the deadbeat ex-boyfriends flying visit at the last moment thinking his issues are more important than the "distraction". (It's why Magneto in his LD's issue this week, reverted back to form, while Sentinels tried to distract him too. Instead of continuing his mutant vendetta, he just rolled up his sleeves to save everything). The communications were still working, so Magnetos absorbing electro-magnetic everything hasn't happened yet.

But the pacing was excellent. In a situation when the invading armies of the enemy come rolling into your city, destroying and blowing it all up, this is what happens as the citizens organise what they can. It's a pretty poignant demonstration of siege mentality.
    Last edited by jackolover; 06-20-2015 at 10:05 PM.

Hamburgers? She's eating hot dogs (kosher ones, too).
    She is Kamala Khan... The Magnificent Ms. Marvel!

She says hamburgers, but yeah, it looks like dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by jackolover View Post
    She says hamburgers, but yeah, it looks like dogs.
    I've got the issue, and Kamala clearly does not say hamburgers. She calls them "Doom Dogs".

I wanna be your lover... emac1790's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Myetche View Post
    I've got the issue, and Kamala clearly does not say hamburgers. She calls them "Doom Dogs".
    And in her internal narration, she calls them "hot dogs" and she's at a hot dog cart that doesn't sell burgers(not on the menu, as seen in the artwork)

Ms. Marvel V2014 #16 - Last Days Part One (2015) - Page 3.jpg

On the next page she calls them "doom dogs"

(BTW, Ol Dirty Mustard and mild sauce for Sucka M.C.'s sounds delicious.)
    What U putting in your nose?
    Is that where all your money goes (Is that where your money goes)
    The river of addiction flows
    U think it's hot, but there won't be no water
    When the fire blows

First they came for the mutants, and I said nothing. Then they came for the chickens, and still I said nothing... -cyberhubbs

Interesting to look at this not as a Ms. Marvel issue, but as a Secret Wars tie-in. For instance, I didn't know that around this time, Carol is supposed to one of those helping with the rafts in the main book. Makes me wonder about the timeframe of the final incursion.

Then it was hot dogs. Changed it.
    Last edited by jackolover; 06-20-2015 at 10:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Xalfrea View Post
    Interesting to look at this not as a Ms. Marvel issue, but as a Secret Wars tie-in. For instance, I didn't know that around this time, Carol is supposed to one of those helping with the rafts in the main book. Makes me wonder about the timeframe of the final incursion.
    I'm thinking Carol went to check on Kamala before her own LD's, and then Secret wars #1.

Thought the issue was great.

Found the lead Muslim character drowning her blues at a hot dog stand With the anology of it being a bar interesting.

Was this a art mistake where it should of been more clearly stated what kind of meat the hot dogs where made of. Or was this meant to be shown that Kamala was questioning her beliefs? Like a person who faces tragedystress and turns towards a crutch they normally wouldn't? Is she having a breakdown and doing hot dogs instead of heroin?

Really really really hope the subplot with her brother isn't completely destroyed by secret wars. His teragenosis could be extremely interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Xalfrea View Post
    the time frame was supposed to be one hour.

But we are gonna say because the multiverse contracts on itself so much it became a really long hour and notion of time turned terribly loosed.

Hamburgers? She's eating hot dogs (kosher ones, too).
    She can eat Kosher, it has stricter guidelines then Halaal.
    Last edited by ExodusCloak; 06-21-2015 at 08:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ExodusCloak View Post
    She can eat Kosher, it has stricter guidelines then Halaal.
    I think an animal must be slaughtered by a muslim butcher for its meat to be Halaal, but I guess some muslims are more strict than others.

Quote Originally Posted by FriendRoss View Post
    Thought the issue was great.

Found the lead Muslim character drowning her blues at a hot dog stand With the anology of it being a bar interesting.

Was this a art mistake where it should of been more clearly stated what kind of meat the hot dogs where made of. Or was this meant to be shown that Kamala was questioning her beliefs? Like a person who faces tragedystress and turns towards a crutch they normally wouldn't? Is she having a breakdown and doing hot dogs instead of heroin?
    The sign next to the hot dog stand has a Kosher K on it, so it's all good.

I kept looking for it all spelled out. And to be honest I wasn't sure if "kosher" was a Muslim thing, thought it was just Jewish terminology.

Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by FriendRoss View Post
    I kept looking for it all spelled out. And to be honest I wasn't sure if "kosher" was a Muslim thing, thought it was just Jewish terminology.

Thank you
    It's a jewish thing, but muslims can eat meat that is kosher. It's slaughtered in a similar fashion and the prayer said with the slaughter for muslims would be fine cause they consider judaism and christianity their extended family e.g. it's the same God but the converse isn't true that's why I don't think jewish people can eat halaal meat. But muslims can definitely eat kosher meat.