Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default X-Men: The Animated Series Appreciation Thread

X-Men: The Animated Series

A change is coming. A new breed of man, gifted with strange and frightening powers, has emerged. Many of these mutants believe they should rule—and that open conflict with the human majority is inevitable. Hated and feared by those they've sworn to protect, one group stands in defense of a world on the brink of genetic war. Cyclops. Wolverine. Storm. Jean Grey. Rogue. Beast. Gambit. Jubilee. Students of Professor Charles Xavier. Mutants all, children of the atom who have banded together to defend their kind from prejudice and persecution. United, they form a team dedicated to bringing humanity together in peace. Stan Lee presents… X-Men: The Animated Series.

At the height of the X-Men's popularity in the (love or hate) 90s era, Fox debuted X-Men: The Animated Series on Oct 31st, 1992. The series was Marvel's second attempt to at animated X-Men after their failed "Pryde of the X-Men". The series was developed around the Claremont/Byrne/Cockrum era, using Jim Lee's designs, set in the (then) modern 90s using the main comic cast at that time. During this five season run they retold many classic X-Stories: Phoenix Saga, Proteus, Dark Phoenix Saga, Days of Future Past, Fall of the Mutants, X-tinction Agenda, Mutant Genesis, Phalanx Covenant, Age of Apocalypse, etc. The series ended on Sept 20th, 1997.

The animated series is Marvel's longest running cartoon at 76 episodes. Spider-Man: The Animated series comes in second with 65 episodes, including a two part episode "Mutant Agenda" which brings the animated X-Men cast over to the Spider-Man cartoon. Storm, would later return in the final season for a "Secret Wars" four part episode.

The show was both acclaimed and commercially successful. Along with Batman: The Animated Series, the series success helped launch numerous comic book shows in the 1990s. In its prime, X-Men garnered very high ratings for a Saturday morning cartoon, and like Batman: The Animated Series, it received wide critical praise for its portrayal of many different storylines from the comics and adult themes. In 2009, IGN ranked X-Men as the 13th greatest animated show of all time in their Top 100 list, the third-highest standing for a comic book-adapted show on the list. The show also ranks in at 106 on IMDB's Highest Rated TV Shows with At Least 5,000 Votes. A spin-off titled "X-Men Adventures" ran along side the series and printed the retold cartoon episodes in comic form. The entire series is now available on DVD, but prior it was one of the most requested TV on DVDs.

Many fanboys and non-fanboys alike credit the series as their first exposure to the X-Men. The cast remains to be the most well known X-team to date, as well as some of the most well known comic characters. Celebrate, appreciate, and love not hate the best there is at what they do, the strangest teens of all... X-Men: The Animated Series!
    Last edited by NewMutant; 11-07-2014 at 10:56 AM.

This show was my childhood. The theme song is seared into my brain. I was devastated when they took it off NetFlix.

I haven't watched this show since I was a little kid, but I loved it back then. I'm not so sure it would hold up today if I tried re-watching it.
    "In any time, there will always be a need for heroes." - the Time Trapper, Legion of Superheroes #61(1994)

"What can I say? I guess I outgrew maturity.." - Bob Chipman

BANNED

Used to love this show as a kid.

The show was OK. Jubilee was annoying as fuck (Jenna Marbles confirms that) and it gets MAJOR points off for never including Kitty Pryde and never properly utilizing Magik and Rachel.

Best translation of the comics to date! Real teamwork and global/diverse mutants, Cyclops is true to form, a noble Charles, good Magneto, excellent Storm, strong and sassy Rogue, charming Gambit, just enough but to too much Wolverine, Beast is better than in the comics, so is Apocalypse! Some great stuff in here, along with annoying/stupid characters, animation errors and over the top voice acting, but still awesome!
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

2 year double post, sorry
    Last edited by Franchise408; 05-22-2016 at 02:53 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by cc008 View Post
    This show was my childhood. The theme song is seared into my brain. I was devastated when they took it off NetFlix.
    I liked the theme song as well

Quote Originally Posted by NewMutant View Post

Whoever photoshopped these Jim Lee images did a nice job. The top image is a mix of several different sources and the bottom is a mix of the trading cards, but the coloring and cropping make it seem like they are the original images.

Quote Originally Posted by nightw1ng View Post
    Whoever photoshopped these Jim Lee images did a nice job. The top image is a mix of several different sources and the bottom is a mix of the trading cards, but the coloring and cropping make it seem like they are the original images.
    I know. I picked the images out and had CBR's very own fortyseven photoshop them. We're the Claremont/Bryne of the photoshop world. Except he does more of the work.

Bendis actually just tweeted one...
    https://mobile.twitter.com/BRIANMBEN...75300213719040

The Best There Is berserkerclaw's Avatar

I love the cartoon. It began, my X-Men obsession. Which is a huge part of why my top four x-men are Wolverine, Gambit,Jubilee and Rogue lol.
    X-Men Forever

Astonishing Member Celestialbodies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ZNOP View Post
    Anyone have or watched the Japanese (Manga?) release of X-Men? I do but, I have yet to seriously get into it...
    I've seen it and I can honestly say it leaves MUCH to be desired.....

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    The animation is top notch, but the storytelling and characterization is pretty bad. In my humble opinion, of course. To each their own.

Correct on all points after the 3:47, mark the entire series goes down the drain in my humble opinion of course!!!

Quote Originally Posted by datugu View Post
    My favorite cartoon when I was a kid... I loved Jubilee who became my favorite mutant ever!!! Also Storm, honestly she was my role model!!!

Is the only Jean Grey incarnation that I liked and when my love/hate to Cyclops begin (and I still have)...

Because I live in Costa Rica, cartoons were the only way we could know these characters (like Spiderman and friends, Hulk, batman, etc...), I didn't read the comics until I was almost 29 years old!!!

This cartoon is in my heart, sometime I see some of my favorite chapters... still the best X-men cartoon ever (and that include the Japanese version that is more like a Soap opera between Cyclops and Jean)...

You are kidding, right? I mean that is the absolute WORST interpretation of Jean in any form of media barring her turn in the DPS, unless of course you were a fan of her all around uselessness and orgasmic moans?

The Best There Is berserkerclaw's Avatar

From Axel in charge it sure sounds like xmen 93 will be in a one shot mini or part of a tie in in an ongoing
    X-Men Forever

Quote Originally Posted by berserkerclaw View Post
    From Axel in charge it sure sounds like xmen 93 will be in a one shot mini or part of a tie in in an ongoing
    Well I'll buy it. I'm still shocked. It is the most out there compared to the other teasers.
    I was trying to do too much and not doing any of it as well as I could. But I've had a change of mind... though not everyone shall enjoy it. I will.

#midnightermonday #uglystepchildren #lolgbtcomedyshow

Tumblr: http://newmutantmayhem.tumblr.com/

IG: https://www.instagram.com/ginger_drew/

BANNED

Talking Happy Halloween!!!

..and a very happy 25th anniversary X-Men: The Animated Series!

Quote Originally Posted by NewMutant View Post
    X-Men: The Animated Series

A change is coming. A new breed of man, gifted with strange and frightening powers, has emerged. Many of these mutants believe they should rule—and that open conflict with the human majority is inevitable.
    Hated and feared by those they've sworn to protect, one group stands in defense of a world on the brink of genetic war. Cyclops. Wolverine. Storm. Jean Grey. Rogue. Beast. Gambit. Jubilee. Students of Professor Charles Xavier.
    Mutants all, children of the atom who have banded together to defend their kind from prejudice and persecution. United, they form a team dedicated to bringing humanity together in peace.
    Stan Lee presents… X-Men: The Animated Series.

At the height of the X-Men's popularity in the (love or hate) 90s era, Fox debuted X-Men: The Animated Series on Oct 31st, 1992.
    The series was Marvel's second attempt to at animated X-Men after their failed "Pryde of the X-Men".
    The series was developed around the Claremont/Byrne/Cockrum era, using Jim Lee's designs, set in the (then) modern 90s using the main comic cast at that time.
    During this five season run they retold many classic X-Stories:
    Phoenix Saga, Proteus, Dark Phoenix Saga, Days of Future Past, Fall of the Mutants, X-tinction Agenda, Mutant Genesis, Phalanx Covenant, Age of Apocalypse, etc.
    The series ended on Sept 20th, 1997.

The animated series is Marvel's longest running cartoon at 76 episodes. Spider-Man: The Animated series comes in second with 65 episodes,
    including a two part episode "Mutant Agenda" which brings the animated X-Men cast over to the Spider-Man cartoon. Storm, would later return in the final season for a "Secret Wars" four part episode.

The show was both acclaimed and commercially successful. Along with Batman: The Animated Series, the series success helped launch numerous comic book shows in the 1990s.
    In its prime, X-Men garnered very high ratings for a Saturday morning cartoon, and like Batman: The Animated Series,
    it received wide critical praise for its portrayal of many different storylines from the comics and adult themes.

In 2009, IGN ranked X-Men as the 13th greatest animated show of all time in their Top 100 list, the third-highest standing for a comic book-adapted show on the list.

The show also ranks in at 106 on IMDB's Highest Rated TV Shows with At Least 5,000 Votes. A spin-off titled "X-Men Adventures" ran along side the series and printed the retold cartoon episodes in comic form.
    The entire series is now available on DVD, but prior it was one of the most requested TV on DVDs.

Many fanboys and non-fanboys alike credit the series as their first exposure to the X-Men.
    The cast remains to be the most well known X-team to date, as well as some of the most well known comic characters.
    Celebrate, appreciate, and love not hate the best there is at what they do, the strangest teens of all... X-Men: The Animated Series!
    Hear, hear!