Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Default Should Miles replace Peter as the main Spider-Man?

So there's been news going around saying that Miles will replace Peter as THE main Spider-Man of the Marvel Universe after Secret Wars. Of course, this is big news that will bring lots of debate among us Spidey fans (and comics fans in general)!

So these news have made me wonder, should Miles replace Peter as the main Spider-Man? I've loved Miles' development in recent years and he's definitely one of the best creative decisions that have spawned from the Ultimate Universe, but if there's something that I find irking about this news is the word "replace". It implies that Miles will be at the focus of new Marvel stories while Peter will go to the background. I'm really not liking this, since it feels as if Marvel will not ever finish Peter's story in the manner that a character so important not just to Marvel but to comics as a whole deserves.

Don't get me wrong, I like the idea of Peter passing on the torch to Miles and becoming his mentor, but I feel that his has to happen after Peter's story finally gets finality. Peter's story will not get proper finality from a mini-series like RYV or by actively shoving him to the background and hoping that the mainstream public forgets that he's a character with 50 years worth of brilliant stories. A proper ending to Peter's tenure as the main Spider-Man in my opinion has to come from at least several years of stories that can serve as that final, organic development for Peter that fans have been clamouring for. I want to see Peter one day attaining the happiness that he deserves and embracing a new role in the Marvel Universe, but before this happens I believe that there are still loose ends that need to be tied as well as places in his character that can still be explored.

In addition to this, we don't know just how exactly Miles will transition into the main Marvel Universe. Just like Peter, a big part of Miles' character comes from his interactions with his supporting cast (Gwen, MJ, Aunt May, Ganke, his father to name a few, all of them members of the Ultimate Universe). I don't know just how Marvel intends to just shoehorn him into the main Marvel Universe and make him the main Spider-Man at the same time. Considering that Bendis' writing style calls for patient reading that can take up volumes in order to be truly appreciated, and given that Marvel is promoting this new, "seasonal" style of relaunching titles after a short period of time, I can only hope that Miles' new book does not end up the way the last volume ended. Miles is Bendis' creation so I'm sure that the character is in good hands, but if Marvel wants to successfully integrate Miles into the main Universe, they will have to give Bendis some space to work with this time around.

We the Spider fans may not have the vision or the capacity to ultimately know the direction in which a character like Peter or Miles should evolve in, that's why at least most of us place our trust in the writers that Marvel deem appropriate to make such decisions. However, many of us have grown with Peter and Miles, so I feel that to an extent our opinion on this turn of events should be heard and considered by other comic book fans and hopefully the people at Marvel. So what do you guys think? Is it time for Peter to pass the torch, or is Peter's tenure as the main Spider-Man just not quite over yet?
    Last edited by jgprime; 06-21-2015 at 01:09 AM.

as ive stated it will only be for the sake of a sales spike and eventually Peter will be THE Spider-Man again I mean Doc Ock was Spider-Man for a while and people jumped up and down not realizing it was for the sake of a story arc
    My opinion is are they going to keep this forever and ever I highly doubt that, just like Thor will be Thor and Steve Rogers will be Cap again maybe not "tomorrow" but eventually

adding something else its like the Internet will crash because of these stunt news think Affleck as Batman and when it does finally come out there will be people who say her this is great so stop with the knee-jerk reactions and wait until you read/ see whats going on before you comment on it

I think so but that's just because I like miles more

Ultimate Member

No, there's no reason to replace Peter Parker neither is there any reason for his story to come an end.

Lots of people are enjoying Parker the way he is and there's room for both Miles and Peter in the Marvek universe.

I won't read it if Spiderman isn't Peter Parker. I'm old and cranky like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Fennrx View Post
    I'm always a little surprised to see such strong reactions to just the *idea* of change, especially in a medium that's celebrated for creativity. I thought that Superior was a bold and overall successful experiment (even the ending was botched for the sake of a movie promotion). This is all for the now, and the status quo will return at some point. What is the resistance to trying something a little different?

Plus there's over 50 years' worth of Peter Parker Spider-Man stories to enjoy and (re)discover. I'm not sure why it's an all-or-nothing take when it comes to new storytelling. To each their own, I guess...

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Co-host of Ultimate Spin - the Spider-Fan podcast for Miles Morales and Spider-Gwen!
    And check out our in-depth podcast interviews with their creators!

Quote Originally Posted by Fennrx View Post
    did you read the comic while Doc Ock was Spider-Man?

All-New Member

Peter Parker is Spider-Man and that is the character that I enjoy. I really don't care about Miles and would stop buying the comics if it's not about Peter. Superior Spider-Man arc was decent, but it was just a temprorary thing, so I knew Peter would eventually be back.

I could say the same thing about Bruce Wayne/Batman. Without him, I wouldn't read and enjoy Batman.

The man behind the mask is very important for me, especially since both Peter and Bruce (or any classic character for that matter) have had years of work to create a great backstory. I'm all in for new superheroes, but against new characters replacing and becoming the new superheroes.

Peter will technically still be around. This isn't the Superior situation where Peter as a character is dead. He will still be around. He's not being turned into an old man like Steve Rogers.

Admittedly, there's still a bit confusion as this is still fresh news, and the original Spider-Man is still there according to ANAD Marvel, but so far, I'm down with this.

BANNED

I think letting Miles have the main spotlight is good. I think there has to be a sense that, yes, this is the main Spider-Man in the Marvel U. But "replace" is probably too strong a word. To have Peter Parker still around, still active, and still headlining his own book is important too. There's room for both so as a fan of Miles and in anticipation that Marvel has great plans for Peter as well, I'm happy.

I just wonder if Nick Lowe will be editing this title along with the Peter Parker books.

Finding a destination in the infinite multiverse

I don't care about Miles anyways, took USM for Ultimate Pete, and left it when he died. I only want to read Peter Parker, no Peter Parker why should I buy it?

Quote Originally Posted by Anubhavkumarc View Post
    I don't care about Miles anyways, took USM for Ultimate Pete, and left it when he died. I only want to read Peter Parker, no Peter Parker why should I buy it?
    Probably fortunate then that Peter still has his own book in Amazing Spider-Man.

Seriously, why are some acting like Peter is dead again when we've seen clear evidence that he's still around, and the news article itself states that Peter is not dead?

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by jgprime View Post
    So there's been news going around saying that Miles will replace Peter as THE main Spider-Man of the Marvel Universe after Secret Wars. Of course, this is big news that will bring lots of debate among us Spidey fans (and comics fans in general)!
    Where was this news released? I read a story that Miles will be getting his own Spider-Man book. That's it. How does this mean that Miles is replacing Peter as the main Spider-Man of the Marvel Universe?

The good kind of noise SpiderOrange's Avatar

I'm of two minds. I think Miles SHOULD replace Pete, but at the same time we JUST lost Pete for a year for Superior.

Also, if Parker is going to be the Mentor, there needs to be some final story that tells why he hangs up the webs. So I guess it depends on how Ultimate End, Renew Your Vows and Secret Wars ends.
    "This. Right here. This is where my life officially jumped the shark." Miles Morales
    "No, that was back on Cowboy world", Ultimate Cartoon Spidey
    ASM Vol 3, #12

iMan 42s

I think it is looking that way that in a few years Miles might actually take on the role of the main spiderman. Coming to the main continuity and becoming adjectiveless, even serving the Avengers definitely is putting him in a spot where he can be a potential spiderman. Marvel is really not making it a secret that they want him around and I can honestly see why.

Regardless of if and when he does Peter will still be around. Peter will likely still be present in some capacity even if he gets demoted to satellite book.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.