Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

I don't think he'll REPLACE Peter as much as compliment him. It's honestly how Peter and Ben SHOULD have gone all those years ago. They're both spider-man, but when they know there's another one out there, they can relax and not take everything on at once. Peter can focus more on Parker Industries, which is apparently still going on.

Quote Originally Posted by bgreg98180 View Post
    Repost from other thread:

Thank you Marvel for many many years of enjoyment. *For over 30 years I grew up with and grew along with the many wonderful characters of Marvel. *

Steven Rogers taught me the value of conviction to do what is right no matter the personal cost and the value of every person.

Donald Blake taught me humility and that power is meant to be of service to others unable to do for themselves.

Tony Stark taught me that the greatest power comes from our intellect and that all of us have the ability to overcome our poor choices to become a better person.

and

Peter Parker taught me about heart. *The strength in caring. *That no matter how difficult life may be, doing for others brings life it's most meaning and happiness.

These were Marvel's characters. *Captain America, Thor, Iron Man, and Spider-Man were just their alter-egos. *The mask they wore to symbolize the lessons they taught.

Shame on Marvel for not realizing this. *In a thirst for broadening it's customer base, it has taken a lazy approach. *Instead of creating new characters of differing age, sex, ethnicity, sexual identity/preference, it has tried a short cut. *It has pushed aside the characters I have learned so much from over the years in order to hijack their alter-egos. *Marvel hijacked Captain America, Thor, Iron Man, and now Spider-Man as if they were the actual Characters that made Marvel so great.

The characters I grew up with taught me about the importance of what lies below the surface, what is inside.

Marvel has forgotten this. *It has now placed more importance on the commercial face, and placed more importance on what is on the outside.

Please, take a breath. Remember what made Marvel great. *Please create new characters, with new genders, ethnicity, sexual identity or preferences. *Please though create the characters as new people that have their own lessons to teach or old lessons that teach them in new ways.

Please though, stop pushing aside the characters that have taught me and millions of others so many valuable lessons in life.

Stop stealing their alter-egos.

Put in the same effort Marvel's founders did so many years ago. *Show you can create new, exciting characters that have their own worth and lessons to teach. *Have these characters develop their own alter-egos that serve as symbols of what riches they have to share.

THIS. THIS. SO MUCH THIS. Thank you So MUCH, bgreg! You had me crying a bit. THAT IS MARVEL not this PC BS. I don't like the changes they are making instead of creating new characters or the way they are treating old ones just to have their MCU cake. What you just said is why I adore Marvel. NOT THIS.

Quote Originally Posted by Wandacrystal22 View Post
    THIS. THIS. SO MUCH THIS. Thank you So MUCH, bgreg! You had me crying a bit. THAT IS MARVEL not this PC BS. I don't like the changes they are making instead of creating new characters or the way they are treating old ones just to have their MCU cake. What you just said is why I adore Marvel. NOT THIS.
    me? i like good stories and interesting developments. no tears shed on my end.

How about no, I hate super hero families like the Bat family and Flash Family Spider-Man doesn't need that gimmick. Let them be killed by the Inheritors.

And nice post by bgreg98180, finally a real Marvel fan that understands.
    Last edited by mysterio1989; 06-21-2015 at 11:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jimishim12 View Post
    Spidey hasn't enough wisdom and clarity to be a mentor, nor has he been a ideal superhero in comparision to the Big Avenger Three in terms of effectiveness or charisma. Peter would be a horrid mentor to Miles and he's not even past his prime or reached his own capabilites as a Spider-Totem or a Science Whiz.

Marvel would be stupid to sideline Peter over Miles as the main Spider-Man.
    is there a better character out there that can teach Miles about his powers? give him insight on how to juggle personal life and super hero activities?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Moriarty View Post
    is there a better character out there that can teach Miles about his powers? give him insight on how to juggle personal life and super hero activities?
    She Hulk? Even Matt Murdock can manage his life better than Peter and his life is pretty grim. Out of the Spiders, I'd say Jessica Drew power wise and then Anya for the life/hero balance.

Quote Originally Posted by mysterio1989 View Post
    finally a real Marvel fan that understands.
    You cross certain lines once you bring up "Real fan" nonsense, and effectively begin insulting instead of respecting other opinions.

I like Peter Parker as much as the next guy, but I'm open to change and seeing where this will go. By not joining with the crowd and being another person who joins on the side of the anti-Miles Morales group, does that mean I'm no longer a Marvel fan?

Everyone is a fan in their own way. If you want to just like Peter Parker, fine. If you want to just like Miles Morales, fine. If you want to like both, good for you too. But never. NEVER. insinuate that anyone that is not on your side of opinion or has something different than yours isn't a true fan.

Incredible Member Highland Chicken's Avatar

No, he shouldn't. Peter Parker is spider-man, trying to shoehorn in another character because of diversity/good PR/to sell new #1s is a terrible idea and I can see sales bombing(for miles) if Peter is still the main focus in ASM, which he will be because of the MCU.

iMan 42s

I swear some people act as if Miles even coexisting is the end of the freaking world. Did anybody complain when 2099 showed up? I mean Miguel is mixed heritage and he is even spiderman in the same continuity as the main one. He even had a pretty darn good volume recently and yet nobody bats an eye but when Miles gets a push people lose there minds.

At some point Peter will be replaced. And nobody give me that crap about "that's not my spiderman", my spiderman was Ben Reilly. To me Peter Parker might as well have been the new kid on the block and had "usurped the mantle". Provided Marvel remain moving forward in time after a point Peter WILL get to a point where he will step down, because narrative speaking he will have become Old enough that it doesn't make sense anymore. Are we really going to have that future where 100 years into the future Peter is STILL 28 from the 100 year anniversary issue?

At some point it will make sense to happen but as of right now Peter isn't going anywhere. He is still active in modern continuity and will remain active for the foreseeable future. Miles being adjectiveless will not stop Amazing from being the big seller that it is because if One More Day/sins past/the relaunch/ and Silk have taught us anything is that we will buy anything Marvel throws at us. Amazing will only stop selling if Marvel stops publishing it. Miles and Peter will coexist for the time being, deal with it.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterParkerSpider-Man View Post
    Because some people like the original thing they like, and don't have to like change? People didn't want to see Shia Labeouf take over as Indiana Jones, either.

Yeah, there are back issues of Spider-Man to read, but would you like it if someone said, "why do we need new tales with Miles? There are years of issues you can go back and re-read." People can read the old stuff, but they want new stuff, too.

There's a big difference between "change" and "completely different," as well. "Change" would be having Peter Parker get married, or giving Peter Parker a symbiote costume. Change is Peter and Jonah becoming step-brothers. Change is Peter Parker working at Horizon labs. "Completely different" is someone else under the costume and calling themselves "Spider-Man."

I don't need everything to be exactly the same 100% of the time, but I do require there be the "essentials" for me to continue reading. One of those essentials is Peter Parker. Peter is the one I grew up reading, he's the one I'm invested in and attached to, he's the one who means more to me than any other fictional character, ever. So I don't appreciate it when Marvel may possibly take him away, put someone else in his place, and say, "He's Spider-Man now. Don't like it? Too bad."

To answer the thread title, no, Miles shouldn't replace Peter. Become his own Spider-Man? Sure. Become the Spider-Man? No.

Give me a book with Peter, as Spider-Man, and I'm a happy customer. I'll check out Miles, too. But I don't read replacements for my favorite characters, because they're irreplaceable to me. I stopped reading Ultimate Spider-Man because Ultimate Miles was a replacement for Ultimate Peter.

If Miles is his own thing, and Peter-Spidey is his own thing, they'll have my money for both books. But if Miles is a replacement = no sale.
    But you're talking about comic books and I just don't get why it has to be an all or nothing approach when it comes to enjoying storytelling.

Did anyone honestly believe for one second that Wolverine is dead forever? Even Superior got people upset to the point where Dan Slott received death threats (seriously WTF). It's just the current part of a story. If you keep doing the same things over and over again, then it becomes tough to sustain from the creative and business side. This isn't political correctness (because like Peter's ethnicity, absolutely nothing about Miles as a character is inherently mixed-race). If anything, it looks like Batman Beyond but for Spider-Man. Why is that so terrible?

Steve Rogers will be Captain America again, Otto Octavius stopped being Spider-Man because Peter returned, Superman came back, it goes on and on and on. No matter what, these things always find a way to reset themselves. So why not relax and enjoy the ride instead of getting proprietorial and/or angry, because it's just for now. You're going to get your All-New Classic Marvel Now relaunch down the road anyway. I don't see the point of dismissing it with "no sale" before anything even happened.
    Co-host of Ultimate Spin - the Spider-Fan podcast for Miles Morales and Spider-Gwen!
    And check out our in-depth podcast interviews with their creators!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by mysterio1989 View Post
    How about no, I hate super hero families like the Bat family and Flash Family Spider-Man doesn't need that gimmick. Let them be killed by the Inheritors.

And nice post by bgreg98180, finally a real Marvel fan that understands.
    Tell me more about these real fans. I imagine it'll somehow line up perfectly with your own likes and dislikes.

I'm open to it, but it will depend on how it's handled. I also hope Peter will still be around.

Incredible Member Highland Chicken's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SuperiorIronman View Post
    I swear some people act as if Miles even coexisting is the end of the freaking world. Did anybody complain when 2099 showed up? I mean Miguel is mixed heritage and he is even spiderman in the same continuity as the main one. He even had a pretty darn good volume recently and yet nobody bats an eye but when Miles gets a push people lose there minds.
    Miguels book wasn't announced before the return of ASM and wasn't announced as the the main spider-man in 616. If anything this proves that people aren't upset that Miles is getting more attention, but that Peter is losing some, which is just adding fuel to the fire of Marvel trying to shun Peter/spider-man.

BANNED

Eventually, yes. I like the idea of the book focusing on the teacher/student relationship between the two.

Quote Originally Posted by Project37 View Post
    Did anyone honestly believe for one second that Wolverine is dead forever? Even Superior got people upset to the point where Dan Slott received death threats (seriously WTF). It's just the current part of a story. If you keep doing the same things over and over again, then it becomes tough to sustain from the creative and business side. This isn't political correctness (because like Peter's ethnicity, absolutely nothing about Miles as a character is inherently mixed-race). If anything, it looks like Batman Beyond but for Spider-Man. Why is that so terrible?
    Though a more accurate Batman Beyond situation is Mayday's, considering that in MC2 Peter was both retired and older while mentoring her as Spider-Girl, just like with Bruce and Terry. He even had a brutal leg injury like Bruce did.

Given the information we have, it looks like Peter will still be somewhat active as Spidey, so he'll probably be mentoring Miles in the same way he's mentored the other younger Spiders, like Anya, and Silk.