Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

DeConnick's Captain Marvel was my favorite comic during her entire run. Sad to see her go, but I'm on board with whatever she does next. Interested in what the next writer does with the character.

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Weevil View Post
    To be fair, the "Best of the Best" tone started with Brian Reed's Ms. Marvel run about a decade ago. His series essentially started with Carol saying "I've got an A-list power set and history, but have been treated as a B-list hero. I want to change that." Kelly Sue continued it, but it's been a part of the character for a long time—what she really did different was promote Carol outside of ordinary comics media and show some response in-universe to her heroics. I don't think the "striving to always be the best" thing will go away, but I'd be surprised if we see anything as overtly praising as the Captain Marvel #17 "I am Spartacus" scene again anytime soon.
    Reed didn't have that worshipful tone, imo. It was all about struggling to attain some manner of it that always seemed to elude Carol. With DeConnick it was just there.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MyriVerse View Post
    That's just fashion. You see women showing more skin 8 hours per day in every office in the western world than men.
    I'd say superheroes are comparable to military, or firefighters, police, sports teams. They're physical. And they're visual needs to afford them some stature. It's got to look impressive.

Do women basketball players or women Marines or women police wear less on their arms and legs, in general (excluding dress uniform skirts), in the 21st Century?

No.

Now, superhero costumes don't have to "make sense." We love them because they don't make sense. But, those little swimsuits and a consistent focus on butt-shots don't command respect. Legless costumes, in general, don't command respect. They just show off legs. Now, not every artist is using that as an excuse to have half her butt hanging out of the costume, but in the several years immediately before the current costume they increasingly were.

Spider-Man designed his costume for wrestling, a sport that usually has bare arms, often bare legs, etc, but he's full-body because it would look stupid with bare limbs.

Dave Cockrum had to petition to get the costume desexed way back in the day, not because it's "practical," but because it looks cooler and more heroic, even if some poor bastard is sad that her belly isn't "visible" any more.

It's been back and forth since then.

The current costume, in my opinion, has gotten more people to take her serious just looking at her, and we've seen a lot less of her butt.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

All-New Member

There's an error in the original article. " Before her takeover of the series, Captain Carol Danvers was a character who had fought crime under many aliases" She is actually a retired full-bird Colonel.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by t hedge coke View Post
    The current costume, in my opinion, has gotten more people to take her serious just looking at her, and we've seen a lot less of her butt.
    It's also a costume that was designed with one eye on the growing cosplay scene. Stephen Wacker (I miss him; what a great editor he was) said he wanted the costume redesigned so girls like his daughter could cosplay Carol.

Now, some people like dressing up in skimpy outfits, of course. But parents don't like their daughters dressing up that way. Wonder Woman's bathing suit is so famous that it just about gets by ("oh, you're Wonder Woman, I get it"), but parents might be uncomfortable with their kids in unfamiliar costumes that show too much skin. The full-body costume isn't necessarily more practical, but it is easier for real people to get away with wearing.

Quote Originally Posted by VPrime View Post
    There's an error in the original article. " Before her takeover of the series, Captain Carol Danvers was a character who had fought crime under many aliases" She is actually a retired full-bird Colonel.
    What's the error? Regardless of rank, she's fought evil under several superhero names (AKA aliases).

I don't think KSD is a bad writer, but I just couldn't enjoy this series (only read to issue 8, fwiw). I like the character, and will try the book again under the new writer.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Wandacrystal22 View Post
    I like Kelly, but her run has been kinda boring. I dropped it when the relaunch came. Please Marvel get someone kickass to do Carol well. JIM STARLIN FTW.
    I wondered why Marvel never hired Jim Starlin to write and illustrate Captain Marvel as this would be a very good fit for the character.

Quote Originally Posted by tsaimelemoni View Post
    What's the error? Regardless of rank, she's fought evil under several superhero names (AKA aliases).
    The error is calling her 'Captain Carol Danvers' when 'Captain' is solely her codename. If we're referring to her by rank, she's Colonel Carol Danvers.

R.e. topic: Sadface. I'm trying not to get too down about this because Captain Marvel will inevitably continue, but it's gonna be weird hearing another 'voice' coming from Carol's mouth post-Secret Warz. And I don't envy the person who has to try and come up with something to follow 'We Will Be The Stars' or 'Every Little Girl Flies' in the ranks of Heartbreaking #1 Monologues.

Quote Originally Posted by Darthfury78 View Post
    I wondered why Marvel never hired Jim Starlin to write and illustrate Captain Marvel as this would be a very good fit for the character.
    Because he'd make it all about Thanos. And the book is not titled ALMIGHTY THANOS, THE MAD TITAN!! also guest starring some marvel chick probably.
    Last edited by CraigTheCylon; 06-21-2015 at 10:37 AM.
    The X-Books Board is wretched and does not deserve the Domino Appreciation Thread.

It was a nice run, but a bit underwhelming. Still like Kelly's strong enthusiasm for Carol. I hope this means Lopez is gone too. His artwork does absolutely nothing for me, and just doesn't work for a Captain Marvel series.

Keeping my fingers crossed for Kelly Thompson, Brian Reed, Warren Ellis, Willow or Gail Simone will take over the mantle for the next Carol series!

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by t hedge coke View Post
    Was it kept afloat despite low sales because of other reasons? Yeah. And, that's not unordinary for any publisher when a product generates good press, garners great reviews, and has a loyal and vocal fanbase.
    Then where's Scarlet Spider?! ;_;

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post
    this was a classic case of telling, not showing, her greatness.
    This is a great way to put it.

Quote Originally Posted by CraigTheCylon View Post
    The error is calling her 'Captain Carol Danvers' when 'Captain' is solely her codename. If we're referring to her by rank, she's Colonel Carol Danvers.
    Reading fail on my part! Thanks lol

Default Mediocre Writer, Brilliant Social Media Shill

Quote Originally Posted by santino27 View Post
    Agreed on all points. Looking forward to whoever comes next.
    Not Thompson, please! Her column has soured me on how she views the world. Lemire would be good or Wilson, who can do character moments and characterization as well as DeConnick but who also has the talent for good plotting DeConnick completely lacks...

Quote Originally Posted by Myetche View Post
    Meh, the first volume was alright, but blanking Carol's memories again and throwing her in space without at least following up on that plot-thread kind of hurt KSD in the long run. Hopefully, the next writer (fingers crossed for G. Willow Wilson) makes her past and her life on Earth important again.

The only bad thing I can see from this is Grace Valentine vanishing. Carol REALLY needs more of her own villains, and Grace fit the Lex Luthor-type super-genius pretty well.
    What I wanted to see is one of the X-Telepaths coming forward after the memory loss with a back up copy of Carol's memory. Would a hero who's already been mind wiped once not have a back up when she's a Friend of the X-Men? Since DeConnick didn't write Carol consistently as an amnesiac in the inferior run that followed, I'll just have to make this my head canon anyways to make up for the poor writing...

Quote Originally Posted by Steve068 View Post
    What I wanted to see is one of the X-Telepaths coming forward after the memory loss with a back up copy of Carol's memory. Would a hero who's already been mind wiped once not have a back up when she's a Friend of the X-Men? Since DeConnick didn't write Carol consistently as an amnesiac in the inferior run that followed, I'll just have to make this my head canon anyways to make up for the poor writing...
    Hasn't Carol and the X-Men long since cut all ties with each other?
    She is Kamala Khan... The Magnificent Ms. Marvel!

Extraordinary Member

Probably for the best, I understand why many appreciate her but under her writing, CM has been pretty poor. There, I said it.

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Myetche View Post
    Hasn't Carol and the X-Men long since cut all ties with each other?
    Once you go X, they sort of own you. Even if all you did was walk them through security a couple times and then hitch a ride into space. They're just clingy.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)