Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    aka "The Watchdog" 8BitRedBeard's Avatar

Default Where's The Love?

So a lot of the comic book companies are going for a more diverse approach whether it's gender, race, sexual orientation, etc. but why can't we get a heavy set hero to look up to as well? All of these characters, regardless of the topics mentioned above, are physically fit one way or another. Why can't we get a bigger built person in the comic book world? Yes, there are bigger people such as Thing and Kingpin but they're portrayed as outcasts and villains. Come on comic book world, give us a bigger person to look up to!
    "With great power comes great responsibility."

Astonishing Member FanboyStranger's Avatar

Did you read Dial H?

I can't say that I have but if it's a joke on bigger set folks, I'm not interested. There's all of this talk about "Bouncing Boy", "Fatman", "Big Bertha", or "The Blob", characters that are given a fatty name or considered villains and grotesque outcasts.

BANNED

Zephyr from Valiant Comics is a relatively positive portrayal.

http://www.comicvine.com/zephyr/4005-12459/

Astonishing Member FanboyStranger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Watchdog View Post
    I can't say that I have but if it's a joke on bigger set folks, I'm not interested. There's all of this talk about "Bouncing Boy", "Fatman", "Big Bertha", or "The Blob", characters that are given a fatty name or considered villains and grotesque outcasts.
    It wasn't. It was about a heavy set guy who becomes a superhero by chance. Really great book, but no one read it. You should check it out.

Thanks, Fanboy. I'll take a look.

So a lot of the comic book companies are going for a more diverse approach whether it's gender, race, sexual orientation, etc. but why can't we get a heavy set hero to look up to as well? All of these characters, regardless of the topics mentioned above, are physically fit one way or another. Why can't we get a bigger built person in the comic book world? Yes, there are bigger people such as Thing and Kingpin but they're portrayed as outcasts and villains. Come on comic book world, give us a bigger person to look up to!
    I agree! There's a couple books out there trying but there's definitely not enough. I applaud Bitch Planet for many things, one of which is that the female protagonists come in all shapes, sizes, and colors. Penny Role is amazing.
    Harley Quinn, New Suicide Squad, Grayson, Batgirl, Red Sonja, The Mighty Thor, Catwoman, Bitch Planet, Secret Six, Silk, Descender, Sabrina, Archie, JLA, DC Bombshells, Black Magick, Paper Girls, Tokyo Ghost, Vampirella, Scarlet Witch, A-Force, Extraordinary X-Men, X-Men '92, The Legend of Wonder Woman, All-New Wolverine, Power Rangers, Hellcat, Monstress, Descender

Quote Originally Posted by FanboyStranger View Post
    It wasn't. It was about a heavy set guy who becomes a superhero by chance. Really great book, but no one read it. You should check it out.
    There was a small story within, near the end of the run where the hero befriends a small sentient children's drawing that really got me in the feels. Yeah Dial H was great and finally got me to read China Mieville's work.

It just irritates me in general that bigger set folks are the ongoing joke in the comic world. I guess bigger set people "aren't humans".

It just irritates me in general that bigger set folks are the ongoing joke in the comic world. I guess bigger set people "aren't humans".
    Uh, just in the comic world? How about in ... every aspect of public life?

Sorry, can't see DC or Marvel ever putting actual front-line creative talent to promote a definitively fat/husky/bbw super-hero.

Not until America and Europe's decades-long obsession with being trim becomes wholly unpopular with their masses.

And judging by the number of new gyms and diets always popping up, I doubt that's changing anytime soon.

Zephyr corresponds to your research, I think. I love the character, the first episodes play on stereotypes and gradually we are shown a concrete reality, bigger are normal. I love Zephyr because we discover that it is a true heroine not just a geek. In all if you do not read the Valiant comics, changes his mind because they are excellent and Harbinger with Zephyr's magic.

BANNED

You know, being healthy and in shape is a better message to send than being a really fat person.
    And I say that as someone that struggles with my weight all the time. Being healthy and losing weight is something a person can achieve, unlike being a super-hero with magic laser eyes, or whatever.

Astonishing Member PretenderNX01's Avatar

Eh, it's less about sending healthy messages and more about sex appeal. If it was about health the guys wound't look all 'roided up and the women would have normal boob sizes.

Bouncing Boy from legion isn't as much of a joke as he might seem
    http://majorspoilers.com/2007/07/29/...-bouncing-boy/

He got rejected by the Legion along with Sun Boy but eventually got in

And after losing his powers, he became part of the Legion Reserves, and later regained his powers and married Duo Damsel

Not a lot of guys get the girl in comics but Chuck did (reboots and threeboots aside)

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by PretenderNX01 View Post
    Eh, it's less about sending healthy messages and more about sex appeal. If it was about health the guys wound't look all 'roided up and the women would have normal boob sizes.
    DC and Marvel's motivation should factor in zero in your defense for the prominent use of an overweight character. It's like promoting smoking tobacco or drinking alcohol in comics as oppose to marijuana because it's illegal in the US. Because the US government isn't doing it because marijuana is unhealthy for you, they're doing it out of an ulterior motive. It is no good for the overall length of life, any more than taking massive amounts of steroids or injecting saline bags into your chest.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by bloodofthegods View Post
    DC and Marvel's motivation should factor in zero in your defense for the prominent use of an overweight character. It's like promoting smoking tobacco or drinking alcohol in comics as oppose to marijuana because it's illegal in the US. Because the US government isn't doing it because marijuana is unhealthy for you, they're doing it out of an ulterior motive. It is no good for the overall length of life, any more than taking massive amounts of steroids or injecting saline bags into your chest.
    Yeah, absolutely. Obesity is a major health problem in the US, and the last thing needed to let people think it is okay to be fat and out of shape.
    It's hard work to lose weight and to eat right, but the end result is worth it.