Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I hope I have offended anyone. Obesity is a problem for a lot of people, I'm sorry if promote obese characters was not well. It's true that comics do not talk enough, we recently had still changes with the character of Amanda Waller, who became a sex symbol.
    "my feminism will be intersectional, or will it be bullshit." Kelly Sue Deconnick
    "All this magic stuff needs new terminology because it's not what people are being told it is at all." Grant Morrison

BANNED

Super-hero comics try to not promote unhealthy activities (smoking, drinking, drugs, etc), especially Marvel and DC.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell D. View Post
    Yeah, absolutely. Obesity is a major health problem in the US, and the last thing needed to let people think it is okay to be fat and out of shape.
    It's hard work to lose weight and to eat right, but the end result is worth it.
    This is all true, but the answer isn't pretending fat people don't exist or always presenting them as villainous or buffoonish characters. Even superhero comics are better when they reflect the diversity of the world.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Hopkins View Post
    This is all true, but the answer isn't pretending fat people don't exist or always presenting them as villainous or buffoonish characters. Even superhero comics are better when they reflect the diversity of the world.
    I have no problem with them being portrayed with dignity, even show them working hard to lose the weight. That makes sense.

aka "The Watchdog" 8BitRedBeard's Avatar

So what makes all of these PC issues important? They're looking for pride and happiness with themselves, right? Well, why can't bigger people be happy and proud of who they are?
    "With great power comes great responsibility."

Super-hero comics try to not promote unhealthy activities (smoking, drinking, drugs, etc), especially Marvel and DC.
    There are comic book heroes that drink, have done drugs, and have smoked...

BANNED

I have no problem with them being portrayed with dignity, even show them working hard to lose the weight. That makes sense.
    What if you show them in a context where they aren't working hard to lose the weight, or their weight loss routine isn't relevant to the story. Do they have to be portrayed negatively in that case?

What if you show them in a context where they aren't working hard to lose the weight, or their weight loss routine isn't relevant to the story. Do they have to be portrayed negatively in that case?
    Thank you.

BANNED

They don't have to be portrayed negatively at all, maybe I didn't make that clear, sorry.

BANNED

They don't have to be portrayed negatively at all, maybe I didn't make that clear, sorry.
    OK. No problem.

Astonishing Member PretenderNX01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bloodofthegods View Post
    DC and Marvel's motivation should factor in zero in your defense for the prominent use of an overweight character.
    Don't tell me it's about promoting "health" when the images being published are not healthy either.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by PretenderNX01 View Post
    Don't tell me it's about promoting "health" when the images being published are not healthy either.
    Right. Them stripper ladies in the funny books got something wrong with their spines and are missing a few ribs. Doesn't look healthy to me.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by PretenderNX01 View Post
    I don't see how you came to the conclusion I was saying that based on my entire post and not just the first sentence.